Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 18, 2012

Characters from various Sony franchises, and several guests from multi-platform games of the time. Battle it out in this crossover platform fighting game intended to compete with Nintendo's Super Smash Bros.!

Hideki Kamiya calls Sony all-star super smash bros a rip-off

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#51  Edited By Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

Oh...

@Deusx said:

For the Nintendo DS. Oh you guys make me laugh. You know Smash Brothers was released on 1999, right?

But, weren't you talking as if SSB was the only game of its kind before All-Stars?

No. He's asking for a Smash Bros.-quality Smash Bros. game before there was Smash Bros.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#52  Edited By Daneian

@Milkman said:

And to all the people having a serious debate this...really?

Shh...let this happen...please dear god, let them do this...

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By kindgineer

@Deusx: I'm sorry, but adjectives you used to described Sony's IP directly indicate your bias on this sort of subject. No, there is nothing wrong with taking the mechanics of Super Smash Bros. and making another game out of it. The only reason you can even detail it as unique is because of the fact that Nintendo used first-party characters for their fighters and melded a couple of different gaming qualities together. This is no different than what Blizzard did with World of Warcraft to the MMO genre. Nearly every single mechanic had already existed and the company took them all together and made their own variation of it. Nintendo is no different in this and it's criminal to believe that this type of outcry is acceptable in an artistic medium like gaming.

We should be favouring this sort of imitation, not chastising it as "stealing" because this entire industry would be hypocritical to that notion. Doom came out and really unleashed the "FPS" style of game and every FPS today gives homage to that. It's the exact same premise, the only difference is that it's happening in 2012 and for some reason every one has to defend something to prove their loyalty.

I look forward to All-Stars because the genre needs competition. There is nothing wrong if that competition is the same product as long as the core material inside is different enough. It is in the idea that it's all Sony IP's and that is enough for any sane person. I guarantee you that if Sony decided to change up All-Stars enough to appease the individuals that are taking up arms, it would be chastised for doing so and seen as just another game going down the drain. Not only is Sony smart in this decision, but the idea that this "anger" towards Sony is anything but fanboyism is a little far-fetched.

I guarantee you that if you try to find a game that was so unique in the industry that it took nothing from somewhere else, you will never find one. Sony may have switched the visuals and kept the mechanics, because that is a smart move. And after the dust settles and people play it, the genre can finally move forward without the fanboyist bullshit holding it back from having multiple titles instead of solely "Super Smash Bros."

EDIT: Also, I know it is easy to compare the EA/Zynga case with this one, but it's not comparable. There is a reason Nintendo cannot step out of the closet and take Sony to court and win. When it all boils down to it, Super Smash Bros. is nothing but a free-formed brawler that happens to change levels, have multiple characters, and drop items all over the place. It's not unique enough to merit the hatred being pointed at Sony.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By mesoian
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#55  Edited By JasonR86

He's an idiot. It's a pointless thing to say no matter how true it might be.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Deusx

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Oh...

@Deusx said:

For the Nintendo DS. Oh you guys make me laugh. You know Smash Brothers was released on 1999, right?

But, weren't you talking as if SSB was the only game of its kind before All-Stars?

No. He's asking for a Smash Bros.-quality Smash Bros. game before there was Smash Bros.

Yeah, sorry if I sound like an asshole. Not even defending SSB here, just saying, All-stars is a rip-off. Nothing Nintendo can do about it but people who are already cheering for the game should know where those ideas came from.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By falserelic

I got no interest in the game, but it does look like a rip off of smash bros.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel: Ah, then I misunderstood. Yeah, I'm not even aware of that many SSB-like games before Super Smash at all.

@Deusx said:

Yeah, sorry if I sound like an asshole. Not even defending SSB here, just saying, All-stars is a rip-off. Nothing Nintendo can do about it but people who are already cheering for the game should know where those ideas came from.

Why is this a bad thing? What does this possibly do to you? Like I stated before: if anything, this can only benefit us, the consumers. Not only can those who have never had Nintendo consoles but Sony ones finally experience a game like Super Smash, but because of how close All-Stars is to SSB, it will directly compete against it. Competition naturally makes for a better product, and we can only profit from a better product as the players. Plus, those who have actually played the game have said good things about it, so even if it's a rip-off, at least many say it's a quality one.

Plus, placing such an importance on competitive play, something that I appreciate, would never be done by the Super Smash developers but is being done by SuperBot.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By azteris

The problem with saying something is a rip-off is that it implies that's it's of lesser quality. And seeing as very few people outside of the press have actually played the game, not many people are actually qualified to say much about the quality of the game. But here you have an entire forum of "RIP OFF DUR DUR".

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ma_rc_01

@Daneian said:

@49th said:

No shit kojima go back to metal gear

uhh...

Yeah, but I also thought it was kojima at first glance, then I read it again.

Also, of course it's a ripoff, but I like my playstation characters more than I like the nintendo ones.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#61  Edited By BeachThunder

This isn't exactly breaking news; to be honest, it really does look like a reskinning of the Smash Bros. games.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By kindgineer

@Deusx said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Deusx said:

Smash bros IS unique. Theres NEVER been a fighting/brawling game like that.

You sure?

I rephrase that, it IS unique in the sense that it is the first game that did the stuff it does well. There´s been similar games like Power Stone 2 and others but the concept wasn´t perfectioned since Smash Bros and IF you can find a game that looks as similar as All-Stars does to Smash bros then fuck you too Nintendo for stealing shit.

The words I highlighted in bold are the direct evidence in proving my point. The reason the formula has never been perfected is because no-one has truly dared the waters. Let's face it, there have been Super Smash Bros. "clones" over the past years like Small Arms that tried to be different, and failed. Super Smash Bros. is a "Free-roam brawler" and deserves no more recognition than actually boosting the idea forward. If developers were free to mimic Super Smash Bros. without the hatred that ensues, we would actually see more renditions of it rather than having to focus only on the idea that Sony copied and pasted the idea onto their own system.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By MethodMan008

The only SSB game I remember playing is the 64 one.. Pretty confident that didn't have super meters/supers... Do the later SSB games have those?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By turboman

Bioshock is a ripoff of Halo then... who cares? If it's a fun game, then let it be fun for the consumers.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#65  Edited By C2C

I am really enjoying his reactions to all of this. Takes guts to not only call that game "a rip-off and moral-less" but to stick to his guns even in the face of the Sony defense squad.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Deusx

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Hailinel: Ah, then I misunderstood. Yeah, I'm not even aware of that many SSB-like games before Super Smash at all.

@Deusx said:

Why is this a bad thing? What does this possibly do to you? Like I stated before: if anything, this can only benefit us, the consumers. Not only can those who have never had Nintendo consoles but Sony ones finally experience a game like Super Smash, but because of how close All-Stars is to SSB, it will directly compete against it. Competition naturally makes for a better product, and we can only profit from a better product as the players. Plus, those who have actually played the game have said good things about it, so even if it's a rip-off, at least many say it's a quality one.

Plus, placing such an importance on competitive play, something that I appreciate, would never be done by the Super Smash developers but is being done by SuperBot.

Hey! I´m not shitting on the game. Just saying, Sonydrones should agree the game stole a bunch of ideas from SSB.

@ck1nd: I´m not even going to comment further, I see you´ve made some good points but in the end we both have very different ideas on what "imitation" means. I do not condone what sony are doing with their game. I respect your opinion though. Maybe it is the fact that I´m a graphic designer. Its a very personal thing in where I hate people who get ideas without trying to innovate on them. I accept inspiration but that doesn´t mean your whole game needs to look like the one that inspired it in the first place, you know? I think they should have been a bit smarter about this.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By Brendan

Yep, its a ripoff, but honestly I don't think it's a big deal. It's legal so if it doesn't suck and people like it then all the power to Sony. It's probably not a game to be terribly proud of and that's about it.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By mesoian

@TurboMan said:

Bioshock is a ripoff of Halo then... who cares? If it's a fun game, then let it be fun for the consumers.

No Caption Provided

What a silly thing to say.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Deusx said:

I don't particularly see it as a benefit. I see it as the development team at Sony being creatively bankrupt. They are directly lifting designs from one game to slap into their own without an ounce of subtlety. Imitation may be flattery, but there's also nothing to be gained by it by lifting so directly and so openly. There are myriad ways that Sony could have handled a mascot brawler. Square Enix made their own in the Dissidia games; games that in no way resemble Smash Bros. except in the most superficial sense (mascot brawler). Sony could have easily carved out their own niche by creating something unique that would still attract the Sony following, and they wouldn't have to endure criticism of copying or ripping off the Smash Bros. games. Instead, they chose to not only go the rip-off route but embrace it, which in its own way is actually pretty disgusting. They're embracing the fact that they don't have the creative will to do something other than copy someone else's work.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Deusx

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Deusx said:

I don't particularly see it as a benefit. I see it as the development team at Sony being creatively bankrupt. They are directly lifting designs from one game to slap into their own without an ounce of subtlety. Imitation may be flattery, but there's also nothing to be gained by it by lifting so directly and so openly. There are myriad ways that Sony could have handled a mascot brawler. Square Enix made their own in the Dissidia games; games that in no way resemble Smash Bros. except in the most superficial sense (mascot brawler). Sony could have easily carved out their own niche by creating something unique that would still attract the Sony following, and they wouldn't have to endure criticism of copying or ripping off the Smash Bros. games. Instead, they chose to not only go the rip-off route but embrace it, which in its own way is actually pretty disgusting. They're embracing the fact that they don't have the creative will to do something other than copy someone else's work.

Exactly what I wanted to say but again, I´m an asshole. It is ok to get inspiration or reference from another work but at least try to be subtle about it. Innovate on it or make it different. They just don´t give a fuck and directly copied the game. Its a reskined SSB.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mesoian

@MethodMan008 said:

The only SSB game I remember playing is the 64 one.. Pretty confident that didn't have super meters/supers... Do the later SSB games have those?

Yes. The big difference between Smash Brawl and PAS is that supers aren't random in PAS. Beyond that though, the style of combat, the rule sets, it's all VERY close to Smash Brawl.

The biggest thing PAS has going against it right now is Sony's PR machine trying heavily to cover things up in order to create a hype train. They are purposely not showing what makes it different from Smash Brawl and extending this idea that the game is a 1:1 clone. Hell, they've shown the game off in a public setting once (maybe twice, I think they showed it off at gamespot last week).

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kindgineer

@Deusx: I completely understand your point as well, I would be ignorant to feel I'm always right, and I do believe that Sony should not be protected from victimising. I just think that actions like this from a highly-regarded person in the industry is a little immature and that it can only drive the feelings of it's audience in one of two directions. I wish Sony would do something to the game to differentiate it from Super Smash Bros. formula, but I feel that no matter what they do at this point, the base is too similar and no one will truly ever come to a compromise of feelings.

We'll see where it goes in the coming months and I hope that the industry takes a step forward from this instead of taking two steps back. Nintendo and Sony are large companies and are "big boys" when it comes to the gaming industry. I feel that the proper way to combat All-Stars is for Nintendo to release the next Smash Bros. that shows who can be the best at it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel: None of what you said goes against my argument that a game that is a "rip-off" to Super Smash Bros. will only make for competition between the developers, which will in turn make for more improvements, innovations and hard work put into the formula that both companies are using. This, in turn, makes for a better overall product in All-Stars and in SSB4. How is this not beneficial?

Furthermore, how is it a negative that Sony are ripping off SSB? How does this affect you? How does this affect consumers and how does it affect anyone except for people who seemingly can't let go of the fact that a blatant "Sony SSB" is being made? Can't you just ignore it and be done with it instead of lamenting that it could have been something more than an SSB clone?

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By LikeaSsur

Whether or not it's a ripoff, every successful company needs their own version of a Smash Bros. Especially ones with huge rosters (Square Enix, Capcom, Ubisoft, etc.)

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MethodMan008

@Mesoian said:

@MethodMan008 said:

Yes. The big difference between Smash Brawl and PAS is that supers aren't random in PAS. Beyond that though, the style of combat, the rule sets, it's all VERY close to Smash Brawl.

The biggest thing PAS has going against it right now is Sony's PR machine trying heavily to cover things up in order to create a hype train. They are purposely not showing what makes it different from Smash Brawl and extending this idea that the game is a 1:1 clone. Hell, they've shown the game off in a public setting once (maybe twice, I think they showed it off at gamespot last week).

You randomly get supers in SSB? That sounds really shitty. :O

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By probablytuna

It's no more a rip off of Smash Bros. as Call of Duty is a rip off of Doom. Or any other game that is made now compared to those that came before. It's a genre type, Smash Bros. does not own it.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Deusx

@ck1nd: I hope the game is good actually. SSB is already a good game, maybe they can innovate with it? Lets just hope they do because if what they do is release a similar game with different mechanics and original things I´ll be all over it.

@FluxWaveZ: I agree it wont be a negative thing if it leads devs to innovate on the same formula, lets just hope it goes that way. I want another fucking Power Stone!

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By thebunnyhunter

there are no more original ideas so i don't care

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#79  Edited By toowalrus

So is Darksiders. And just like Darksiders, it's probably gonna be pretty good.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Hailinel: None of what you said goes against my argument that a game that is a "rip-off" to Super Smash Bros. will only make for competition between the developers, which will in turn make for more improvements, innovations and hard work put into the formula that both companies are using. This, in turn, makes for a better overall product in All-Stars and in SSB4. How is this not beneficial?

Furthermore, how is it a negative that Sony are ripping off SSB? How does this affect you? How does this affect consumers and how does it affect anyone except for people who seemingly can't let go of the fact that a blatant "Sony SSB" is being made? Can't you just ignore it and be done with it instead of lamenting that it could have been something more than an SSB clone?

That you don't see the complete lack of creativity and originality in the design of this game as a negative is troubling, to say the least. And I will lament that they chose not to do better for themselves because they could have made something special and unique for the fans that have supported the PlayStation consoles all these years. Instead, they're getting Sony Smash Bros, which is not what I consider cause for celebration. They could have aimed much, much higher than this, but they deliberately chose not to do so. It is, at best, a supreme disappointment, and at worst, utterly contemptible.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#81  Edited By TheHT

@probablytuna said:

It's no more a rip off of Smash Bros. as Call of Duty is a rip off of Doom. Or any other game that is made now compared to those that came before. It's a genre type, Smash Bros. does not own it.

but... but, the colourfulness, and shields, and dodging, and the 2d perspective, and and platforms and a mash-up roster. only smash bros can do that. anyone else is creatively bankrupt.

*flex*

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By spartanlolz92

how the hell is it a rip off the KO system is not the same

sure if it completely sucks ass call it that but if it does stuff well then why get bent out of shape over it.

we wont know till it comes out obviously sony has faith in it its not like they're not supporting it.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By mesoian

@MethodMan008 said:

@Mesoian said:

@MethodMan008 said:

You randomly get supers in SSB? That sounds really shitty. :O

There's a reason why Smash can't be played competitively unless you turn off 90% of the game.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel said:

That you don't see the complete lack of creativity and originality in the design of this game as a negative is troubling, to say the least.

I don't see why I should find this to be negative. Plenty of games in the market completely lack originality and creativity. If a game appeals to a crowd despite this fact, how is it a bad thing? No one's forcing you to play this game devoid of originality. The fact that this game exists won't prevent its inspiration, Super Smash Bros., from existing either. SSB will continue to exist but now there will be a very similar game alongside it in the market. All this could do, again, is make both games better because of competition. And even if this vow for improvement from the developers wasn't a factor even with the existence of both games—which is impossible—there would still be a market for both games alongside each other. People who want OG SSB will be happy and people who prefer Sony characters, who prefer competitive play or who prefer All-Stars for any other reason will also be happy.

They could have done much more, sure. "Could" is the key word. They didn't, though, and I think it's a waste of time to grasp onto hypotheticals and never let go. All-Stars is what it is and, believe it or not, a lot of people are actually looking forward to it. Many, like you, are not, which is also fine. Opinions, they differ. I don't see why both audiences for both games can't be happy and why you'd seemingly prefer that All-Stars didn't exist at all and we were just left with SSB4, which would probably turn out worse because of the lack of All-Stars' existence.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By turboman

@Mesoian said:

@TurboMan said:

No Caption Provided

The controller layout is exactly the same.

You progress through levels with the goal of reaching to the end.

I can't exactly find a difference between the two games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Hailinel said:

That you don't see the complete lack of creativity and originality in the design of this game as a negative is troubling, to say the least.

I don't see why I should find this to be negative. Plenty of games in the market completely lack originality and creativity. If a game appeals to a crowd despite this fact, how is it a bad thing? No one's forcing you to play this game devoid of originality. The fact that this game exists won't prevent its inspiration, Super Smash Bros., from existing either. SSB will continue to exist but now there will be a very similar game alongside it in the market. All this could do, again, is make both games better because of competition. And even if this vow for improvement wasn't a factor even with the existence of both games—which is impossible—there would still be a market for both games alongside each other. People who want OG SSB will be happy and people who prefer Sony characters, who prefer competitive play or who prefer All-Stars for any other reason will also be happy.

They could have done much more, sure. "Could" is the key word. They didn't, though, and I think it's a waste of time to grasp onto hypotheticals and never let go. All-Stars is what it is and, believe it or not, a lot of people are actually looking forward to it. Many, like you, are not, which is also fine. Opinions, they differ. I don't see why both audiences for both games can't be happy and why you'd seemingly prefer that All-Stars didn't exist at all and we were just left with SSB4, which would probably turn out worse because of the lack of All-Stars existence.

Yes, it could have been, but it isn't, and it was their choice to pursue the route their taking. But I also hold the right to choose not to support them and will remain critical of them for the choice that they made.

We're obviously never going to see eye-to-eye on this. So we might as well just agree to disagree.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mesoian

@TurboMan said:

@Mesoian said:

@TurboMan said:

No Caption Provided

Then you are bad at seeing.

Also, the controller layout can be changed.

Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Soffish

I bet he's just pissed because they're using the new Dante in All-stars.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Mesoian said:

@TurboMan said:

I believe he's being facetious and jokingly arguing that BioShock and Halo are the same based off of general details similar to how many are comparing SSB to All-Stars.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Mesoian said:

@TurboMan said:

@Mesoian said:

@TurboMan said:

No Caption Provided

Either you're missing the joke so badly or I'm missing the joke so badly.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#91  Edited By wrighteous86

@Video_Game_King said:

@Darklight said:

And the point is... even if it's his opinion, that does not mean he does not come as an asshole saying it.

For example I could say "X is an idiot and i hate him.". That's my opinion of this person/group, does it mean I can't be judged for what i said? Sure i can. Some could say way of saying it was totally uncalled for or immature. Same thing apply here.

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

To be fair, he was asked about the game. It's not like he started bashing the game out of nowhere.

Something similar happened with Dominic Monaghan from Lost, where he said he wouldn't convince Matthew Fox to join Twitter because he doesn't like Matthew Fox. Fox beats women (allegedly). If you dislike something, and someone tries to connect you to it, you tend to give your opinion (whether that's fair or not is another discussion).

It happened with the South Park guys too. People told them they must LOVE Family Guy, and they wrote a mini-series talking about how shitty Family Guy was and they don't want to be compared.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By spartanlolz92

i just dont see what the big deal is.... I mean there are games like Defense of the ancients or league of legends that have very similar mechanics and gameplay.

yet I don't see them as being ripoffs of one another... you can still be the same and be different

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By turboman

@Mesoian: Here's a screenshot of Bioshock I found....

Now when I use special technology, I'm able to strip all of the Bioshock skins and textures away to get this....

Sure, there's a little bit different (health systems, etc)... but there's also different health systems in SSB and PS AS:BR. So if you look at it from that angle, I guess the games are completely different.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By mesoian

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Mesoian said:

@TurboMan said:

I believe he's being facetious and jokingly arguing that BioShock and Halo are the same based off of general details similar to how many are comparing SSB to All-Stars.

I know, I am playfully matching his obtuseness.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By mesoian

@TurboMan said:

@Mesoian: Here's a screenshot of Bioshock I found....

Now when I use special technology, I'm able to strip all of the Bioshock skins and textures away to get this....

Sure, there's a little bit different (health systems, etc)... but there's also different health systems in SSB and PS AS:BR. So if you look at it from that angle, I guess the games are completely different.

And here's a picture of vampire the masquarde. Looks pretty similar right? I guess that means they're the same game.

No Caption Provided
    theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By theslothking

@spartanlolz92: HoN and LoL are both regularly called rip-offs of DOTA.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By turboman

@Mesoian: You're starting to get it now, but Vampire: The Masquarade is a tad bit deeper and more complex than Bioshock and Halo.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By AuthenticM

And the question I'm asking is:

so the fuck what?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By probablytuna

@TheHT said:

@probablytuna said:

but... but, the colourfulness, and shields, and dodging, and the 2d perspective, and and platforms and a mash-up roster. only smash bros can do that. anyone else is creatively bankrupt.

*flex*

Like I said, Smash Bros. does not own it.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

A Rip-Off means that it is a bad imitation of the original product. The few people that have played it said good things about it. I don't think you can call it a rip off unless it's bad. Otherwise it borrows heavily from Smash Bros. There needs to be more Mascot games in the SSB style so Nintendo has more direct competition. Games like Dissidia and Castlevania Judgement are too different to compete with Smash Bros. A company as big as Sony with a crazy roster has enough of a chance to compete with Nintendo and force them to try harder. This game does enough to differentiate itself with it's UI, how one can obtain supers, the levels being combinations of franchises, how opponents are defeated, etc. But it does so while maintaining the base that SSB has started which is how a lot of video game genres start. I can only see this being a good thing if the end product turns out pretty good.

It's not like the existence of this game prevents Sony from making or publishing more creative games.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale was originally going to be developed by Naughty Dog who was in the middle of the development of The Last of Us. Publisher Sony Computer Entertainment therefore decided to form SuperBot Entertainment in 2009 specifically to work on the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.