Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prey

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released May 05, 2017

The second game released with the Prey title, the player assumes the role of Morgan Yu as they attempt to escape the space station Talos-1 after a catastrophic alien outbreak.

Prey 2006 or Prey 2017?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Giant_Gamer

Poll Prey 2006 or Prey 2017? (358 votes)

Prey 2006 15%
    Prey 2017 45%
    I Like Them Both 11%
    Results 29%

I'm pretty sure that this question came to many others minds as this franchise had the earliest video game reboot that i can remember.

Even though both games have the same title, they both target different audience. Prey 2006 was a shooter aimed at being a shooter and it delivered on that. However with Prey 2017, even though it's a shooter game it aimed at delivering on story telling and world building which from the impressions i have gathered it has affected the shooting part of the game but it wasn't to the extent that made the players hate the game for it, it just wasn't as good as the previous release.

Now, metacritic gave Prey 2006 83% on PC while giving Prey 2017 86% on Xbox One. So, by looking at the numbers alone this game should be a step up after the previous release but what do you think?

• 
    maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted 2017 despite not having played it. The 2006 game was just too easy to be interesting and the respawn gameplay was also bad. I did like it well enough when I bought and played it then but I'm willing to bet it's a pretty poor game by today's standards. It was a pretty cool thing then but if the new one is even mildly competent it's going to be a better game even if it is a bit of a different game.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prey 2017 is my GOTY so far, so that. It just ticks all my boxes.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Having only played the demos of both games, I'd rank them:

Prey 2006 up until you get abducted by aliens > Prey 2017 > the rest of Prey 2006

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bybeach

@hans_maulwurf said:

Having only played the demos of both games, I'd rank them:

Prey 2006 up until you get abducted by aliens > Prey 2017 > the rest of Prey 2006

Lol. I still remembers the wrench scene in the bar....get em Tommy!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't played Arkane's Prey, but I didn't hate Human Head's Prey. Yeah it was kind of stupidly easy with the whole respawn system of shooting ghosts with a bow or whatever the fuck it was, but it did some neat things with the portal stuff. It did get repetitive towards the end, especially with the flying ship sections.
    But I'm also a dude who will happily play through the most generic first person shooter you throw at me, as long as the weapons feel good.

ThePhantomPear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather have the Prey made by Human Head, youknow...bèfore Bethesda scumbags made an hostile take-over to gain the studio's assets. I implore everyone to not buy Prey 2017.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@kingbonesaw: While I completely agree with you in general, and find the way they reuse the IP ridiculous; the title "Prey" actually fits this here game perfectly. And not in the obvious way you'd expect from the beginning, it plays with the concept quite a bit.

I've played both games, though I ain't quite finished with 2017 Prey. The original, I really enjoyed as one of 'em better B-Tier games Vinny often speaks of. It had a ton of ideas, and executed some of 'em incredibly well, others not so much. Overall, it was a really fun experience that I remember fondly.

This here second game is just a modern System Shock, with a great story to match. And hey, I'm A-OKAY(!!!) with that. But there's definitely still a part of me that misses the original idea of a far-future bounty hunter. A lot of people have given voice to similar sentiment, so it wouldn't surprise me if that game was made one day.

Heck, we'll eventually need a tangentially bounty-hunter related game to topple "Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath".

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only played the demo of the first game but i remember it being pretty innovative at least with the portals and size stuff. Think it came out right before or at the same time portal did too, so it had some unique concepts at the time. Also the main character wasnt generic soldier like mosy games at the time.

New one doesn't seen appealing at all from what i have seen, feel like i have played better versions of this game before. Plus the aliens look stupid and beating them with a wrench feels absurd and not in a good way.(maybe i am wrong though)

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By s10129107

Have only watched the quick look for the new Prey. Played through the old Prey and can't remember much about it except that it was kinda boring and average. You could walk on ceilings and there was some generic native american stuff mixed in. Not great.

New Prey seems like better Prey.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather have the Prey made by Human Head, youknow...bèfore Bethesda scumbags made an hostile take-over to gain the studio's assets. I implore everyone to not buy Prey 2017.

Bethesda/Zenimax aren't going to suffer much from not buying the new Prey but Arkane will, so this is a stupid idea. All you are going to do is encourage another studio to get screwed over.

I really like both Prey games.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I have 1,000 achivements in the original, new one looks neat.

So both!

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the original to its completion. Not that I am proud of that, because the story was kinda terrible, plus... vagina walls?

I've watched videos of the new one and while it looks good I cannot seem to find myself interested in reimagining of a mediocre game.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Bethesda shrugs this shit right off but it could hurt Arkane who just make rad games and don't deserve that shit.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol what? The original was kind of a mediocre game at the time it came out. I bet it aged terribly too. The new one is great.

12% of people voted for the old one really?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pyrodactyl

@efesell said:
    @thephantompear said:

I feel like Bethesda shrugs this shit right off but it could hurt Arkane who just make rad games and don't deserve that shit.

I bet it's going to really help the variety and the quality of AAA games on offer if you take a stand and boycott Arkane's best game. Yeah, you yell at Bethesda ''I DON'T LIKE GOOD GAMES, PLEASE STOP MAKING THOSE''.

Like all those people who didn't buy Hitman because it was episodic and always online. Now we'll probably never get a sequel to the best stealth game of all time. But fight the power, am I right?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retrometal: It's not a reimagining. They just kept the name because it is a good name.

ThePhantomPear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:
    @thephantompear said:

I bet it's going to really help the variety and the quality of AAA games on offer if you take a stand and boycott Arkane's best game. Yeah, you yell at Bethesda ''I DON'T LIKE GOOD GAMES, PLEASE STOP MAKING THOSE''. Fight the power, am I right?

Calling Prey 2017 good is stretching it. It's just another dime in a dozen. Bethesda/ZeniMax should be accountable for what they did, and sadly boycotting their product is the only meaningful way. When people heard what happened to Vince Zampella and his team with Call of Duty, people were up in arms about it. Yet, nobody knows what happened to Human Head, a fate much worse in my opinion. You should read Jason Schreier's article on it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I was unaware anyone had especially fond feelings for the old Prey outside of it doing some neat stuff with portals and that smoke and mirrors E3 demo for Prey 2.

I'm only a couple of hours into this new one, but it seems pretty great and the closest thing to a new System Shock we're going to see... well, until the System Shock remake and System Shock 3 come out. Kinda insane that game is getting as many successors as it is after all this time.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pyrodactyl

@thephantompear said:
    @pyrodactyl said:
    @efesell said:
    @thephantompear said:

I bet it's going to really help the variety and the quality of AAA games on offer if you take a stand and boycott Arkane's best game. Yeah, you yell at Bethesda ''I DON'T LIKE GOOD GAMES, PLEASE STOP MAKING THOSE''. Fight the power, am I right?

Calling Prey 2017 good is stretching it. It's just another dime in a dozen. Bethesda/ZeniMax should be accountable for what they did, and sadly boycotting their product is the only meaningful way. When people heard what happened to Vince Zampella and his team with Call of Duty, people were up in arms about it. Yet, nobody knows what happened to Human Head, a fate much worse in my opinion. You should read Jason Schreier's article on it.

If you have a bone to pick with Bethesda boycott their next in house game or Elder Scrolls online.

1- If Prey sells poorly all they'll do is downsize/close Arkane Studios

2- You don't know if the closing of Human Head was justified. Maybe they completely screwed up the development of Prey 2. Besides, it's not like that studio has a treasured legacy or anything. In the last 10 years they made a mediocre early 360 game and the batman game no one talks about.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantompear: Compared to what exactly is Prey just another 'dime in the dozen'? Arkane's other works? They seem to be the only developers that seem keen and are able to produce games like this anymore now that Deus Ex has been put on ice. There's also System Shock 3 but that's still years away from release, probably 2019. If similarity to developers other works is the new criteria for mediocrity then we can completely discount most games coming out these days.

I get that the Human Head debacle is still a sore point for some but Arkane couldn't be further away from that whole event and I enjoy playing good video games too much with my spare time to follow some super vague call for action that would mainly just affect the innocent developers of those games.

ThePhantomPear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:
    @thephantompear said:

I bet it's going to really help the variety and the quality of AAA games on offer if you take a stand and boycott Arkane's best game. Yeah, you yell at Bethesda ''I DON'T LIKE GOOD GAMES, PLEASE STOP MAKING THOSE''.

Like all those people who didn't buy Hitman because it was episodic and always online. Now we'll probably never get a sequel to the best stealth game of all time. But fight the power, am I right?

Hitman's price per episode was just too high. €15 for only 3 levels? €8 for just the prologue? People just don't like their games piecemeal, especially not at those prices, regardless of quality. Square Enix or whoever made a bad decision about the AAA-buyer, especially in 2017 with the release of Season 1 Complete at retail when so many great games are coming out.

Hitman was/is a fun game but their pricing put me off and I waited for a GOTY/complete edition instead. I can't play games in episodic form, not when I have to scedule vacations to play & finish a game. I can't wait for my next Hit. (PUN INTENDED)

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thephantompear: 15 for the prologue (which I played for 20 hours) and if you like it you can buy the upgrade pack for 50 or something. Pretty great deal if you ask me. You get to try the thing for the price of a movie ticket and if you like it you can buy the greatest stealth game ever made + constant content support for 65. Or you can buy the whole thing like a regular game for 60.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: Prey 2006 was really fun for its time and i can see myself enjoying it if i play it right now. I really liked the shooting in that game along with the creative weapons, the gravity rails and the portals which added depth to the game as a whole.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prey 2006 I tried the new Prey it didn't click with me also I feel the old Prey is underrated in terms of the ufo design inside the ship it's a mix between organic and mechanical. On another note if anyone has Prey 2006 and the Oculus Rift or Vive I highly recommend it. The ship looks amazing in VR it's one of the best unofficial VR games there is the lighting and holograms in the game look incredible.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By big_denim

It's a shame that the first few hours of Prey (2017) starts out with mediocre combat because the game gets reaaaallly fun once you unlock some of the alien skills. Unfortunately, I think the less interesting stuff is what is being shown in quick looks and thus many people have already shrugged​ this game off.

Hell, the Deus Ex-esque exploration part of the game did it better then Deus Ex too.

Definitely one of the better games I've played this year.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2017 Prey is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. 2006 Prey has a cool opening and some neat ideas with the portals but everything else was pretty bad.

New Prey is incredible. Not done yet but so far its the best game I've played this year. Its one of the few games where it feels like you're actually exploring a real, lived in place. I honestly haven't had as much trouble with the combat as other people, the shooting is serviceable and on normal there is plenty of ammo and materials for crafting. The only thing I use the wrench for is mimics

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mattimus_prime

I'm still bitter about prey 2

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BrainScratch

Unless Prey 2017 gets waaaaay better after what I played on the demo, I rather play Prey 2006 twice than continue to play through 2017.

However, I don't think Prey 2006 holds up that well nowadays. It was a product of it's era and most of it's impact only worked back then, when most FPS games were getting pretty uninspired. But I also think that Prey 2006 deserves more credit. Most people shrug it off either because of the story progression or because of the easy gameplay, but I think that game did some really neat stuff on gameplay mechanics and overall design of environments, enemies and guns.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NeoCalypso

@johnymyko said:

Unless Prey 2017 gets waaaaay better after what I played on the demo, I rather play Prey 2006 twice than continue to play through 2017.

However, I don't think Prey 2006 holds up that well nowadays. It was a product of it's era and most of it's impact only worked back then, when most FPS games were getting pretty uninspired. But I also think that Prey 2006 deserves more credit. Most people shrug it off either because of the story progression or because of the easy gameplay, but I think that game did some really neat stuff on gameplay mechanics and overall design of environments, enemies and guns.

It actually does happen to get way better. The demo is kinda shit compared to the rest of the game in terms of gameplay, especially if you happened to have played it on the PS4. You don't get to see any of the research stuff, or the other half of the neuromod tree which includes all the crazy powers, or any of the suit and helmet mods, or any of the cooler weapons/enemies/environments.

Also I'm playing on PC so I don't know that this is true but supposedly the serious input lag on the PS4 version is gone in the latest 1.02 patch.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, you're seriously telling us you would like to play the mediocre corridor shooter from 2006 instead of the modern open ended thriller exploration game with cool weapons and space powers? I hope I never get so jaded as to play the opening of Prey 2017 and shrug. How can you yearn for the days when we got 5 hour corridor shooters with a bad story and a few shallow gimmicks as basically the one game coming out in a span of 3 months?

2017: the best year to be playing video games TM.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnymyko said:

It actually does happen to get way better. The demo is kinda shit compared to the rest of the game in terms of gameplay, especially if you happened to have played it on the PS4. You don't get to see any of the research stuff, or the other half of the neuromod tree which includes all the crazy powers, or any of the suit and helmet mods, or any of the cooler weapons/enemies/environments.

Also I'm playing on PC so I don't know that this is true but supposedly the serious input lag on the PS4 version is gone in the latest 1.02 patch.

Yeah, I played it on the PS4 and besides me not really enjoying the overall artstyle and gameplay (I'm tired of crafting and inventory management and not really into "metroid" exploration formats), the audio bugs and severe input lag were a major turn off that really didn't help and probably contributed for my overall dislike for the game. But the story, environments and concepts seemed really interesting, maybe I'll just end up getting it after a price drop.

@johnymyko said:

Man, you're seriously telling us you would like to play the mediocre corridor shooter from 2006 instead of the modern open ended thriller exploration game with cool weapons and space powers? I hope I never get so jaded as to play the opening of Prey 2017 and shrug. How can you yearn for the days when we got 5 hour corridor shooters with a bad story and a few shallow gimmicks as basically the one game coming out in a span of 3 months?

2017: the best year to be playing video games TM.

Or, you know, maybe different people have different tastes and opinions. Just because you hate the first and loved the second it doesn't mean everybody else has to feel the same way as you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@pyrodactyl: You say corridor shooter like it's inherently a bad thing. 2006 Prey has more satisfying shooting than 2017 Prey could ever hope to have because that was the focus of the game, fast paced shooting. Not trying to tell some clever story or giving you a million skill menu systems to click through. Arkane can't do satisfying combat, Dishonored felt clunky as hell. Even their older stuff like Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah had some questionable combat design, though I enjoyed playing both those games for their interesting settings and level design.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed all the crazy alien weapons on Prey 2006. I don't remember much besides that. It was pretty fun though.

Laner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really enjoyed the first Prey - there's a couple of great moments in that game that I still clearly recall.

But Prey '17 is my jam. Deus Ex and Bioshock are both dead for now. And it's gonna be a while before we see the System Shock 1 remake, and even longer before System Shock 3 sees the light of day. Prey fills that gap nicely.

piotrk0386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By piotrk0386

@maginnovision: Judging 2006 game by modern standards is stupid. Standards change day by day. How is a 2006 no longer supported game supposed to compete with current productions? The question is which you liked more when they were on their prime. The question asked in the poll is also stupid 2017 PREY is a completely different game with absolutely no connection to the 2006 Prey.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@piotrk0386: Dude...this thread is damn near 2 years old...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.