Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

Coming to Xbox Games Preview (Early Access) Dec 12 : $29.99

• 55 results
    Avatar image for thelandostander
    TheLandoStander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By TheLandoStander

So, have we set up any clubs or groups to team up with our fellow Bombadiers? I know we have an unofficial Discord for PUBG but that feels more PC focused.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

So what's the word with this game on Xbox One? Is it in good enough shape to drop $30 on it? Just trying to see what people think.

Avatar image for thelandostander
    TheLandoStander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing a split between the PC and my OG Xbox One. If your PC is up to the task, sure it's better to play PUBG on the PC from a performance stand point but the Xbox version gets you into this game and typically delivers a similar experience.

The inventory management could be a little more elegant on the Xbox version and I'm still tweaking to find my sensitivity sweet spot for the controller but it's allowed me to play this game with friends who would never take the time or effort to get a PC capable of running PUBG together.

I think my one issue is that it's still a bit easier with the unofficial GB PUBG discord to get a group of duders together and make squad runs. So that begs the question.

Have we put together an Xbox group for this game yet? I'd really like to have more chances to squad up with folks who're a bit less likely to be complete jerks or screaming kids.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
    deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if it’s been answered, is the Xbox version a disc (that can be traded in if you don’t like it) or just a code inside a box?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@colonel_pockets said:

So what's the word with this game on Xbox One? Is it in good enough shape to drop $30 on it? Just trying to see what people think.

Speaking as someone who has watched a lot of--but not actually played any of--the PC version, the Xbox One version feels like a work in progress, but a work that shows enormous (and I mean ENORMOUS) potential.

Microsoft was very smart to label this an "Early Access" release. A lot of work sits between where this game is presently and where they want this game to be. The sheer mathematical quantity of network hiccups and crashes makes me wish they'd produced some kind of open beta before consumers were asked to pay. We have several Xbox Ones in the house--base model and X--and, despite a battery of patches and updates, the game still struggles against a handful of technical problems. This includes, but is not limited to: environmental geometry not loading minutes into a match, hard crashes to the dashboard, perceptible and often consequential network lag as players near each other mid-match.

It sounds like a shit show. And sometimes, it very much is.

But when the game works--again, said by someone who played zero minutes and zero seconds of the clearly superior PC version--it's fucking magic. You understand the hype, feel the pressure, and can only revel in the thrill of the concept. Every kill feels like a triumph, every loss a personal wound. The game forces you to employ tactics that simply aren't a necessity in any other console shooter. I have a genuinely great time playing around in this version of the game. The shortcomings aren't excused--I have lost matches entirely as the result of network problems--and they're never totally invisible. But the core of the game is so compelling that the right person could look past those issues.

I don't know. I like it. I'm going to stick with it. It's been fascinating to watch the Xbox PUBG team try to patch the wheels of a vehicle in motion, but I genuinely believe this game is going to end up in a good place.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@inevpatoria: Cool, thanks for the detailed response. It sounds like I should wait a bit for them to continue the patches. I really want this to be great on the Xbox One since I don't have a PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.