Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 12, 2009

Remakes of the original Game Boy Color games, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver are given updated graphics and gameplay on the Nintendo DS.

Is my team good enough to beat the Elite Four?

InsaneAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By InsaneAvenger

Just wondering if, in your opinion, my team is good enough to beat the Elite Four. I know the levels are low, but I literally just started heading towards the Elite Four, so I'll level up a little hopefully. My team:

1. Pikachu (LVL 36) -Moves: Quick Attack, Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Thunder
    2. Lugia (LVL 45) -Moves: AeroBlast, Fly, Hydro Pump, Extrasensory
    3. Ponyta (LVL 34) -Moves: Take Down, Strength, Flame Wheel, Fire Blast
    4. Rhyhorn (LVL 34) -Moves: Rock Smash, Take Down, Iron Tail, Dig
    5. Alakazam (LVL 37) -Moves: Psycho Cut, Shadow Ball, Recover, Focus Blast
    6. Feraligatr (LVL 38) -Moves: Ice Fang, Blizzard, Surf, Hydro Cannon
    7. (I also have a Pidgeotto, LVL 35, but I wasn't planning on taking him to the Elite Four) Fly, Roost, Pluck (?), Don't remember last one

Just your opinions on whether or not they would be able to beat the Elite Four, based on the Pokemon and their moves rather than level. Thanks.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Doctorchimp

I don't like using legendaries.

But yeah it seems fine. I would say add in a fighting pokemon though. Heracross or Hitmonlee.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

You could always find out by trying.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Starfishhunter9

Evolve Pikachu and Ponyta and you'll be fine.

InsaneAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By InsaneAvenger

@Doctorchimp said:

I don't like using legendaries.

But yeah it seems fine. I would say add in a fighting pokemon though. Heracross or Hitmonlee.

I'll see if I can catch a Heracross, where would I do that? And whitch Pokemon should I in turn take out?

@BraveToaster said:

You could always find out by trying.

Planning on it, just wanted some opinions on it too.

@Starfishhunter9 said:

Evolve Pikachu and Ponyta and you'll be fine.

I was planning on evolving Ponyta, but I was going to wait for Pikachu until he learns Discharge. Besides, I need to get the stone from the Pokealothon, which I may need to wait for depending on whether or not the stone is available.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

@InsaneAvenger: I would take out Rhyhorn and just have another pokemon learn earthquake.

EDIT: I know you can get one by headbutting tress in Azaela Town.

InsaneAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By InsaneAvenger

@Doctorchimp said:

@InsaneAvenger: I would take out Rhyhorn and just have another pokemon learn earthquake.

EDIT: I know you can get one by headbutting tress in Azaela Town.

Get what? Also I accidentally sold Headbutt, so I can't get that unless you can buy it.

@Doctorchimp said:

Why? Is Rhyhorn not very good?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

Unless the Pokémon games have gotten massively easy I kind doubt it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The game isn't so complicated that it should take months of planning. Save, go fight them, learn what they're going to use.. if you have too much trouble, reload and rethink your plan, with an idea of who to use when.

Lugia will give you a massive edge, but I'd at least recommend evolving some of your other guys first.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CaptainCody

The Champ has near lvl 60s so I highly doubt you being able to beat them

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Starfishhunter9

@CaptainCody said:

The Champ has near lvl 60s so I highly doubt you being able to beat them

Ice beam?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By ZenaxPure

Your team and movesets are... kind of a mess to say it nicely but just buy a bunch of potions/full heals and you can solo it with Lugia, should be fine, though drop fly for something else fly is a TERRIBLE attack.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By sagesebas

@Starfishhunter9: Never evolve Pikachu

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NegativeCero

Well, all I can contribute is that if you don't always have your Pikachu following you outside of it's pokeball, you have missed the point of having it in your party.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Petiew

I'm pretty sure the highest levelled pokemon in the league is 50 so it shouldn't give you too much trouble.
    You might want to get some fighting moves other than Focus Blast and rock smash for the Dark team, and having multiple moves of the same type on the same pokemon is usually seen as kind of a wasted spot.

InsaneAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By InsaneAvenger

@Petiew said:

I'm pretty sure the highest levelled pokemon in the league is 50 so it shouldn't give you too much trouble. You might want to get some fighting moves other than Focus Blast and rock smash for the Dark team, and having multiple moves of the same type on the same pokemon is usually seen as kind of a wasted spot.

Took your advice on a few things, but I had no fight TM's, so I had to wing it. So far I've beat the Elite Four, just for the Champion now. Before I started I also leveled up all of my Pokemon to LVL 40-42, replaced Lugia's Fly with Dragon Pulse and Rhyhorn's Rock Smash with Earthquake, and evolved Pikachu > Raichu and Ponyta > Rapidash.

I've actually had really easy battles so far. I beat Elite #1 and Elite #3 without taking any status effects or any damage, and Elite #2 with only one Pokemon fainting. I had a hard time beating Elite #4, did it on first try, but half of my team fainted. So either I'm really lucky or really good, or the people who said my team wasn't good enough are just plain wrong. :P

Thanks for your help guys, just one last question: I was thinking of switching to Groudon after the Elite 4 and the Champ, and would Groudon be better than Rhyhorn?

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By SerHulse

@InsaneAvenger said:

...I was thinking of switching to Groudon after the Elite 4 and the Champ, and would Groudon be better than Rhyhorn?

For what though?

Personally, I stay away from Legendaries, catching, then immediately sticking them in their box. So if it was me in that situation, I would evolve Rhyhorn into Rhyperior and call it a day.

If you want to use Groudon, it is better than Rhyperior in every stat except HP, but it is a Legendary so what can you expect?

Although Rhyperior can learn a greater variety of moves than Groudon, something to keep in mind I suppose.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Canteu

@Zenaxzd: the hell it is, fly is the greatest.

InsaneAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By InsaneAvenger

@SerHulse said:

@InsaneAvenger said:

...I was thinking of switching to Groudon after the Elite 4 and the Champ, and would Groudon be better than Rhyhorn?

For what though?

Personally, I stay away from Legendaries, catching, then immediately sticking them in their box. So if it was me in that situation, I would evolve Rhyhorn into Rhyperior and call it a day.

If you want to use Groudon, it is better than Rhyperior in every stat except HP, but it is a Legendary so what can you expect?

Although Rhyperior can learn a greater variety of moves than Groudon, something to keep in mind I suppose.

I just realized I can't get Groudon until after I beat the Elite 4 the second time, so I'll stick to Rhyhorn. Sadly though I can't get a protector until after the Elite 4 the second time also, so I can't really evolve him until I pretty much finish the game... D:

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SerHulse

@InsaneAvenger: You don't have to beat them twice you know?

Beat them, and the Champion once, you will then go and face the 8 Leaders of Kanto, then after getting all 16 Badges, you face "Pokemon Trainer Red" He's the final boss.

The Protector is in Mt. Mortar, east of Ecruteak, you will need the National Dex.

And Groudon opens up after getting Rock Climb and all of the Kanto Badges, he's west of Cianwood.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NickL

@sagesebas said:

@Starfishhunter9: Never evolve Pikachu

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Canteu said:

@Zenaxzd: the hell it is, fly is the greatest.

That's a joke, right? Hard to tell.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By AndrewB

@SerHulse said:

Beat them, and the Champion once, you will then go and face the 8 Leaders of Kanto, then after getting all 16 Badges, you face "Pokemon Trainer Red" He's the final boss.

The Protector is in Mt. Mortar, east of Ecruteak, you will need the National Dex.

And Groudon opens up after getting Rock Climb and all of the Kanto Badges, he's west of Cianwood.

And good luck with Red and his level 80 Pokemon, unless you have the backup of a full compliment of level 100 Pokemon from other games.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SerHulse

@AndrewB: It's the Hail that gets you in that fight...

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Canteu

@Zenaxzd: hell no, Fly is the shiznitz!

Aeriously I actually like it. Always worked for me :(

What's so bad about it?

You get 2 damage free turns and some sweet damage PLUS it can take you to the elite 4 whenever you want! YEAH

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Canteu: Actually you only get one damage free turn depending on your speed and if any priority attacks are used (it's possible to not get any damage free turns with current enemy AI). But yeah, it's just bad because there are tons of other flying attacks that are better, such as Aeroblast which is Lugia already has. He'd be better off unlearning it for a different type of attack for more coverage.
    InsaneAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By InsaneAvenger

@SerHulse said:

Oh wow. Thanks, I would have totally gone to fight them again, oblivious to the fact I didn't need too.

I'm having trouble on Espion of Kanto Gym Leader #2 though. I simply cannot kill him. Maybe I'll try leveling up some more first. Any advice for him? xD

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SerHulse

@InsaneAvenger: Yeah, if I remember correctly, you should stay away from using Fighting or Psychic Types for that fight, use Bug, Dark or Ghost Types if you have them, you also needn't do the Leaders in any particular order, so I'm assuming you are facing Sabrina of Saffron City, if you are having a tough time with one of them try another.

Only Blue of Viridian City is in order, you have to face him last.

And it's no worry, they would have told you to go to Mt. Silver anyway after you get all of the badges.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.