Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Black/White

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 06, 2011

Pokémon Black and White are the fifth generation of Pokémon games for the Nintendo DS. Both introduce several new game play innovations to the series including a more complex battle system, fully-animated 3D models and environments, extensive online integration, and a refresh of the entire selection of Pokémon.

Undermentioned Black/White Improvement

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Evilsbane

The Music!  

I am about to get my forth gym badge in Black and I must say for a series I swore off of after Silver/Gold this game is rekindling that old Catch em all fire. There's been enough press around these games where you already know if you love it or hate it so ill spare you that. But for those who are still going through the game, Pay attention to some of the music! It's seems like every road, building and bridge have some awesome little tune to them, while music in the series is nothing new Some of it is really fantastic for example:

UHHHHHHH This Bike theme is great, its like old style 8-bit music with a million things going on. Good Catchy Jaunty tune. The little claps throughout the song just make me want to ride my bike like I ride my Trains on and on, Choo Choo.

Another Fantastic little piece here, Team Rock--Plasma's theme song is fantastic, its repeats a little quickly but it sounds Epic in the only way this style of music can, the constant beat in the background, the little synth sounds and the rise and fall of the song itself is great, makes me look forward to battling another crazed pokemon syndicate.

And Finally 

I just got to the town with the Battle Subway and before this I heard a little tune at a somber moment in the story, I am a sucker for some piano and here its just soft and relaxing good stuff, just hearing those two good musical numbers back to back made me listen to some of the music on the Tube and while much of it remains simple there are a few standout songs, without a doubt best music in the series imho.

Thoughts, Ideas, random lashing out from emotional distress are all welcomed.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Right now people are not wanting new music. They want something different. They dont want just Gyms and elite four. They do not just want new pokemon and new locations they want something different. People who have been playing since Red and blue want something new. (Or at least I do) I would love for pokemon to have use outside of battle. Say..use one to power a bridge or have one harvest berries on a farm you can own or something just...different. Not just " You need badges. There will be an evil team trying to enslave pokemon. Then try to use that super pokemon to their evil deeds"  

Maybe this is just me

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Evilsbane said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" Right now people are not wanting new music. They want something different. They dont want just Gyms and elite four. They do not just want new pokemon and new locations they want something different. People who have been playing since Red and blue want something new. (Or at least I do) I would love for pokemon to have use outside of battle. Say..use one to power a bridge or have one harvest berries on a farm you can own or something just...different. Not just " You need badges. There will be an evil team trying to enslave pokemon. Then try to use that super pokemon to their evil deeds"    Maybe this is just me "

@Evilsbane said:

"                                                                                                                                                                                                   
      There's been enough press around these games where you already know if you love it or hate it so ill spare you that. But for those who are still going through the game

The topic is about the music not the game meeting or not meeting your expectations, Like I mentioned in the Literal 2nd sentence You already know if you love it or hate so why bring the hate man. "

You said" random lashings" So I am being random. You asked for it so I gave. Dont say you welcome random lashing if you arnt ready for em.  

If you want me to boil it down. 

Just good music wont do it for me in a pokemon game. They need to try something different. Not just change the soundtrack and allow 3 on 3 battles. 
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By jacksukeru

That bicycle music makes me smile.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mcfart

Bicycle music still sucks. Since I get on/off the bike often, I prefer to listen to a city's music rather then the same bike tune all the time.

Team Rocket music is great, I agree.

Since I played the game in japanease (don't understand it), I pretended that the green haired dude (chick?) just wanted to beat me in battle to earn the right in my pants.
    Same with the 2 rivels. They were competing to see who beats me faster so they can get in my pants. A spinoff from the "I saw her first" or the heads/tails roll or rockpapersissors.

Pokemon is better when you can make up what people are saying.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Evilsbane
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Evilsbane said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" Right now people are not wanting new music. They want something different. They dont want just Gyms and elite four. They do not just want new pokemon and new locations they want something different. People who have been playing since Red and blue want something new. (Or at least I do) I would love for pokemon to have use outside of battle. Say..use one to power a bridge or have one harvest berries on a farm you can own or something just...different. Not just " You need badges. There will be an evil team trying to enslave pokemon. Then try to use that super pokemon to their evil deeds"    Maybe this is just me "

@Evilsbane said:

"                                                                                                                                                                                                   
      There's been enough press around these games where you already know if you love it or hate it so ill spare you that. But for those who are still going through the game

The topic is about the music not the game meeting or not meeting your expectations, Like I mentioned in the Literal 2nd sentence You already know if you love it or hate so why bring the hate man. "

You said" random lashings" So I am being random. You asked for it so I gave. Dont say you welcome random lashing if you arnt ready for em.   If you want me to boil it down.  Just good music wont do it for me in a pokemon game. They need to try something different. Not just change the soundtrack and allow 3 on 3 battles.  "
    Toche Sir I did say that lol
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Whatevs! The biggest change, for me, is not having to ever rename my pokemon to correct their ALLCAPS NAMES!

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Mcfart said:
    " Bicycle music still sucks. Since I get on/off the bike often, I prefer to listen to a city's music rather then the same bike tune all the time.  Team Rocket music is great, I agree.  Since I played the game in japanease (don't understand it), I pretended that the green haired dude (chick?) just wanted to beat me in battle to earn the right in my pants. Same with the 2 rivels. They were competing to see who beats me faster so they can get in my pants. A spinoff from the "I saw her first" or the heads/tails roll or rockpapersissors.  Pokemon is better when you can make up what people are saying. "
    Yea that dude (chick?) totally wants in your pants...
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iDarktread
    @Mcfart said:

" Since I get on/off the bike often, I prefer to listen to a city's music rather then the same bike tune all the time. "

@AnimZero said: 

The biggest change, for me, is not having to ever rename my pokemon to correct their ALLCAPS NAMES! "

litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By litrock

I've been humming team plasma music all day, so .... yes, I agree.  I also really like the dynamic music. Route themes are mellow when you're standing still, and a nice jaunty drum kicks in when you start moving. It's a really nice touch, reminds me of Monkey Island 2's dynamic music stuff.   

Anyway, yes. Totally loving this game. Then again, I'm not really looking for something new with Pokemon. Refinements and some new guys every two or three years and I'll happily buy that.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

I really do like the Team Plasma music.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

The best music evokes a sense of place or some specific emotion or theme. The best I get from Pokemon is "Oh boy an overworld." and "Battles are happening." 

That's not to say it's bad, but I don't think it stands up on it's own as an entity completely independent of the game.

ThaMilkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By ThaMilkMan

I was gonna say something about the music in this game in a post but seems like you beat me to it. The technical things they do with the music I think is pretty amazing. For instance the first city after Route1 where you can ask the girl to play the piano, and the guy to play the drums it goes along with the theme of the town and I just thought it was a great touch and it can be turned off and on. Touches like that, and the fact that when you move on routes the drum pattern goes on, and when you stand still there are no drums, things like that got me excited for some odd reason. I absolutely love the music in this game (I have been playing the majority of it hooked up to speakers so ya know)  

They didn't have to remix old stuff they actually went in a direction, and it worked VERY well I might add.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Romination
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " The best music evokes a sense of place or some specific emotion or theme. The best I get from Pokemon is "Oh boy an overworld." and "Battles are happening."  That's not to say it's bad, but I don't think it stands up on it's own as an entity completely independent of the game. "
    Yo, dog, the theme is "battle". But yeah, the music is actually one of the things I feel has been getting slowly worse over the generations.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By JJOR64

I really like the Elite 4 Battle Music, but the Champion Battle Music could have been batter

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By keyhunter

Pokemon has always been one of the few series of portable games that consistently  has me plugging my sound system into my GB/GBC/GBA/DS. It's good shit.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Animasta
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " I really do like the Team Plasma music. "
    yeah, it's so amazing.
    SIXSIDES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SIXSIDES

Legend... wait for it         

...dary.
    moofey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By moofey

A lot of people have mentioned that they aren't really a fan of the new music and that it doesn't sound all the pokemon-ish. 

I tend to disagree. I think it goes well with the new style and I've probably listened to the soundtrack more than I have any other game. It's pretty good.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By yoshimitz707
    @The_Laughing_Man
    Right now people are not wanting new music. They want something different. They dont want just Gyms and elite four. They do not just want new pokemon and new locations they want something different. People who have been playing since Red and blue want something new. (Or at least I do) I would love for pokemon to have use outside of battle. Say..use one to power a bridge or have one harvest berries on a farm you can own or something just...different. Not just " You need badges. There will be an evil team trying to enslave pokemon. Then try to use that super pokemon to their evil deeds"  

Maybe this is just me
    Yeah, but in this one the evil team is trying to free the pokemon!
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zithe

This one is my favorite so far:

Kodo_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kodo_Beast

This song gave me the biggest smile. Oh how I hated that stupid low health sound effect in the older games, and just look at it now. It's a thing of beauty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.