Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Playstation TV

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Does anyone know if the PSTV is going to be something that can be used by itself without a PS4? I understand that it will be able to stream games and movies/tv from a PS4, but it seems like it will also be able to play PS/PS2 and television services (netflix, hulu, etc)...I mean one would have to expect this considering it being labeled "PS TV."

Also interested in finding out if this means someone can being using the PS4 for TV viewing (netflix, hulu, etc) while a person with the Vita is using it for PS4 games or vice versa...and dare I say it, both playing PS4 games simultaneously.

On a side note, a wiki page probably needs to be created soon for this seeing as it is hardware and all, and if it can play games independently which I can't seem to figure out, then it is considered a platform. Just figured this out now, it can play a limited number of Vita games, PS1, PSP, and later this year will be able to use PSNow.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 0

Playstation TV is basically just a Vita that can be hooked up to a TV with limits on games it can play.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

@joey said:

Playstation TV is basically just a Vita that can be hooked up to a TV with limits on games it can play.

Pretty much this. It'll play some Vita and PSP games as well as whatever PS1 games work on the Vita. There are streaming apps on Vita like Netflix, etc. I don't know how those will actually look on a bigger screen. Maybe they'll make separate apps for it?

The PS4 will not be able run two different applications at the same time they way you're imagining.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joey said:

I'm not familiar with Vitas but if one person is streaming to the Vita, can the other person still use the PS4?

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

@joey said:

Pretty much this. It'll play some Vita and PSP games as well as whatever PS1 games work on the Vita. There are streaming apps on Vita like Netflix, etc. I don't know how those will actually look on a bigger screen. Maybe they'll make separate apps for it?

The PS4 will not be able run two different applications at the same time they way you're imagining.

So in other words, the PSTV is only mirroring whatever the PS4 is doing? That wouldn't be that great if that's what's really going on.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@tariqari: You cant stream a game out from a PS4 to the PlayStation TV and be playing another game from the same PS4. Its basically sending the video feed from the PS4 over WiFi rather then the HDMI port and being controlled by the PSTV, this way it is more convenient then having to move the PS4 itself to another room to use another TV. A PS4 still only has so much processing power, you cant just magically make it play two full PS4 games.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's like a Roku but you can play Playstation stuff on it. I think it's going to be pretty great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You do not need a PS4 to use it.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tariqari: You cant stream a game out from a PS4 to the PlayStation TV and be playing another game from the same PS4. Its basically sending the video feed from the PS4 over WiFi rather then the HDMI port and being controlled by the PSTV, this way it is more convenient then having to move the PS4 itself to another room to use another TV. A PS4 still only has so much processing power, you cant just magically make it play two full PS4 games.

Then you also wouldn't be able to use the PS4 for anything else while that is happening, correct? Like say someone want's to use the PS4 for Netflix, then you can't stream games to the PSTV?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tariqari: Correct, the PS4 acts exactly like it normally does, its just that its streaming the video out and being controlled by the PSTV. You can only do what the PS4 itself is capable of doing on its own, no more or less.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You could use the Playstation TV for Netflix though since it has it's own Netflix app and then just play a game on your PS4.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

But can I use my PS4 to stream games from my gaming PC?

Fuck all this. HDBaseT 2.0 !

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

It seems like a neat way to check out Vita games if you don't have one, and might be the perfect platform for PS Now.

aidros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By aidros

Not assuming it will happen, but how likely is it that this will support the Dualshock 4? I've seen it advertised many places with a DS 3, but the DS 4 is the superior controller and support for it would absolutely cement my purchasing decision if I could use it with that right away.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.