Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network

Concept »

The online service used on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and PlayStation Vita.

Capcom Serve Up Some Classics On PSN Tomorrow

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided
    EDIT:

Apologies, there are no announced dates for the following games, only confirmation that they will be appearing soon.

A veritable influx of Capcom goodness will appear on PSN tomorrow, some of it pleases me a great deal as a fighting game fan and as a likely purchaser of the PSP Go which is due in October. I was pretty miffed at the prospect that I wouldn't be able to play my beloved Darkstalkers on the new machine, but that's now been averted with this update:

Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded--PSP
    Capcom Classics Collection Remixed--PSP
    Darkstalkers--PSP
    Dino Crisis--PSP, PS3
    Mega Man Maverick Hunter X--PSP
    Mega Man Powered Up--PSP
    Power Stone Collection--PSP
    Resident Evil 2--PSP, PS3
    Resident Evil 3: Nemesis--PSP, PS3
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max--PSP

Capcom is planning to dish out original PlayStation games downloadable for the PSP or the PlayStation 3 with Dino Crisis, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis set for Sony's online store.

Capcom has also promised to bring "one of Japan's most popular animes"to the PSN this summer with the release of the downloadable exclusive; Fate/Unlimited Codes.

I already own a few of the above games on UMD, as a result I'm not at all happy about having to pay for these games again of course. Although, in truth at the same time, with some of them, I do feel fortunate that I can play them on the new machine when I get one. I may be OK with this now, but I can hazard a guess that I won't be happy in the future, not unless Sony devise a system whereby those who can prove ownership of a UMD game, can then be given a free download ticket. As it stands, this sucks big time. I have no idea how this could work out, what system they could come up with,m but I do feel Sony have an obligation here. PSP owners have already been screwed over for the most part.

Thanks to Capcom.

Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kazu666

I think i read somewhere that Sony will have a service for the PSP Go! that allowed you to get free games if you have the UMD.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Kazu666 said:
    " I think i read somewhere that Sony will have a service for the PSP Go! that allowed you to get free games if you have the UMD.Guess we'll have to wait and see. "

What you read was a rumour that I read also, I think it stemmed from a rep who made an off the cuff remark about the possibility.

It's a tricky one, it's hard to know how such a system could possibly work, while not being abused  : /

Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kazu666

I was thinking that there could be an update for all games when you put them in, and that the UMD will then 'credit' you 5 downloads for that game and then may not be used to do so again, it seems plausible to me :P

Also, people will always find a way to abuse any system, especially anything on PSP xP

Sony will just have to grin and bear it, suppose they've been doing it for a while with PSP homebrewing.

and to not go totally off the topic of this thread, Resi games on PSN? i want now. xD

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Kazu666 said:
    " I was thinking that there could be an update for all games when you put them in, and that the UMD will then 'credit' you 5 downloads for that game and then may not be used to do so again, it seems plausible to me :P Also, people will always find a way to abuse any system, especially anything on PSP xPSony will just have to grin and bear it, suppose they've been doing it for a while with PSP homebrewing.and to not go totally off the topic of this thread, Resi games on PSN? i want now. xD "

Dude, think about what your saying here, put them into what exactly? If it has to be via your old PSP that's not going to be good enough quite frankly. I wont be doing this myself, but I can well imagine some peeps having to sell their old machine in order to get the new one.

Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kazu666
    @Linkyshinks:
    Oh yeah...that just totally slipped my mind lol

I guess i now have no idea how they would do it xD
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jeffgoldblum

What are the prices of these games going to be?
    I picked up my copy of Mega Man Powered Up for $10 at a Best Buy.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

@JeffGoldblum said:
    " What are the prices of these games going to be?I picked up my copy of Mega Man Powered Up for $10 at a Best Buy. "

Apologies, there are no announced dates for the following games (edited OP), only confirmation that they will be appearing soon. I checked the PSN store and nothing appears to be up, so no details of price.  I expect you will hear about the cost and the dates soon enough though, I would say they are likely be notably cheaper than you might expect for new releases via download.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not up on euro-PSN, as usual. I'd maybe get SFA3 or the Power Stone Collection.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By tekmojo

Dino Crisis :P

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Suicrat

Did Sony find a way of getting free CDs to people who had cassette versions of their albums when the CD player came out?

No.

Then why would you expect them to do away with the primary means of generating revenue for this latest platform?

They are putting out a new system for the specific reason that they need to generate more revenue. There's no way they'd establish a program that would negate that.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Suicrat said:
    " Did Sony find a way of getting free CDs to people who had cassette versions of their albums when the CD player came out?No.Then why would you expect them to do away with the primary means of generating revenue for this latest platform?They are putting out a new system for the specific reason that they need to generate more revenue. There's no way they'd establish a program that would negate that. "
    The PSP GO is not a new platform. It is an incremental upgrade to an old platform. This is part of the reason people expect to get free downloads of the games they already own. The PSP GO has the exact same functionality of a regular PSP with a few tweaks and no UMD support. You cannot compare this to the switch from cassettes to CDs.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Suicrat
    @JeffGoldblum:
    You're missing the salient point: the salient point is this is a stream of revenue for Sony, they have no reason to give it up.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Suicrat said:
    " @JeffGoldblum: You're missing the salient point: the salient point is this is a stream of revenue for Sony, they have no reason to give it up. "
    You know except to support their fanbase.
    No one is going to buy a game they already own.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Suicrat
    @JeffGoldblum:
    No one is?

Okay then, whatever you say.

I think the last 30 years of the history of video games proves you're dead wrong about that.

Second of all, no company is going to produce a product from which they don't expect to generate a sufficient revenue stream.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Suicrat said:
    " @JeffGoldblum:
    No one is?

Okay then, whatever you say.

I think the last 30 years of the history of video games proves you're dead wrong about that.

Second of all, no company is going to produce a product from which they don't expect to generate a sufficient revenue stream. "
    It would also produce a revenue stream to charge $4,000 for every game, but they dont do that do they?
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Suicrat
    @JeffGoldblum: Yeah, Christ, way to build Paper tigers.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Cost/Benefit Analysis"?

Every company has people working for them whose job it is to make these calculations with their product.

Publishers have found that selling a game between 30 and 70 dollars generally derives a benefit commensurate with the cost of producing games. If they sold games for 4 000 dollars, they might make more for each individual game sold, but they'd never recover the costs of producing the game because a far smaller number of people would buy it.

Now let's examine a cost/benefit analysis of the notion of giving free downloadable copies of games for the PSP GO! to people who already own the game for the PSP.

Costs:
    Bandwidth for downloading the game
    Infrastructure for verifying proof of purchase for games
    Lost revenue of re-purchasers*

Benefits:
    Unknowable increase in sales of PSP Go!

(*: this is known as an opportunity cost)

Accountants will be able to calculate estimates for the specific costs and benefits in dollars, but I guarantee you that Sony would rather not expend the first 3 costs, when they know that the only possible benefit will probably be negated by the fact that current PSP owners will probably end up buying a PSP Go! anyways.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Suicrat said:
    " @JeffGoldblum: Yeah, Christ, way to build Paper tigers.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Cost/Benefit Analysis"?

Every company has people working for them whose job it is to make these calculations with their product.

Publishers have found that selling a game between 30 and 70 dollars generally derives a benefit commensurate with the cost of producing games. If they sold games for 4 000 dollars, they might make more for each individual game sold, but they'd never recover the costs of producing the game because a far smaller number of people would buy it.Now let's examine a cost/benefit analysis of the notion of giving free downloadable copies of games for the PSP GO! to people who already own the game for the PSP.Costs:Bandwidth for downloading the gameInfrastructure for verifying proof of purchase for gamesLost revenue of re-purchasers*Benefits:Unknowable increase in sales of PSP Go!(*: this is known as an opportunity cost)Accountants will be able to calculate estimates for the specific costs and benefits in dollars, but I guarantee you that Sony would rather not expend the first 3 costs, when they know that the only possible benefit will probably be negated by the fact that current PSP owners will probably end up buying a PSP Go! anyways. "

I was trying to make a point.
    Sure any company could be an ass and make more money, but it will piss off the consumers.
    They dont have to make every game that was ever released available for free download just the ones they they are going to sell online anyway.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Suicrat
    @JeffGoldblum:
    Again with the value judgements. Every company is trying to make more money. Every company is trying to find a way to get you to be happy about spending your money on them.

I simply am trying to tell you that Sony is banking on the fact that the PSP Go! will sell enough in its own right that incentivizing current PSP owners by giving them free downloads of UMD games is, from their perspective, a waste of money.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Suicrat said:
    " @JeffGoldblum: Again with the value judgements. Every company is trying to make more money. Every company is trying to find a way to get you to be happy about spending your money on them.I simply am trying to tell you that Sony is banking on the fact that the PSP Go! will sell enough in its own right that incentivizing current PSP owners by giving them free downloads of UMD games is, from their perspective, a waste of money. "
    Im sure Valve loses money letting people download games as many time as they want on Steam, but they get the benefit of being a service that people like. There is more to business than just making money.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Suicrat
    @JeffGoldblum: There is no tangible value in being "a service that people like". Steam takes a laissez-faire approach to their service (when it comes to unlimited downloads), because this is the value they are offering, and they know that they'll get a cut every time someone makes an impulse purchase on Steam. As soon as the value of impulse purchases drops below the cost of the bandwidth of unlimited downloading, Steam will stop. But until such a time comes, (which it's not likely to, when you consider the way people tend to buy games from their service), they'll maintain the status quo.

Sony on the other hand has absolutely nothing tangible to gain from giving you the ability to download the games you already own on UMD for free. They would have to pay to build infrastructure to verify that you own your game, and if they're selling the Go! at a loss, then they don't want you to buy a PSP Go! until there is a game that is only for download and not UMD, at which point you will make the switch.

You still haven't explained how it's in Sony's interests to incur the costs of this. Steam is not a valid example because their method of operating is different.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Suicrat said:
    " You still haven't explained how it's in Sony's interests to incur the costs of this. Steam is not a valid example because their method of operating is different. "
    DO I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU?
    BEING A DICK IS BAD FOR BUSINESS. IF PEOPLE HATE YOUR COMPANY THEY WILL EVENTUALLY STOP BUYING YOUR PRODUCTS.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Suicrat
    @JeffGoldblum:
    Okay, calm the hell down, buddy.

Sony isn't going to go out of business if they don't give you the ability to download Darkstalkers for free.

In fact, you'll probably end up buying a PSP Go! eventually anyways, and if not, you're in the minority.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By kush

I wouldn't mind picking up RE2 and RE3, but I also don't feel like paying $10 for all these PS1 games...I'd rather they all cost $6, but that's just me...and no, I don't need to hear about how $10 is such a good price for those games and that I shouldn't be complaining...in my eyes $6 is the fair price.

WhytePanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By WhytePanther

You act as if a large percentage of owners are going to upgrade to the PSP Go at launch.  Don't see it happening, certainly not for me.  Not being able to use the games I already own is a small part, but simply paying $250 for a system that has no new functions aside from a larger internal memory the last thing I want to do right now.  I suppose I would like to put my hands on it to see if the form factor was a significant improvement, but other than that, forget it.

So yes, if Sony wants the people who have been around for a while to upgrade, they have to give us a good reason, meaning make the PSP Go better in every way than the original PSPs, meaning they have to play my old games somehow, or give us something else we just can't get anywhere else or just can't live without.  This is the same reason I haven't bought a DSi.  DS Lite had a backlight, and was a huge upgrade over the original.  It was worth the money.  But the DSI has a camera that I don't need, and a download service with mostly garbage, and I can't play GBA games on it.  No sale there until something improves too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.