Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

You stood in line on launch day and didn't preorder. Did you receive a PS4?

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Poll You stood in line on launch day and didn't preorder. Did you receive a PS4? (82 votes)

Yes 38%
    No 59%

I'm interested in knowing the proportion of people who succeeded in obtaining a PS4 on launch day without having preordered ahead of time. I was one of those in line, but then I left early after taking up the Amazon deal, so I couldn't get an accurate reading from my store. My assumption is that most of the people in line received one, if the estimations from the Best Buy employees happened to be true.

• 
    Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

I went into my local EB this morning (about an hour ago) to trade some games towards their next-gen counterparts. There were probably twenty people there, maybe a third attempted to pick up the PS4 without pre-ordering and were shot down until NEXT YEAR.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@deranged said:

I went into my local EB this morning (about an hour ago) to trade some games towards their next-gen counterparts. There were probably twenty people there, maybe a third attempted to pick up the PS4 without pre-ordering and were shot down until NEXT YEAR.

Well that is EB, not a real store like Futureshop? Is that what you guys have in Canada? Best Buy? Anyway, these guys are never to be trusted as a gauge of what stock is really like.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I wish you added a see results option so I can see the results without skewing them.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

@deranged said:

Well that is EB, not a real store like Futureshop? Is that what you guys have in Canada? Best Buy? Anyway, these guys are never to be trusted as a gauge of what stock is really like.

What? EB is the same thing as GameStop dude. We also have Future Shop, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target. I'd be surprised if it wasn't entirely identical to what is available in the U.S.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Talked to the guy at my Gamestop. Dude said that they only had a few non preorders available and were immediately sold at midnight.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easy as pie. I went into Target to return some things this morning (I was there about 10 minutes after they opened and had no intention of getting a PS4 this year), and as I walked in (I guess I look like a gamer) an employee asked me if I was there for the PS4...I asked her if they had any and she said about 10 more...I said sure, she handed me a card with a number on it, and I stood in line for 15 minutes and took one home. Apparently what happened is Target only sold a certain number of systems at midnight and held onto some for the morning shoppers. Easiest system purchase ever.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gamestop should not be the litmus test for this endeavor. I remember trying to get a PS Move controller bundle when they came out, and the Gamestop clerk scolded me for not preordering and told me I'd have to check back in two weeks.

I walked across the street to Best Buy, who had a display that was chock full of them. I bought two and a camera without issue. Gamestop can suck my dick.

And yes, I know, I have no room to talk because I went and bought a PS Move the day it came out. Trust me......I know.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I learned from the Xbox 2001 and PS2 launches to not buy into the idea that you won't be able to find one till Xmas. If you were willing to show up at 6 to 8 pm yesterday at a Walmart you'd most definitely get a ticket. I showed at 1030 and was 6/7 in line. Then of course like another seven people showed up at 1130 after the line was full. I think people assume Best Buy and Gamestop where lines are 50 people long with preordered folks and non preorder folks grouped up outside the store. While places like Kmart and Walmart had no preorder systems and just 2-10 for the general public they were still your best bet if you were willing to sit for four hours. 24 hour camping is bullshit and totally unnecessary

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I can't see the poll without voting. Argsfhghfgdt.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Coafi

@deranged said:

That's BS. They will probably receive more stock around Black Friday at the latest.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Deranged

@coafi said:

@deranged said:

That's BS. They will probably receive more stock around Black Friday at the latest.

Not what the manager said :/ He said they are out of stock until January at the earliest.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

@thehbk said:

@deranged said:

What? EB is the same thing as GameStop dude. We also have Future Shop, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target. I'd be surprised if it wasn't entirely identical to what is available in the U.S.

Yeah I know, just that EB is not used as the name in the states so I assumed you were in Canada, my point being that bigger box stores like Best Buy and Target are a better place to check. Gamestop/EB are notorious for selling out people's pre orders and keeping new stock to lock into bundles. And how many countless stories do we get from people who go into an EB or GS and ask for something but the guy tells them no if they didn't preorder then walk across the street to get it where they have a shit load. For a store that gets thought of as the defacto place to get gaming stuff, they don't keep much inventory because they just don't have the space and choose to focus on used. They will gladly sell you a used PS4 later on.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Gruebacca

Oh, yeah. forgot the "see results" option. Woops!

Currently, it's 38% Yes and 62% No.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Gamestop should not be the litmus test for this endeavor. I remember trying to get a PS Move controller bundle when they came out, and the Gamestop clerk scolded me for not preordering and told me I'd have to check back in two weeks.

I walked across the street to Best Buy, who had a display that was chock full of them. I bought two and a camera without issue. Gamestop can suck my dick.

And yes, I know, I have no room to talk because I went and bought a PS Move the day it came out. Trust me......I know.

Same exact scenario played out for me but with Luigi's Mansion 2. Gamestop and Walmart share a parking lot so it was quick and painless to stroll over there after the gamestop clerk told me I had to pre-order the game. They are constantly pulling this shit.

paulmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I did.
    Went to Best Buy last night. I'd say I was around one of 60 people there that hadn't pre-ordered. We all got one.

MacGoesZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't even wait in line. I went to the Costco around 1030 and picked one right up.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Considering that both my Gamestop and Wal-mart had 10 consoles each, it seemed pretty impossible to get one last night if you didn't pre order... I didn't personally go, but I did call just to see if they had any left over.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By marc

I picked my preorder unit at midnight, then went to best buy wth a friend around 5am for their 8am opening, and they had 40 unreserved units. i was #1 in line lol. figured i may as well grab a second to see what they start selling for online as xmas draws near.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep futureshop was out but walmart said they asked sony to send them extra to that location? Idk but I'm hype.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thirty consoles for pick up by non pre-orderers were claimed by a line of exactly thirty people at my Best Buy last night. Impressed.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Deranged

@thehbk said:

Yeah I know, just that EB is not used as the name in the states so I assumed you were in Canada, my point being that bigger box stores like Best Buy and Target are a better place to check. Gamestop/EB are notorious for selling out people's pre orders and keeping new stock to lock into bundles. And how many countless stories do we get from people who go into an EB or GS and ask for something but the guy tells them no if they didn't preorder then walk across the street to get it where they have a shit load. For a store that gets thought of as the defacto place to get gaming stuff, they don't keep much inventory because they just don't have the space and choose to focus on used. They will gladly sell you a used PS4 later on.

Ah my bad dude, I guess I just misunderstood you LOL! Yeah, I feel really bad for those who depend solely on EB/Gamestop for hardware. I'm picking up my XONE next week and I won't be getting a PS4 until at least Spring next year but thanks for looking out!

D_Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By D_Mac
    No Caption Provided

Futureshop in Toronto was advertising that they had a minimum of 25 "unreserved units" per store.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

didn't this time, but my best friend got the very last one his local gamestop had.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d_mac: Windsor is getting jipped in that regard :(

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Gamestop is actually the LAST place to go to get one since pre-orders is their whole schtick. THey would be happiest if they never had anything in stock, ever.

I remember the launch of Halo 3. A guy at my work was smugly telling me he preordered his. I told him I planned to get it, but hadn't preordered anything. He laughed at me and told me "good luck getting one! I just picked mine up at Gamestop and they said they wouldn't have any more until next week!". I got in my car, drove to Sears, where they had like 20, paid and drove back to work. The whole process took 30 minutes.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted yes to see the results out of curiosity

infectedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By infectedhero

Nope now i am just waiting.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Budwyzer

I voted yes to see the results out of curiosity

^

Waiting until the PS4 SLIM comes out and getting that one. It probably won't wobble. :P

infectedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By infectedhero
    DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After work (3-3:30pm) i went to a target that just opened a couple days ago by my place and the dude in electronics was unloading a card of PS4's into the cabinet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.