Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Report: Sony To Reveal PS4 Upgrade Sept 7th

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Coming from the super team themselves at VICE Gaming.

Sony will reveal the first details on an upgraded PlayStation 4 at a September 7 event in New York, French gaming website Gameblog reported today. VICE Gaming can confirm that it's heard the same information from multiple sources familiar with the planned rollout for the new machine. These sources chose to remain anonymous because they are not authorized to speak publicly about Sony's plans.

One source, who chose to remain anonymous, described the upcoming event as a "technical showcase." As recently as a few weeks ago, Sony was still nailing down what would actually be shown.

Another source indicated to VICE Gaming that finalized development kits would be sent to developers around the same time.

Bonus, this is great:

No Caption Provided

As someone who already owns a PS4, seeing a rumour about an updated PS4 makes me wonder if I should have just built a PC instead. I get why Sony and Microsoft are doing this, buuuuuut at this point I'd rather lay money down on building a PC and upgrading whenever I want to.

What do you guys think? Are you going to end up picking up a PS4.5/Neo/Thing?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Very excited to see what Knack 2 looks like.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I welcome our new shorter console cycles. Can't wait to buy one.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's my birthday! They're stealing my thunder!!! Not cool, Sony.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andrew House is sitting somewhere knowing Dan will buy this regardless.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

SCOOPS!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7 MattyFTM  Moderator

It's pretty funny that the article has a byline from Patrick and Austin, whilst it links to the Kotaku article by Patrick originally revealing the Neo, and the Austin article at Giant Bomb with the first leaked details.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puchiko said:

I welcome our new shorter console cycles. Can't wait to buy one.

I second this brother!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Given that I only play my PS4 with friends, and my Xbox One never, I understand these upgrades aren't for me. I'm super happy though that the games will continue to work on the old consoles for now and I'll keep putting most of my money into PC gaming.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By jkz

With the way the console business model's going I'm feeling preeeeety good about having just upgraded my PC. Still interested to see the details at least, though.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

Patrick Klepek and Austin Walker AKA #TEAMSCOOPS

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

I'm not really for a two year upgrade, especially if it costs what a normal system costs (though I'm thinking more about what the PS3 costed at launch I guess, so worst case), but I do like more power in consoles. I may upgrade to the new Scorpio, and perhaps the Neo. I don't know. If the Neo is just like the recent updated One, then I have no desire for that kind of thing. I may have to start learning how to build PC's, but I kind of wish that wouldn't have to come about (as in, feeling somewhat forced to, just to get what I want out of gaming for the money). To me, it all comes down to price, and then whether the power of the systems are great enough compared to the last version. Although... How much room do we have for getting all these?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c
    deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so is this going to only be useful if you have a 4K tv? or will games look better even if you have a 1080p tv?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Doc and Scoops at it again.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

They rumor there is supposed to be better optimized menus and stuff. But I hope there is a performance upgrade like there is for the Xbox S. Digital Foundry revealed that the Xbox S has an overclocked GPU which resulted in a frame-rate increase in some games up to 10 frames. They are clearly making it NEO and PS VR ready, hopefully this results in better FPS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.