Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 12, 2009

Remakes of the original Game Boy Color games, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver are given updated graphics and gameplay on the Nintendo DS.

When should I NOT evolve a pokemon?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

I've heard things about choosing to not evolve a pokemon in order to learn certain skills or something. I don't know if this is true or what, but there have been "everstones" in a lot of pokemon games that keep pokemon from evolving. Also you could always press b to stop a pokemon from evolving so I assume it's useful somehow. But I've been playing pokemon games since the Red Version on my Gameboy Color and I have always just evolved my pokemon immediately. Can someone let me know exactly why one would ever stop an evolution? Seems pointless to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff1240337f3e
    deactivated-5ff1240337f3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Different movesets for certain levels. Its really deep and compicated

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By Atlas
    • Unevolved Pokemon level up quicker than evolved Pokemon
    • Unevolved Pokemon can learn moves earlier than evolved Pokemon
    • If you don't have the necessary badge for that level of Pokemon, unevolved Pokemon are much more obedient than evolved Pokemon.

Only level up your Pokemon when you start to struggle and battles are getting tougher. Evolving your Totodile into Croconaw at Level 25 is waaay more valuable in the long-run than evolving him at Level 20. In the past I have taken a Pokemon that has two evolved forms, like the starting Pokemon, delayed their first evolution until they're the level below their second evolution, and then evolve them twice over just two levels. It works a treat, if you can afford to be fighting gym members with a Level 33 Cyndaquil.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael

I think some Pokémon only learn certain moves in their lesser forms. So basically, if you've got Pokemon X that learns move Y at level 36, but evolves into Z, who can't learn Y, at level 32, you can interrupt its evolution until it's reached level 36, granting you a Z who knows Y. 

I also think there are some Pokemon that don't necessarily improve when evolving, but rather change(like, say, increased Attack, but decreased Speed).

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Atlas said:

"

• Unevolved Pokemon level up quicker than evolved Pokemon
    • Unevolved Pokemon can learn moves earlier than evolved Pokemon
    • If you don't have the necessary badge for that level of Pokemon, unevolved Pokemon are much more obedient than evolved Pokemon.
     Only level up your Pokemon when you start to struggle and battles are getting tougher. Evolving your Totodile into Croconaw at Level 25 is waaay more valuable in the long-run than evolving him at Level 20. In the past I have taken a Pokemon that has two evolved forms, like the starting Pokemon, delayed their first evolution until they're the level below their second evolution, and then evolve them twice over just two levels. It works a treat, if you can afford to be fighting gym members with a Level 33 Cyndaquil. "
    So what you're saying is that I'm not missing out on anything by evolving quickly, i just wont learn moves until the pokemon is a higher level? I still don't understand how it's way more valuable. 

Anyways I already evolved my starter pokemon as soon as I could. It is now at level 25. Should I hold off on evolution the next time it tries?

@Icemael said:
    " I think some Pokémon only learn certain moves in their lesser forms. So basically, if you've got Pokemon X that learns move Y at level 36, but evolves into Z, who can't learn Y, at level 32, you can interrupt its evolution until it's reached level 36, granting you a Z who knows Y. 

I also think there are some Pokemon that don't necessarily improve when evolving, but rather change(like, say, increased Attack, but decreased Speed). "

Ahh, interesting. I think I need to use a guide.   :P
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Depends on the pokemon. Some learn unique moves if they dont evolve, other, or better said, most of them, just learn their evolved forms attacks many levels before (sometimes over 10 lvls lower). 
    Most of the time is up to you, if you want to speed up the movement adquisition or not. 
    As for myself, I dont bother with that. The extra stats are a great boost to tackle battles easier, and get to the point were I can raise new ones properly.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas
    @JJWeatherman:  It's about the long term. It's about the best, easiest and quickest way of getting a Pokemon to Level 75, which is what they'll need to be for the end-game battles. If you don't evolve a Pokemon early on, they will advance levels quicker. Let's say that choosing to evolve a Pokemon at Level 25 rather than Level 20 means that they evolve in 10 fewer battles, well when it takes well over a hundred to get to Lv. 75, every little helps. If you have enough patience to take a completely unevolved Pokemon all the way to Lv. 50, you'll be in much better shape to tear through the rest of the gameI play Pokemon games on a curve; the game gets harder and harder, then you evolve your Pokemon to make them stronger, and suddenly the game is significantly easier. Wash, rince and repeat.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MikkaQ
    @JJWeatherman:  

Here's the easiest way to tell. 

This website, bulbapedia is your new friend. Basically google any pokemon name, and it'll be one of the first couple results. There's info on when any pokemon learns what attacks at what level. See something you like past the evolve level? Then don't evolve.  

Personally I've never found it worth it to me. Evolving is way more fun, and it's rare that it comes in handy. 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @XII_Sniper: Holy mother of god. There's infinite amounts of information on that site. I'll definitely be looking some stuff up there.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ
    @JJWeatherman:  More fun than the actual USEFUL info on the site, I like looking up all the glitches and glitch pokemon and seeing what they did to games and stuff. As a kid, I found a ton of glitches and glitch pokemon, lost my save multiple times as a result, hell almost broke the card, period. The original game was so loosely coded, and even all the recent ones have some glitches too. 

Aaah I remember catching good 'ol Missingno. 
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @XII_Sniper: Holy mother of god. There's infinite amounts of information on that site. I'll definitely be looking some stuff up there. "
    Be careful that website doesn't chew you up and spit you out. It has torn apart families... 

Waiting can be very valuable because there are moves that evolved creatures never learn, that their previous states do if you wait a while. I think Cyndaquil is an example, where it learns flamethrower or something at a later level, but if you immediately evolve it to a Typhlosion it will never get learned.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @XII_Sniper said:

" @JJWeatherman:  More fun than the actual USEFUL info on the site, I like looking up all the glitches and glitch pokemon and seeing what they did to games and stuff. As a kid, I found a ton of glitches and glitch pokemon, lost my save multiple times as a result, hell almost broke the card, period. The original game was so loosely coded, and even all the recent ones have some glitches too.  Aaah I remember catching good 'ol Missingno.  "

I remember catching him (or...it) too. I think I cheated to catch it though. All I remember is surfing along the edge of cinnabar island for like an hour.  :P

@AgentJ:
    Son of a bitch. Now I have to get flamethrower from a TM I guess. That's my favorite attack ever. Of course it's only my favorite for nostalgic reasons. It was my go-to for my Charizard back on Red Version.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Evilsbane

Lol reading this thread makes me wanna play pokemon. Oh no... wait I really do wanna play all this talk of evolving and watching the QL...I really do want to play. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO I Left that in the past, need to resist......Oh shit I think I am starting to have...nostalgia

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Chirag4

What John Lennon said.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TotalEklypse

just dont feed them after midnight
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Belonpopo

Most Pokemon are good are ready to evolve when they evolve, you don't need to put evolution aside. When it comes to Pokemon like Kadabra and Machoke level them up a few levels before you trade them and put them in thier third stage.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By JJOR64

Like everyone has been saying, it depends on the Pokemon and their moves they learn when they level up.  I personally don't give two shits because I really don't battle that much with other people.  I get the most enjoyment out of the game when I just try to catch them and fill out the Pokedex.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:

" @JJWeatherman:  More fun than the actual USEFUL info on the site, I like looking up all the glitches and glitch pokemon and seeing what they did to games and stuff. As a kid, I found a ton of glitches and glitch pokemon, lost my save multiple times as a result, hell almost broke the card, period. The original game was so loosely coded, and even all the recent ones have some glitches too.  Aaah I remember catching good 'ol Missingno.  "

I remember catching him (or...it) too. I think I cheated to catch it though. All I remember is surfing along the edge of cinnabar island for like an hour.  :P

@AgentJ: Son of a bitch. Now I have to get flamethrower from a TM I guess. That's my favorite attack ever. Of course it's only my favorite for nostalgic reasons. It was my go-to for my Charizard back on Red Version. "

Cyndaquil gets flamethrower in the mid 30s, at that point you'd have your final evolution, that's a lot of waiting and holding back for one move. 

And yeah I remember you talked to the old man who did the pokemon catching tutorial a certain amount of times, then fly to cinnabar, and surf up and down the very edge, and yeah it would appear or something like that. I dunno, it was fun. I heard people did that to duplicate items and things, with it but I never did that stuff. I'd just use a gameshark or something. Aaah the memories. Beating a game, then to squeeze more fun out of it, see how badly you can break it.  

And people complain that achievements are useless. Bah. Beats that entertainment I had as a kid..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.