Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

I'm thinking about cancelling my PS4 preorder

• 100 results
    theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

There's nothing at launch I'm interested in. The only game is AC4. Had Watch_Dogs not been delayed, I would've been way less uncertain.

I also have a gaming PC - EVGA GTX 680, Core i5-3200k, SSD boot drive. The thing screams. I'm having a really hard time justifying spending the $400 on the system when I have the PC.

Am I crazy? I feel the need to always have the latest and greatest, but.. I don't know this time. What are you guys going to do?

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If there's nothing that appeals to you, save the money for upgrades to your pc later. You do have a killer pc, so unless you really want to play infamous or something, cancel it.

I don't have a great pc and prefer console gaming so the choice was easy for me.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I think a lot of people are doubting their next-gen leap for this november since Watch Dogs ( fuck that underscore ) has been pushed back. The PS4 now only one meaningful game, which is Killzone, until Second Son releases. As for the Xbone, it has Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 ( which I don't give a fuck about ) and Ryse, which could be good or bad, depending on how it turns out.

To answer your question, with your current PC, don't bother. You'll be able to play all of 2013's multiplatform ( including AC4 ) and titanfall when it releases next year.

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayeh said:

If there's nothing that appeals to you, save the money for upgrades to your pc later. You do have a killer pc, so unless you really want to play infamous or something, cancel it.

I don't have a great pc and prefer console gaming so the choice was easy for me.

See, I want to play Infamous but it's not until next year. Same with Titanfall and the XBONE - I honestly think I might just wait until those games come out.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Sambambo

Im the same as you. I have spent all this time deciding between a PS4 and an Xbone (picked the Xbone) yet I never thought about getting neither.

At the moment, there is nothing screaming out at me, and I feel with a years worth of gaming output I could get a cheaper console with better games and a good idea of how each has played out.

I am still in limbo at the moment though...

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klei said:

I think a lot of people are doubting their next-gen leap for this november since Watch Dogs ( fuck that underscore ) has been pushed back. The PS4 now only one meaningful game, which is Killzone, until Second Son releases. As for the Xbone, it has Dead Rising 3, Forza 5 ( which I don't give a fuck about ) and Ryse, which could be good or bad, depending on how it turns out.

To answer your question, with your current PC, don't bother. You'll be able to play all of 2013's multiplatform ( including AC4 ) and titanfall when it releases next year.

Yeah I debated the underscore. I didn't even pre-order an XBONE because of the stupidity of what MS was doing with it - and, I could care less about Dead Rising, Forza, or Ryse.

Same with Killzone. I've never been a fan of the series. I just feel insane being into video games and not getting a next-gen console when they come out. I mean, it's next-gen! Yeah.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Well, I might be a bad example as I always like to wait a few months to buy a new consoles but I generally only do that for reasons similar to your dilemma: there's hardly ever anything to pull me over. In short, stick with what you have, wait a bit til there's more to interest you ( if anything) then buy one.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theimmortalbum: With that setup you might be good until Witcher 3 comes out. Please save your money.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With those specs why did you even pre order a ps4!?!

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By theimmortalbum

Uh because I'm really bad and like having new shiny things?

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theimmortalbum: With that setup you might be good until Witcher 3 comes out. Please save your money.

I need to finish Witcher 2.. but might have to restart because I'm like 40 hours in and have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infamous: Second Son comes out in February. It's not like you're going to save money or anything by waiting three months or less, so if I were in your shoes I wouldn't see any point in waiting, IMO. If Infamous was coming out in the summer, or something, I'd totally recommend waiting, though.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

You should keep the pre-order and give me your PC, that way everyone wins.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theimmortalbum: Its a tough decision for sure. On one hand it is sensible to get a PS4 in a few months when Destiny INFAMOUS and other console exclusive games launch. On the other hand Infamous might (Hope not) Suck and you will be able to play games like Witcher 3 and titanfall on the PC.

I would wait for a few months if i were you.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't buy a console for games that will become available on the PC.

Ever.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@klei said:

I think a lot of people are doubting their next-gen leap for this november since Watch Dogs ( fuck that underscore )

That underscore is the only thing holding this industry together. You better respect it!

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Elwoodan

I actually dropped my PS4 preorder and bought a bunch of upgrades for my PC last night. Practically speaking if you have a good PC the only reason to get a console is to play with PC-less friends or play console exclusives. With the lions share of the biggest console exclusives not coming till next year or later you'd probably be better off waiting and seeing if you can't get a used or reduced price console next March or something.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

You don't buy a console for games that will become available on the PC.

Ever.

This man speaks the truth. On a side note, I hope to GOD Destiny gives me the same feeling as the original CS did. No FPS games have top that experience for me in 12 years.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Stick to your PC for now. Get a PS4 if exclusives hit critical mass.

JRock3x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

so apparently there's no MP3 or DLNA functionality at all?

I guess I don't care but I know plenty of people who do - and that was a great piece of functionality on the PS3...

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Syed117

I considered cancelling mine, but will probably end up keeping it.

The launch lineup just doesn't interest me as much as I hoped it would. Sure I would like to try Resogun, but a $400 machine for that and some free to play games that I've already tried on PC?

Still like Forza and Dead rising, so the Xbox one feels a bit better in terms of exclusives. Might want to try Killzone if the reviews are good, but I always felt that was a mediocre franchise in every way possible. It's simply hyped because Sony never had anything to compete with Halo.

Even when next year comes along, I want Infamous and Titanfall, but between those two, it's Titanfall for me. Yeah, I could play on PC, but that's not where my friends will be. It's not even up for discussion. In terms of exclusives, I'm sure the PS4 will be great, but the first six months don't look as good compared to XB1.

As far as multiplayer games, it all depends on the services. PSN has always been a joke compared to live, and while I'm willing to see if it's good this time around, I won't be giving Sony the benefit of the doubt. They've done nothing to show they deserve it. Just saying that it will be great isn't enough. That logic is for children.

If you have a decent PC, you might want to stick with it. Unless you really love Killzone, almost all the other launch games that are multiplatform will be on PC as well.

Edit : The lack of DLNA has pushed me to the brink of cancelling my ps4 pre-order. Even when I wasn't playing games on my PS3, I still used it as a media center. Streaming files from my PC to the PS3 is great. Not sure what they are thinking.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Vinny_Says

@marokai said:

Infamous: Second Son comes out in February. It's not like you're going to save money or anything by waiting three months or less, so if I were in your shoes I wouldn't see any point in waiting, IMO. If Infamous was coming out in the summer, or something, I'd totally recommend waiting, though.

Watch Dogs was to come out at launch no less than what....3 weeks ago? Dude will be really bummed out if they delayed Second Son.

If you have a good PC and you don't want any of the launch exclusives, cancel and wait until something you want actually comes out. This will also act as a buffer if the PS4 has some weird technical issues at launch.

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

Watch Dogs was to come out at launch no less than what....3 weeks ago? Dude will be really bummed out if they delayed Second Son.

If you have a good PC and you don't want any of the launch exclusives, cancel and wait until something you want actually comes out. This will also act as a buffer if the PS4 has some weird technical issues at launch.

Yeah. This is my thought. It just seems really crazy to me to not have it day one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for console price drops and actual good games coming out. :-)

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With a PC like that, there's no reason to get one at launch(unless you're REALLY into Killzone, which you aren't). I dropped my preorder a few weeks ago and I'm really glad I did. Hold off until there are more quality exclusives out and the numerous inevitable launch issues are ironed out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

These consoles are not dropping in price for quite some time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @wewantsthering said:

I don't think they'll have any compelling exclusives for quite some time. :-)

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

You should cancel your preorders, and so should everyone else.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By trylks

@jimmyfenix said:

Exactly my thoughts.

also...

@jimmyfenix said:

Uh because I'm really bad and like having new shiny things?

Then give me your old PC and I'll give you a newer and shiniermirror. :P

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait. You can play most multiplatform games on your PC, only missing out on a handful of exclusives. Give it a couple of years and you'll be able to get the consoles cheaper, when there's a decent library of games to pick up and nasty technical issues have been sorted out. There's little benefit to being an early adopter.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I don't blame anyone for thinking this way. $400 is alot of mula, and if the line up isn't exciting to you, dude, just cancel it.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @wewantsthering said:

With both consoles having there biggest launches of all time ? I agree with Humanity these two consoles wont be dropping in price for quite some time.

In terms of games we have The witness , Quantum break , Infamous , Destiny , Halo , The Order: 1886 all console exclusive games slated for 2014

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have an all right gaming pc and your only interested in one game at launch, then I'd definitely say wait.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Follow Will Smith's golden rule and buy something for what it is, not what it could be. If the launch lineup isn't grabbing you, then wait until there are games that do. The machines aren't going anywhere.

Plus you have a PC, which let's be honest here, is the real best option.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

waiting it out till the new year when some games actually come out. Just SLI'd my 660's to keep me going for another 6 months when watch dogs trys to eat my computer alive

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vinny_Says

@vinny_says said:

@marokai said:

Yeah. This is my thought. It just seems really crazy to me to not have it day one.

Oh I know what you mean, I buy so many games on day 1 and don't play them until a good 3-4 weeks later. You need to overcome this feeling of wanting things as soon as they come out, it's much brighter on the other side.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wewantsthering said:

@humanity said:
    @wewantsthering said:

With both consoles having there biggest launches of all time ? I agree with Humanity these two consoles wont be dropping in price for quite some time.

In terms of games we have The witness , Quantum break , Infamous , Destiny , Halo , The Order: 1886 all console exclusive games slated for 2014

None of those games are enough to pull me in honestly. They are all the kind of stuff that will be cool to play discounted in two years. That's exactly what I did with the last generation and it saved me a lot of money. I still get to play all the great games, but don't have to pay full price for a bunch for a bunch of early, crappy launch games to make my purchase feel worth while. A lot of the big games are coming to PC to so I will play them there. Destiny is really the only game in that bunch that I'll be a little annoyed about not being able to play when it comes out.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I was reluctant, as it would have been the first console i ever bought at launch, but since i rarely buy new games it didnt make sense for me to buy so i cancelled a few weeks back. Besides, Im knee deep in backlog, there are always bunch of unknown titles that hit steam which i am finding a lot more interesting. I will eventually buy both an X1, and PS4 but right now, it would probably be sitting there stag along side the Xbox 360. I understand those who want to have it but listening to a review of the PS4 version of Battliefield and how it is now equal to what the PC has been doing for the past 5 years made me know i made the right decision.

What Im playing

Deus Ex Human Rev.(PC)

GTAV(PS3)

Bionic Dues(PC)

Stanley Parabola(PC)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theimmortalbum: You're not crazy. Canceling your pre-order seems perfectly reasonable if nothing necessarily appeals to you at launch. Unless you're really into the particular experience of being an owner at launch, I don't see why you would maintain a pre-order for it.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's nothing at launch I'm interested in. The only game is AC4. Had Watch_Dogs not been delayed, I would've been way less uncertain.

I also have a gaming PC - EVGA GTX 680, Core i5-3200k, SSD boot drive. The thing screams. I'm having a really hard time justifying spending the $400 on the system when I have the PC.

Am I crazy? I feel the need to always have the latest and greatest, but.. I don't know this time. What are you guys going to do?

Go for it. $400 towards your PC sounds like an amazing upgrade.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Tom_omb

After the delay of Watch Dogs I canceled my ps4 preorder. Buying a Wii U the week before that news dropped may have also had something to do with it.

I may not be 100% confidant in my decision, but I'm happy I'll keep a few extra dollars in my bank. While I'm not experiencing the launch first hand, I am looking forward to watching the next few months play out as an observer. If Giant Bomb's coverage in November is half as good as it was for the Wii U launch, it'll satisfy my "new shiny" cravings until it's time for me to buy a ps4.

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theimmortalbum said:

Go for it. $400 towards your PC sounds like an amazing upgrade.

Problem is, there's not a lot I'd upgrade on it right now. Maybe the processor? But that's about it. I'm going to buy AC4 (360), BF4, and who knows what else instead.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the same boat. I was getting a PS4 to play Watch Dogs and AC4 (my PC is primarily for work...), but it's looking like I'll pick up a PS4 next summer. I have the money set aside for it, but at that point the games will have come down in price, and hopefully the IGC will have filled out a bit.

Was really excited for Watch Dogs....

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Waiting until something worth a damn to come out to buy a PS4.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I canceled mine as well. I know I'm eventually going to want to play Killzone, InFamous, Destiny, Metal Gear etc, but for now, my PC is more than enough for gaming, and I'm going to spend that money on... a retina iPad Mini, probably.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Do you think i'll be good for TW3 with a core i7 3630 and GT 650m? (its a laptop and I wouldn't be able to upgrade.)

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Fuck cancelling! Sell the system!

I'm keeping my... Watch Dogs was never a draw. I want new console and BF4 plus the slew of indie games is enough for me.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Fuck cancelling! Sell the system!

I'm keeping my... Watch Dogs was never a draw. I want new console and BF4 plus the slew of indie games is enough for me.

This. I hate Killzone but you won't see me cancelling, 400 now or 1000 later. Im going with 1000 later.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@shinjin977 said:

Do you think i'll be good for TW3 with a core i7 3630 and GT 650m? (its a laptop and I wouldn't be able to upgrade.)

Probably. The Witcher 2 had good scalability. You probably will be able to run the game at your native resolution, just don't expect all the bells and whistles.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rick_Fingers

I'd say wait.

Plus, if one of the consoles creams the other up front, you might see some sharper price drops than people are expecting, as I don't think either company are in a position to let their system get trounced...no matter the cost.

YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.