Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Help Me - Justify My Vita Purchase

• 52 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

I've done it. I've bought a Vita this morning. Going to pick it up later today. It's going to set me back a little over 250$ for the VITA 3G & 4 GB & 16 GB & Motorstorm RC. For some reason the 3G bundle with Motorstorm RC and a 4GB memory card is the cheapest SKU right now. The thing is, I'm not really into the Vita and its games, I'm more into the idea of it.

• Since its final price cut, I always wanted a PSP. Now the PSV is barely more expensive than the PSP.
    • All the PSP's turnbased JRPGs are kinda my jam (or were at some point at least). Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Valkyria Chronicles 2. I'll jam all of those on a memcard, they might even all fit on the 4GB one.
    • I just got PS+ too, which will give me access to Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Rayman Origins and Gravity Rush - all of which seem fairly worthwhile. And there's always going to be more coming from PS+ in the future.
    • Yes - in the end, I really wanted a Vita for remote play. The whole companion device aspect of it is really enticing to me, looking forward to playing full-blown PS4 games on my PSV in bed or on the go - but that's still ways off.

So whilst it's not a bad value by any means, do I really have the time to spend on PSP and Vita games, when I don't really commute? Do I really want to play Uncharted: Golden Abyss and such over proper homeconsole and PC games? I don't know, but I guess now I'm commited. So to you PSV guys, what to do with my shiny new toy?

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By MetalBaofu

Easiest answer I can think of is play Persona 4: Golden. Virtue's Last Reward is going to be added to PS+ next week, so that will probably be the next thing I play on mine.

Edit: Forgot about Muramasa Rebirth. It comes out next week. I really enjoyed the original game on the Wii, so I'm looking forward to checking out this Vita version.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By RavenX302

Downloading Gods Eater burst right now and just finished Gravity Rush.... Haven't cracked my Persona 4 seal yet as I have just got the system a couple weeks ago. I bouaght it mainly just to play PSP JRPGs and such....doesn't sound like a ton of stuff coming out that I am interested, but eh, its a pretty sweet handheld. I have to get a new card....that 4GB is fucking garbage.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Levius

All the Persona games other than the original I can vouch for being pretty damn good and to be honest the Vita has been the Persona box for me since just after release. So buy Persona games I guess.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TruthTellah
    uhhh... Don't know what to tell ya, man.
    uhhh... Don't know what to tell ya, man.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easiest answer I can think of is play Persona 4: Golden. Virtue's Last Reward is going to be added to PS+ next week, so that will probably be the next thing I play on mine.

Edit: Forgot about Muramasa Rebirth. It comes out next week. I really enjoyed the original game on the Wii, so I'm looking forward to checking out this Vita version.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is Peace Walker available for Vita? If it is then you should get it. Limbo is also on the Vita so you should probably get it too. PSP also has GTA Chinatown Wars so if it is supported for Vita then I recommend it. As for Vita exclusives I think Wipeout 2048 is a solid choice.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Wipeout and Lumines are pretty great, too.

You should download Patapon 2 or 3 if you never had a PSP.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By egg

I play PSP at home only. It is nonetheless my favorite system of all time.

Hope that helped. :p

I'm not just saying that either. Part of me thinks more people could be giving handhelds (meaning just to play them at home/indoors) a chance. It's excellent.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Join the Wake-Up Club.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By abendlaender

Persona is good....erm...Tearaway looks pretty awesome.
    You can...erm...play PS4 game on the tiny screen if you want to (tiny compared to your TV I'd imagine)?

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

If you have Playstation Plus thats your reason right there, the best the console has to offer free with your already existing account. Other than that...i dont know....Persona probably, or i guess when the PS4 launches you can use it for offscreen play, i think thats when ill finally pick one up.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I love my PSP. It's probably my favourite system of all time. Probably less than 1% of the time I spent playing it was outside of the house. If a system has games that you want to play then it's worth having. Personally I want a Vita; I've even purchased P4G already. I just can't justify buying a Vita when my truck needs a new muffler and my computer is an 8 year old laptop that crashes a dozen times a day.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JRPG machine thanks to PSX and PSP games.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

You could make one of those videos where you and your friends take it out on to the street and trash it (although they're supposedly quite durable), get a few hundred thousand views on Youtube, and revel in your brief moments of internet fame.

Although if there's any PSN games you missed it might be worth checking them out. Guacamelee was quite good, after all.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been getting back into Knytt Underground. Got myself stuck in a insanely hard challenge area when I first played it, and ended up burning out on the game rather than give up and get back to finishing the game (it's frickin' huge). The game looks great on the Vita's screen, and is really well suited to picking up an playing for a few minutes here and there. That's a great advantage of the Vita over a console even if you don't take it out with you - just have it laying about the house in sleep mode, and you can pick it up and it's ready to play in seconds.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far its just been Persona4 and Gravity rush for me... That and spending little over 100 euro buying PS1 and PSP games
    Currently have FF6 trough 9, War of the Lion, Parasite eve 3d birthday, Persona 3 and Disgaea 2 installed.

Still own a few more games for it but those were purchased purely for being bargain binned.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ps+

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By niamahai

DON'T DO IT!

FOR REALZ!

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RobertOrri

I justified it with my PS+ subscription earlier this year. I think I've got like 11 games for free through it, and that's just on the Vita. The quality obviously varies... but free is free! In my case I really wanted to play Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Virtue's Last Reward.

Also remember that there's a couple of decent games available for free through the PS Store - Frobisher Says and Jetpack Joyride.

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought one as well, a couple of days ago. It doesn't have a whole lot of games, but there are some very cool ones, and it seems sony is finally getting their shit together and supporting it more. It's must a shame that muramasa and dragon's crown, both games i'm looking forward to, don't have an Eu release date...

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By handlas

I don't commute and played Uncharted and Gravity Rush from my couch. Enjoyed both of them quite a bit. Gravity Rush especially is good. Guacamelee is great if you haven't already played it on PS3.

Still looking forward to Tearaway as well.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like my Vita, the instant game collection is definitely worth it, but I am REALLY feeling the pain of that thing only coming with an 8gb memory card.

Hot Shots Golf is my surprise favorite for the system, though. 4th tier up on the challenge mode is pretty goddamn hard, though.

asky314159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Like a couple other people in here, my Vita is a Persona machine. Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4 Golden are both really great games.

I don't recommend the Assassins' Creed game, though.

LoveSpuds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some amazing games on VITA and when I am playing it I still cant quite believe the quality of the graphics. Also, if you are getting PS4 imagine being able to play all PS4 games on your VITA when you are lying in bed or 'dropping the browns at the superbowl' ;)

It is an amazing device with loads of game, more than some would have you believe. Also, if you have PS+ you get an even better deal because you can pick up all the freebies for VITA.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought one as well, a couple of days ago. It doesn't have a whole lot of games, but there are some very cool ones, and it seems sony is finally getting their shit together and supporting it more. It's must a shame that muramasa and dragon's crown, both games i'm looking forward to, don't have an Eu release date...

Isn't the Vita region free? Shouldn't be a problem to obtain a US copy. I definitely want to get Muramasa next week. Always wanted to play VanillaSoft game, but somehow managed to miss out every time. I think that's going to change soon.

@everyone

Thanks for all your input. Looking forward to exploring all the indie goodness of the Vita. Guacamelee and Kyntt Underground sure look like a ton of fun.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah said:

I like my Vita, the instant game collection is definitely worth it, but I am REALLY feeling the pain of that thing only coming with an 8gb memory card.

Hot Shots Golf is my surprise favorite for the system, though. 4th tier up on the challenge mode is pretty goddamn hard, though.

I figured I'd put my PSX & PSP games on the 4GB card I got with the system, and the PSV games on the 16 GB card I bought extra (which was surprisingly cheap).

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@seppli said:

Guacamelee and Kyntt Underground sure look like a ton of fun.

I didn't think to mention Guacamelee since it's on PS3, too, but yeah, I really liked playing it on my Vita.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@psylah said:

I figured I'd put my PSX & PSP games on the 4GB card I got with the system, and the PSV games on the 16 GB card I bought extra (which was surprisingly cheap).

I'm holding out for a 32gb. Go big or go home.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Sounds justified to me, between those PSP titles and PS+ you've easily got the value. My only advice is to get Wake Up Club.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Seppli

Jesus - life was so easy before I got PS+ and a Playstation Vita. I only played the games I bought and I was happy. Now - I'm being force-fed good games. All the time! Oh the humanity!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seppli

@psylah said:

@seppli said:

@psylah said:

I'm holding out for a 32gb. Go big or go home.

At my retailer, you could by 3x 16 GB cards for the price of one 32 GB one. It just doesn't add up. Would be surprised if Sony doesn't come out with much bigger ones sometime down the line either.

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@colonelrick said:

Isn't the Vita region free? Shouldn't be a problem to obtain a US copy. I definitely want to get Muramasa next week. Always wanted to play VanillaSoft game, but somehow managed to miss out every time. I think that's going to change soon.

@everyone

Thanks for all your input. Looking forward to exploring all the indie goodness of the Vita. Guacamelee and Kyntt Underground sure look like a ton of fun.

The system and games are, the store isn't, so you're running the risk of having issues with stuff like DLC. To be fair, with digital marketplaces like the PS store and marketplace being a well-established thing now, I really don't get why they don't do world wide releases. There's virtually nothing keeping Sony and whatever publisher Vanilla has for the N/A market to just put it on the EU store...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rafaelfc
    • Persona 4 Golden
    • Soul Sacrifice
    • Sound Shapes
    • Wipeout 2048
    • Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
    • Jacob Jones
    • Gravity Rush
    • Guacamelee
    • Corpse Party (PSP game)

All good reasons to have a Vita.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By awesomeusername

@seppli: Here's my advice. It's lengthy but worth it:

• Play Gravity Rush. The combat isn't very good but just the concept of the game and the visuals are so good, it's my favorite Vita game.
    • Uncharted is pretty good too. Gets more enjoyable once you meet up with Sully. Oh Sully.
    • Persona 4 Golden will make you forget that it's a game and you actually have a real life. Seriously, I put like 30 hours straight into that game when I bought it. I couldn't believe how addicted I got.I actually bought Persona 3 because of this game and haven't even finished P4.
    • Get Wake-Up Club, it's free. Also Netflix and YouTube. If you have accounts for both. Videos look gorgeous on the screen.
    • Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation is shit. Don't buy it.
    • Frobisher Says! is a neat mini-game game. Like Wario Ware. It's free so get it.
    • Jetpack Joyride is free
    • Indies are so much better on it then PS3.
    • Look through all the Settings and put everything the way you want.
    • Go to content manager, online storage, copy saved data from vita to online storage and a list of all your apps will appear. Press the icon that is a lower case "i" and check the "update automatically" so all your saves can always upload to the cloud.
    • Hold down on the screen to move apps around. Put them in folder by tapping the app.

So for game recommendations, I'll repeat myself:

• Gravity Rush
    • Uncharted Golden Abyss
    • Frobisher Says!
    • Guacamelee!
    • Persona 4 Golden
    • Persona 3 Portable
    • Sound Shapes
    • Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
    • Thomas Was Alone
    • Wipeout 2048
    • PSX & PSP games. Obviously.
    • Hotline Miami is supposedly coming next week according to the official Twitter.
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GreggD

If you like GTA games, I would download Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. They actually run smoother on the Vita than they did on the PSP. There's also Dracula X Chronicles, Tomba! got released on there, as well. There's lots of cool stuff, just browse and you'll find something you like. :)

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By colourful_hippie

As someone who has a Vita, I think you made a bad choice but at least there are games out that you can play....even though you can or might have already played them elsewhere. I'm sure you'll like it, but the choice on getting a 3G version baffles me (or at least it would have been if that bundle ended up costing more than others)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

Also all those cool indie titles. And Tearaway.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was a bit of a drag setting up the system without Wi-Fi (I'm still running my internet of a cable like a schmuck), because the whole setup process is totally Wi-Fi centric - I finally got the system to where it has to be via PS3 USB link.

Good god is this thing awesome or what! Guess I'm going to play some Raymay Origins now. Jesus - didn't spend a dime on games and I already got 5 or so from Instant Game Libarary. PS+ put so much on my plate, I'm a little overwhelmed right now.

First World Problems

P.S. If I'd want to finally join the Wi-Fi crowd, how would I go about it?

ikaruga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you already bought the system so there's not much I can do but to give my 2 cents:

I spent too much on my vita ~170 for system, ~90 for 32gb card and about ~150 more for ps+ and games and it has not been worth it at all for me. The only games I have played so far is VLR and uncharted, they were nice games but not worth paying that much for. Most of the worth while games on vita are either ports or indies that I can get for dirt cheap on the PC. There's no point in paying 10 bucks for stuff like limbo and hotline miami if I can get them for like 2,3 dollars on the PC.

I like to idea of having access to Persona 4 on the go but I haven't touch it yet because I already beat it on the PS2. as for psp and ps1 games I prefer playing them on my psp go since it's a lot lighter.

Overall I've spent about 450 on the system and games, prob about the same amount I spent on my 3ds and games but while the vita got about 40 hours of play since I bought it the ds has been getting hundreds and hundreds of hours of play time. It's just not worth it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Seppli

Just got me a Wi-Fi router on the cheap, and a Vita Starter Kit with shells and screen protectors and microfiber towles and some such. I guess if you do Vita, you got to do it right. So now I can watch booty shake youtube videos in bed? Right? Right?

mousse_gallon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

#45  Edited By mousse_gallon

Muramasa: Rebirth!

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PERSONA 4 GOLDEN.

Are you convinced yet?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@seppli said:

@psylah said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought that you could only have one Vita memory card at a time? As in, everything had to be either on there or not downloaded? Or there was some sort of convoluted process to switching memory cards.

Anyway, I'd like a Vita but I can't think of much that I want to play on it. It would justify itself as a Persona machine if I didn't already have the means to play all of those games already, and nothing else on it looks all that attractive except for, like you said in the OP, "the idea". It's sleek and nice and powerful and interesting, there just isn't much to play on the damn thing.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could easily invest 400+ hours into Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah - Wi-Fi router is installed. Now where do I acquire youtube apps and such? What to do with my Vita online?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.