Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 12, 2009

Remakes of the original Game Boy Color games, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver are given updated graphics and gameplay on the Nintendo DS.

The Secret Genius of the Pokewalker

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

Edited By Lies

Though I initially dismissed the Pokewalker as a gimmick, this thing was a stroke of genius by Nintendo. It encourages activity, but not so much as to be obnoxious about it. It's not the message that comes up every hour or so on the Wii and tells you to stop being a lazy fatass and go outside. It's tricky in that it actually encourages you not to play the game by giving you rewards in the game. Paradoxical. I like my pokemon, I really do, but levelling up monsters, especially higher level ones, is a huge grind. If, instead of grinding against the Elite Four for the tenth time, I can go for a run and have my Blastoise gain XP from that, that's something I might actually do. In addition to that, the fact that you can only gain one level per walk means you have to constantly sync it with your DS, meaning it's less likely you'll forget or stop playing their machine. It's an insidious little guy.

As a standalone accessory, this thing would never have done well (and that's coming from someone who owned an original Pokemon Pikachu). As a pack in though, it's great. It's a fantastic little way to expand your game and perhaps encourage some activity as well. I just hope this isn't a sign of more peripheral pack-in coming, as Nintendo has certainly been doing it a lot recently, but none of the Wii pack-ins have been as good as the Pokewalker- and you usually have to pay extra on the Wii :|

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Lies

Though I initially dismissed the Pokewalker as a gimmick, this thing was a stroke of genius by Nintendo. It encourages activity, but not so much as to be obnoxious about it. It's not the message that comes up every hour or so on the Wii and tells you to stop being a lazy fatass and go outside. It's tricky in that it actually encourages you not to play the game by giving you rewards in the game. Paradoxical. I like my pokemon, I really do, but levelling up monsters, especially higher level ones, is a huge grind. If, instead of grinding against the Elite Four for the tenth time, I can go for a run and have my Blastoise gain XP from that, that's something I might actually do. In addition to that, the fact that you can only gain one level per walk means you have to constantly sync it with your DS, meaning it's less likely you'll forget or stop playing their machine. It's an insidious little guy.

As a standalone accessory, this thing would never have done well (and that's coming from someone who owned an original Pokemon Pikachu). As a pack in though, it's great. It's a fantastic little way to expand your game and perhaps encourage some activity as well. I just hope this isn't a sign of more peripheral pack-in coming, as Nintendo has certainly been doing it a lot recently, but none of the Wii pack-ins have been as good as the Pokewalker- and you usually have to pay extra on the Wii :|

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Now if only Nintendo would get with the times and let me connect to the Internet on a non-WEP based system so I could download the cool new areas. ;__;

I want a flying Pikachu...

But yeah, I agree with you. I've walked home from school more since I got my Pokéwalker. Though, that can be often counterbalanced by stopping off at Burger King or Jack in the Box....

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

The only thing I've done with mine was transfer a Nidoran and toss it in the air a few times to see if it will walk that way.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

My pirate copy didn't come with one. D:

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Supermarius
    @Meowayne: you are a bad person. Also your pokemon don't count. :P
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ZeroCast

*Waits for the inevitable Vitality Sensor game which will revolutionize the industry...

Zombieheadbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Zombieheadbutt

SoulSilver is the first Pokemon game that I've put a good deal of time into and the Pokewalker is a novel addition to a game I thought to long and tedious to play.  I especially like how you can get hard to get items and rare Pokemon from just walking about.  

Not to try and hijack this thread but how did you manage to get your Blog posted here?  When I Blog I only ever have the option of putting it in one of the main boards like Genera or Off-Topic.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By kishan6
    @Meowayne said:
    " My pirate copy didn't come with one. D: "
    lol? 
    would u want to be seen at school with it? 
    think of it that way
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By StarFoxA

I left mine in my pants and now it's filled with water.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Pepsiman
    @kishan6 said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    " My pirate copy didn't come with one. D: "
    lol? would u want to be seen at school with it? think of it that way "
    Actually, these remakes have been causing quite the resurgence in Pokemon players amongst people skewing a bit older than the usual audience. I've known and seen guys walking around on my uni campus with the Pokewalkers and these aren't necessarily people who cared for the series at all after the GBC installments. I wouldn't say the Pokewalkers are really that much of a social stigma at all. Besides, most of the time it just stays in your pocket anyway. There's no reason to go OCD on them and check every other step if that Togepi you left in there has found more berries for you yet, so it's not as though people just automatically know you have one anyway.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DrPockets000

The Pokewalker is genius.  I too have been walking across my campus more often.

Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
    deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Anyone remember the Digimon Walker? I had that when i was like 10 and it was so awesome. Walk around get in battles and help your Digimon Digivolve!  Loved it.

nlaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nlaire
    @Gellrock: DIGIMON? Blasphemy.
    Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Liam_mk

I"m just bringing my pokewaker everywhere with the hope of leveling my magikarp to 100.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.