Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Quick Question for Co-Op. Does it spoil the single player at all?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MikkaQ

Hey guys, just wondering if I play the co-op first, will the single player be spoiled in any significant way? I'm not a super sensitive nancy about minor spoilers, but overt references to events in the single player would be frustrating.

I just bought the game today and already have a friend waiting to play to co-op, so I was just wondering if I'd be fine doing that first. 
    KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

Nope.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

Word. I like how easy that was. 

Sorry if it was brought up before, but I searched, and when that turned up nothing, I looked at the first few pages to no avail.
    IceOrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By IceOrb

It'll spoil the end of the game a bit.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seedofpower

Yes is does, and in more than one way.

All the mechanics  you learn in the co-op will get old much faster in the single player and for the ending there is a bit of continuity explained.

IceOrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IceOrb

Also it totally takes place after the campaign sooooo... yeah...

Really difficult to say exactly what will be spoiled without spoiling the thing itself. Suffice it to say yes you would spoil something if you played coop first.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Yanngc33
    @IceOrb: I don't think it does, most of the game is narrative free except for the ending that fleshes out the universe. The story around the co-op mainly centers around the two robots and testing.
    IceOrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IceOrb
    @Yanngc33:  What? The entire game is narrative. You are constantly getting fed new pieces of story before, during, and after every puzzle.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yanngc33
    @IceOrb: Yeah but in co-op, all GLaDOS says is how she loves testing and alludes to some events from the second game but these are more like teasers than anything else. The story centers on the two bots and nothing else
    Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yanngc33 said:
    " @IceOrb: Yeah but in co-op, all GLaDOS says is how she loves testing and alludes to some events from the second game but these are more like teasers than anything else. The story centers on the two bots and nothing else "
    IceOrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IceOrb
    @Manhattan_Project:  Also the whole it takes place after the events of the SP so you already know what is gonna happen with at least one character if you play the coop first.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yanngc33
    @Manhattan_Project said:
    " @Yanngc33 said:
    " @IceOrb: Yeah but in co-op, all GLaDOS says is how she loves testing and alludes to some events from the second game but these are more like teasers than anything else. The story centers on the two bots and nothing else "
    "
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By imsh_pl

Not really. I mean, unless you know what to look for, it propably won't spoil anything crucial.

I finished the coop after the campaign and I must say I didn't pick up a single thing which I could connect to the events of Portal 2's main storyline.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yanngc33 said:
    " @Manhattan_Project said:
    " @Yanngc33 said:
    "
    "
    Tell that to my friend who was playing co-op with me. He lost his shit when that came up. And all he had seen was the trailers to Portal 2.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yanngc33
    @Manhattan_Project said:
    " @Yanngc33 said:
    " @Manhattan_Project said:
    " @Yanngc33 said:
    "
    "
    Tell that to my friend who was playing co-op with me. He lost his shit when that came up. And all he had seen was the trailers to Portal 2. "
    Yeah I guess you should play single player first than. Note that I played co-op after single and I just remember the dialogue as being mainly focused around the two robots. If you fear getting exposed to hints of how Portal 2 may end and you're well aware of the premise, than yes play Portal 2 alone first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.