Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Black/White

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 06, 2011

Pokémon Black and White are the fifth generation of Pokémon games for the Nintendo DS. Both introduce several new game play innovations to the series including a more complex battle system, fully-animated 3D models and environments, extensive online integration, and a refresh of the entire selection of Pokémon.

Pokémon Black/White Battle Video

• 54 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
    deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By neoepoch

The idle and battle animations give the game a little more of an actiony feel. My favorite parts of the video still are the Japanese hosts flipping out. There are other videos where they are revealing characters and the squealing is...intense.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By sixghost

So they added like 3 frames of idle animations, and made the attack animations slightly better?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By august

I would like to be a host on Pokemon Sunday. 

Someone arrange this.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

It looks so weird to see them moving, but I'll get used to it.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By donchipotle

Pokemon Sunday seems like the weirdest show ever but I love how they flip out over everything.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sixghost said:

" So they added like 3 frames of idle animations, and made the attack animations slightly better? "

Pokémon Black & White - Battle System Clarification

Pokémon Sunday has just aired and has shown that the battle system is as adaptive as we predicted. In battle, in a variety of instances, the camera will move around and zoom in/out as the situation dictates. In addition to that, as seen in screenshots, the sprites are animated so the battles are not going to be as static as they have been the last fourteen years. These animations take place when attacking and while waiting for the moves to be selected and not just when the Pokémon is put into battle.

Pokémon Sunday also showed footage of the market of Hiun City. In this area, lots of people are walking and moving around, some of them running. Several of them will speak while you walk through and others will walk around you as you're walking through the city. This shows further interactivity than before and shows the true scale of the Isshu region and Hiun City
    Source

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Liam_mk

Omg. Ryan was right, these guys do FLIP THE FUCK OUT!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how things that should've been done like 10 years ago now have people FLIPPING OUT! Lol.

Does look sweet though. But still, c'mon. That shit ain't impressive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I added a video containing the "reveal" of the starters, and some town footage.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By august

I am mesmerized by the guy with the Hitler stache.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Steve_C

Look at those sprite animations! 

Everything I thought I knew about pokemon has been rendered meaningless.

This is looking pretty cool as far as pokemon goes. It has a few visual flourishes more fitting of a DS game, but i'm sure the core will be the same old, which i'm feeling tired of so soon after soul silver. I'm pretty sure that will change by the time this game rolls out.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By MormonWarrior

Wow, that looks kinda...chunky. Last Pokemon game I played was LeafGreen, and my love for the series is pretty much dead. I think I'd rather play Silver Version again.

JerkFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JerkFace
    @TripMasterMunky: 

Yes.  Thank you.  This is not revolutionary, dudes.  It's still going to be so pokémon that it hurts, and I'm still going to be  throwing my DS in the river when I realize I'm just going to have to grind my way up to the Elite Four AGAIN.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AlwaysAngry

>__________________> 

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!? 

I done been Japaned...

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @JerkFace said:
    " @TripMasterMunky:   Yes.  Thank you.  This is not revolutionary, dudes.  It's still going to be so pokémon that it hurts, and I'm still going to be  throwing my DS in the river when I realize I'm just going to have to grind my way up to the Elite Four AGAIN. "
    That being said, I am willing to offer my mother's body for this game.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel

Pokemon is the one video game series I can think of that could actually sustain its own weekly variety show.  Could you imagine trying to do something like this for a game like Uncharted?

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cap123

i like the animations, so much better than the static screens they've been getting away with in the past iterations.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By bwooduhs
     Nazi pokemon army confirmed?
     Nazi pokemon army confirmed?
    CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CoverlessTech

More fluff to those already drawn out and too long battles?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel
    @bwooduhs: That reminds me of this old Seinfeld bit:

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By DoctorWelch

Wow, this is bull shit. I thought they were actually going to do something to make pokemon different and more fun this time around. I guess all I can really hope for is a few idol animations and a few more attack animations.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel
    @DoctorWelch said:
    " Wow, this is bull shit. I thought they were actually going to do something to make pokemon different and more fun this time around. I guess all I can really hope for is a few idol animations and a few more attack animations. "
    Calm down.  They're just starting to release information on the game.  The fact is, they're already giving Pokemon a larger facelift in its presentation than it ever received in the previous jumps between generations.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Bones8677

I miss the quiet dignity of the original starter Pokemon. 
    The animations are a nice touch, but the DS is more capable than this. I would have expected this to have been on the Gameboy Advance. It's pretty shocking that it's taken them this long to do it.

It's good that Pokemon is taking a step forward, even if it is JUST a step.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By turbomonkey138

if they can put voice acting in FF games for the DS then they certainly can get rid of the annoying Pokemon sounds that they have kept since 1996 . C'mon time to change the sound zubat makes now . 

Maybe actually in-game voice too ?

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @Hailinel: I guess I'm just expecting something more drastic. I guess I basically want pokemon to come to the Wii or something in a real legitimate game. No more of this hand held stuff.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Spoonman671

Maybe they should stop making more shoddy pokemon and instead properly realize the ones they already have.  Hell, I say ditch most of them and go back to the original 151.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " Maybe they should stop making more shoddy pokemon and instead properly realize the ones they already have.  Hell, I say ditch most of them and go back to the original 151. "
    I'm not sure what you mean by "properly realize."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @DoctorWelch said:
    " Wow, this is bull shit. I thought they were actually going to do something to make pokemon different and more fun this time around. I guess all I can really hope for is a few idol animations and a few more attack animations. "
    Calm down.  They're just starting to release information on the game.  The fact is, they're already giving Pokemon a larger facelift in its presentation than it ever received in the previous jumps between generations. "
    Yeah. Who knows what else they changed. They are making the main characters teenagers, so perhaps the story is a bit more complex and not so black and white.

@Bones8677 said:
    " I miss the quiet dignity of the original starter Pokemon.  The animations are a nice touch, but the DS is more capable than this. I would have expected this to have been on the Gameboy Advance. It's pretty shocking that it's taken them this long to do it. It's good that Pokemon is taking a step forward, even if it is JUST a step. "

True, but we don't know how big this game really is. It does have a storage limit.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    " Maybe they should stop making more shoddy pokemon and instead properly realize the ones they already have.  Hell, I say ditch most of them and go back to the original 151. "
    I'm not sure what you mean by "properly realize." "
    I mean fully animate them, give them real sounds, make them come to life.  These games need better presentation and not simply more content.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    I'm not sure what you mean by "properly realize." "
    I mean fully animate them, give them real sounds, make them come to life.  These games need better presentation and not simply more content. "
    Did you not watch the videos, or are you just being obtuse regarding the fact that they are improving the presentation?
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Spoonman671

Did you watch the video?  For what is probably Nintendo's biggest handheld franchise, that looks terrible.  Compare those animations to the ones seen in the GBA Fire Emblem games.  The should have more than a few frames.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " Did you watch the video?  For what is probably Nintendo's biggest handheld franchise, that looks terrible.  Compare those animations to the ones seen in the GBA Fire Emblem games.  The should have more than a few frames. "
    All I can do is shrug at this point, because the animation looks fine to me.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    " Did you watch the video?  For what is probably Nintendo's biggest handheld franchise, that looks terrible.  Compare those animations to the ones seen in the GBA Fire Emblem games.  The should have more than a few frames. "
    All I can do is shrug at this point, because the animation looks fine to me. "
    Hey, if they're good enough for you then that's awesome, but I just expect more from Nintendo.  Especially since they're currently rolling in dough that I hoped would be put back into their games.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    Hey, if they're good enough for you then that's awesome, but I just expect more from Nintendo.  Especially since they're currently rolling in dough that I hoped would be put back into their games. "
    I guess I don't really know what you're expecting.  Twenty-four frame idle animations?
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    Hey, if they're good enough for you then that's awesome, but I just expect more from Nintendo.  Especially since they're currently rolling in dough that I hoped would be put back into their games. "
    I guess I don't really know what you're expecting.  Twenty-four frame idle animations? "
    All I'm saying is that I've seen vastly superior sprite animations in lower profile titles on less powerful platforms.
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By hinderk

Looks pretty cool. I'm probably in the minority, but I hope they don't stray from the formula too much.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Afroman269

lol crazy japanese.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Spoonman671 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Spoonman671 said:
    I guess I don't really know what you're expecting.  Twenty-four frame idle animations? "
    All I'm saying is that I've seen vastly superior sprite animations in lower profile titles on less powerful platforms. "
    True, but how much memory can a DS Cartridge hold? 128 MB? How much do you expect them to cram into that cartridge?
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By Catolf

Oh man.. i'm hella excited for this..

I don't ask much from my pokemon games, and this overhaul makes me gleefully happy, the same happyness i felt back when i first picked up a pokemon game and that is SAYING something. The other games I kinda trudge on though with no real excitement, but this one I'm damn excited for. We got teenage protog's, moving pokemon, a new place than isn't like some village in the middle of no where.. it's great.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blair

I love everything about this... except the Nazi-ism.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @sixghost:  Yeah, and it's surprising how much, so little can change. Looks like a new generation.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#43  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Those Japanese people are extremely pumped about idle animations. Good for them. Hopefully it's a sign that the series is finally going to progress past Gold and Silver on a mechanical level, but I doubt it for some reason. Either way, I almost certainly guarentee that the next batch of 100ish pokemon will probably look terrible. They ran out of creativity halfway through the 3rd generation in terms of design.

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SilvarusLupus

Wow there are a lot of Negative Nancies here. :/ 
    People, I'm 19, I've been playing Pokemon since '98 and I squeeled with joy when I saw moving sprites for the first time on Crystal, and look at the animations now. This is a big step forward.

I imagine after these games Ruby and Sapphire are going to get a remake and the Pokemon team is going to try out some ideas used in Black and White with those. 

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By clarke0

Love that Pikachu randomly makes noises throughout the entire 2nd video. The new battle animations look cool, but I hope there are more significant gameplay changes as well this time through.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46  Edited By drac96

I like what they're doing with the battles, but is it just me or do the new starter pokemon look really lame?

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SilvarusLupus

They look cute to me.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FacelessVixen

And when I'm tired of playing HeartGold, The Pokemon Company will get another $40 from me.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By ajamafalous

So, can I turn off the idle animations?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drac96 said:

" I like what they're doing with the battles, but is it just me or do the new starter pokemon look really lame? "

Water-type is kinda lame to me (though if you look at a Sea Otter, you at least can see what they were going for), but the other two look mostly fine. The Pig is the best, beating the grass-type because of that stupid leaf on his tail. Otherwise, it would be a hard choice between those two.

@ajamafalous said:

" So, can I turn off the idle animations? "

Possibly, but I would lean towards no at this point, just because of how much effort they have put into it, and because of how much memory those sprites must take up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.