Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

9 months in what are your favorite PSVR game/experiences?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

PSVR launched nine months ago and I messed around with it a bunch at launch. Then I bought a stand for it, set it up next to my TV, and let it gather dust. I kept buying games from time to time but never got around to playing them. I want to change that but there's enough out there now that I'm not sure what the best experiences are. It seems like PSVR has attracted a lot of crappy stuff but there's also some good games out there.

I'll start. My favorite PSVR experiences so far are:

1) Eagle Flight:This is probably the only actual game I've played a lot of in VR. You play an eagle in a postapocalyptic overgrown Paris and control yourself with your head, always flying to where you're looking, and turning sharply by titling your head. You can also speed up, slow down, and fire a "screech" projectile with the controller. It's sort of an arcade flight experience, and you can swoop down in between the buildings and into the catacombs under the city with your highly maneuverable bird character with agility and speed. Think something like Pilot Wings 64 in VR, or even kind of like Crimson Skies. It should be noted that the graphics are both kind of simple and kind of blurry, but the sense of speed is great.

I really like this game. I like the open world, I like the music, and most importantly the controls just feel great to me. I do get a little vertigo after about 30-45 minutes, so I can't play for long stretches, but I enjoy it a lot when I am playing. The actual challenges, which are mostly time trial races or simple things like catching fish or shooting enemies aren't the best, but I love roaming around the open world looking for collectibles and the like. It launched way too expensive at $40 but for about $20 or $15 I would highly recommend. There's also multiplayer but I would imagine it's dead by now.

2) Harmonix Music VR: I really like this little...program. It has a bunch of different VR visualizers for music, some pretty good tunes, and the ability to play your own MP3s via USB, which is awesome. The paint brush app that lets you draw and manipulate shapes is fantastic. I wouldn't call it a game but I would call it fun. If you like music visualizers then you'll like this.

3) The cage dive from PSVR Worlds: This is another not-game. It's also only fun once, but it's a great ride and very immersive. It's also a really good thing to show non-gamers how cool VR is because they literally don't have to do anything. It's just an animation.

I've played some other VR stuff. I like Superhypercube ok. I think the luge segment from VR Worlds is genuinely a bad time. I really like the Robot Rescue from The Playroom VR and I wish that was a full game on its own.

I guess I'm just looking for recommendations as I try to play more with my PSVR and see what it has to offer. I got a Playstation Aim controller and Farpoint so that's probably next, but what after? What have people enjoyed?

Note: I am sure a lot of people are going to say Resident Evil 7. That's fine. Not for me. I flat out don't enjoy being scared. Gross monsters in my face just isn't appealing. I may eventually try it just out of curiosity, but there's no way I'll play through that whole thing in VR. Just the idea of it sounds oppressive and unpleasant.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I think Thumper in VR is still extremely fun.

Statik is a super cool game that is an excellent showcase for PSVR. I wish it was longer but all of the puzzles are pretty fun.

I enjoyed Star Trek a lot, haven't played it in a while... I mostly play with random people and that can either put you in a game with super boring people or people who are open to just fucking around and having a good time.

Polybius is pretty wild, but I never want to play it for more than 20 minutes.

That's the highlights for me now, I haven't messed around with Super Hot VR yet.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rush of Blood and RE7 are still my favorites (my VR library is still small), and I'm quite fond of Brookhaven Experiment, Tumble VR, and Sportsbar VR. Sportsbar mostly because VR billiards is fun.

I really want to get Superhot VR at some point. Man, that looks fun. Also, I messed around with the demo for Ancient Amuletor recently, and that game is really cool. Weirdly, I think VR is exactly what the tower defense genre needed.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bigsocrates  Online

@turboman: Thanks for the Statik recommendation. That was a game I bought because it looked cool but had not actually bothered to play. I played about an hour and really liked it, though I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the "directionless" puzzle. I don't want spoilers because I'm stubborn and want to figure it out myself. Really cool idea behind the game, though, and even if it's short $20 isn't much for a neat VR experience.

I also played some Windlands and after I got past the immediate nausea (which for me was only a few minutes) that game seems interesting, though I am terrible at it and I feel like the difficulty curve is a little intense when I'm just trying to figure out the basics of navigation. May get back to that. One thing VR does REALLY well is the whole "tiny person in a huge world" thing, which in this case was represented by the enormous robot who walks around near you towards the beginning of the game. It's not an effect you can really get on a TV screen, even when games have massive enemies. There's something about actually craning your neck up to see something towering above you that's just fundamentally different.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like you said, RE7 is a given. Shame you don't like being scared...that game in VR is one of the most memorable gaming experiences of my life. Christ did it make me shit my pants on occasion. VR really heightens things.

Oh and I don't know if anyone else said this but JOB SIMULATOR. It's charming, fun, and hilarious. fucking around with objects in a work environment is just a delight and the humor makes it that much better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.