Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 owners plz answer, re:disc install / playgo caching

• 60 results
    abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By abrasion

@bslayer said:
    Maybe you'll find out for sure on the livestream?

I don't wanna bug the guys on the livestream about it, I mean I've admitted - it's not important for most users. GiantBomb focus on the overall stuff not obscure little things

@kadash299 said:

@abrasion: if you're really that serious about loads to spend 600 on a ps4 ssd, consider buying a Pc, especially as a single player person, as you can expand on a game so much more on a pc, Also when asking a question, try not to be such a dick to the responders

I'd say people who continually don't get that I have 0 interest in PC gaming and insist that anyone who doesn't use a console "my way" must be a PC gamer, is ,... you know - probably being a dick themselves maybe?

Different people want different stuff, who would've guessed?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By TheHT

They clearly stated it's the first loads that're longer. Chill the fuck out.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By abrasion
    @theht said:

They clearly stated it's the first loads that're longer. Chill the fuck out.

Read the whole thread (properly) to get an understanding of what it's about. I get that they said the first loads are longer,........ that's what I'm trying to avoid and the entire point of this thread.

Can you reduce the excessive load times due to caching and get good load times off the bat for the initial play through?

That's it, that's what a small % of us will really want to know, NOT "hurrr you're dumb just deal with it" it's a question, that's it.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By abrasion

I'm asking questions which people seem unwilling/unable to answer or insisting I change my stance because they think differently, I don't think wanting an answer if my question is even possible is unreasonable, your response however is very much so.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@abrasion: Dude, it's the very first load. You'll be fine if the very first load is long and then isn't that long again.

Just kick your feet up, take a breath, and relax. Video games.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

OP, you sound like a complete psychopath. Please calm down and remember that these are just video games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#59  Edited By musubi

Man, and I thought I could be neurotic. This thread keeps on giving.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By abrasion
    @theht said:

@abrasion: Dude, it's the very first load. You'll be fine if the very first load is long and then isn't that long again.

Just kick your feet up, take a breath, and relax. Video games.

I'm exclusively a single player, storyline focused gamer,...... the very first load is generally the only load I'll ever do.... I don't re-play my games, I don't play multiplayer. So my first experience with the games will, you know, be kind of not as good as it could be and I think that's pretty unfortunate dude.

@dallas_raines said:

OP, you sound like a complete psychopath. Please calm down and remember that these are just video games.

Just quite pedantic and really hate load times dude :)
    It's not unreasonable to want to maximimise my experience and infact watching the GiantBomb Stream, it seems Brad seemed to express he wanted exactly the same stuff I've been asking for, I'm not the only one.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abrasion: one more question Op, exactly what single player games do you think are worth that money on the ps4 right now to even have this problem and debate? Knack? Lol

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abrasion: one more question Op, exactly what single player games do you think are worth that money on the ps4 right now to even have this problem and debate? Knack? Lol

It's about how the PlayGo tech works long term and the future of the system, I'm purchasing it for the potential long term (just like the PS3) than the current games. Although I am quite interested in KillZone, I liked 2 and 3.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Tyrrael

How do you even install games? I didn't see an option anywhere, even when I pressed the Options button.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyrrael said:

How do you even install games? I didn't see an option anywhere, even when I pressed the Options button.

From what I can tell there's no way to manually force this, it's all entirely automated.

The info I got from watching the GB stream it APPEARS that an initial executable will copy (install) automatically to the PS4, preventing you from launching the game. When this is completed, you can then launch it.
    It will then auto-install* to the hard disk.
    OR
    It might also auto-install to the hard disk, without opening the game, just leaving it at the dashboard, this isn't entirely clear but I think at least one game did that?

From what I could tell, different games did different things, it seems to be developer controlled, they can install / not install if they like. (Some games only required 16mbytes for example)
    So I guess the point of my original question is now changed somewhat to the following:

If the game is one of the ones that does any type of install / caching, how can I ensure this process is done entirely, before launching the game?

Hope this helps your question, I'm a little bit more clear on the process,.. kind of a little bit but at this point it seems so ... inconclusive even from the stream that I'm just going to have to do some testing when mine arrives - and sadly it seems it may need testing on a game by game basis.
    Either way, when I know, I'll be sure to update this thread. I know quite a few people don't like so many posts for such a pedantic thing but I do know a few SSD owners will end up appreciating it.

(Also: Off topic, from the stream? Wow, that poor HDD, the thrash was endless on Brads, it was loading the game to play, caching the game to HDD from the disc, downloading other games in the background, recording the video stream / share data and worst of all....... it seems downloads still need to perform some kind of install process (it's just automated) Just a complete I/O thrash session. Fragmentation city, HDD head madness. I really really hope they add an option for staggered downloads (1 at a time) and some kind of throttling. Also kinda wish you could turn off sharing, I've got no use for it at all in Australia, but anyhow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.