Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Quantum Break

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Apr 05, 2016

A third-person shooter from the studio behind Max Payne and Alan Wake, with heavy time-travel and time-manipulation themes.

Did anyone like Quantum Break?

CallMeTitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CallMeTitus

I played it, it was great, i rate it 8/10. Anyhow this is my first post on GiantBomb, very interesting website. Anyhow, did any of you find this game fun or not, opinions, etc. I liked the live action TV show episodes of it aka long cutscenes, it was a nice touch to the game. Also I find the game good because it involves time manipulation, etc. I like stuff about time manipulation and time travel.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of in the middle. The show was fine but it was pretty generic and really killed the pacing of the game. The actual gameplay was OK but it was incredibly disappointing considering that this is the developer that made Max fucking Payne, the best TPS series of all time. The powers didn't feel like actual time powers but felt like they designed powers and slapped "time" in the names. The final boss battle was also incredibly aggravating. Overall it was a pretty mediocre game

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's definitely not as good as either Max Payne game or Alan Wake but I still loved it. The show didn't work 100% but they tried something different and I really appreciated it.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By isomeri

Quantum Break had the stench of a game designed by multiple marketing and focus teams, leaving very little room for that Remedy magic that livened up Max Payne and Alan Wake. It was not a bad game by any means with great production values and solid game-play throughout, but in the end the was no soul left in it.

Also, welcome to Giant Bomb @callmetitus. This is a very interesting website indeed.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I really enjoyed it, but did wait to buy until it was in a sale. The story was strong and memorable (as were the cast) and I enjoyed the time powers. The game seems like it had a lot of effort put into it.

I thought the live actions scenes worked well generally but were let down by some editing and scripting issues. I must say that Quantum Break is a really brave attempt, since additional skills are required for film/game integration - aside from the more traditional film techniques with live actors that are not typically used in game production either.

I hope Remedy continue in their unique style of storytelling through gaming.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

Not really. I thought it was okay. While I didn't have the utmost excitement for it, I knew I'd probably get it because Remedy make great games, and yet it was still kind of disappointing. I'd honestly much rather go back to playing Alan Wake (and actually, I do, do that). Nothing in it was really bad, but most of it was best described as 'eh' to me. I liked the part and really felt for when Beth Wilder took that leap in time and stayed there for all those years, only for you as the player and the character to catch up to her in brief time, though it's not really a unique moment. Quantum Break - being from Remedy - could have been a highlight of this year to me, but it was one of those games that I played and tried to like more, but is one that I finish, and don't think much of after it's done. I just move onto something else. As for the TV show thing, I was okay with it. I was into what was going on enough at least, but I would rather it not be in it to break up my time with what's in the game, and I wished there was an option to take it out altogether (as opposed to just being able to skip it when it comes up).

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really enjoyed it! Alan Wake is one of my favourites of the last generation, and I love the quirky tone of Remedy's games.

CallMeTitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CallMeTitus

@ntm: True, I played the game again to try different endings or decisions or choices, but I suddenly got bored of it, the action just grew a little stale, it's a good game, but it's not really that fun to play it again to be honest. Max Payne or Alan Wake were fun when I played them a lot of times, I just finished Alan Wake the second time, this time I played the DLCs. I played Max Payne 1 and 2 plenty of times and it's still fun. Also Remedy stated that they didn't want Quantum Break to be a triple A title, correct me if I'm wrong.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Just finished it. I really enjoyed the whole thing. I thought that it was a cool time travel action movie made into a game.

I see a trend of people who didn't like it calling it a cover shooter, which is not what I would consider it. Stringing together the powers was pretty fun and none of the combat encounters overstayed their welcome (unlike uncharted).

Maybe it helped that I went in with low expectations, but I thought it was really good.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By DharmaBum

It was on sale this week so I bought and replayed it to give it another chance. The story definetely made more sense the second time through and Alex bringing up Beth Wilder during GOTY deliberations made me pay closer attention to her character. I would agree that she's one of the strongest things about the story. The TV show stuff still felt too low budget and throwaway compared the game itself, so I ended up skipping it again.

Sadly the combat doesn't flow as well as I would have hoped from a Remedy game (Max Payne and Alan Wake have much more elegant combat systems). The visual effects when you use your time powers and when bodies are floating in mid-air are very impressive to behold, though. In fact the engine they've built, especially the character models and materials, is some of the best work I've seen in the industry and avoids the uncanny valley better than most AAA titles.

To answer the question, I'd say I do like QB despite its shortcomings (and one of the worst final boss fights I've ever played).

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Aside from the final boss it was the last game that I have completed all achievements for. I just really enjoyed the game overall and the combat was fun enough I was able to play through the game twice to get all the collectibles.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@mems1224 said:

I'm kind of in the middle. The show was fine but it was pretty generic and really killed the pacing of the game. The actual gameplay was OK but it was incredibly disappointing considering that this is the developer that made Max fucking Payne, the best TPS series of all time. The powers didn't feel like actual time powers but felt like they designed powers and slapped "time" in the names. The final boss battle was also incredibly aggravating. Overall it was a pretty mediocre game

pretty much this

Kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the best games this gen on any console.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zirilius

Loved it and played through it twice to get all the trophies. The second play through had subtle but somewhat meaningful changes. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though as I also did the same thing for The Order: 1886.

I liked the time powers and combat and overall thought the story stuff was pretty fun. Shawn Ashmore did a fine job as Jack and while I the game was open ended enough to create a sequel. It was also closed off enough that I'd be fine with Remedy moving on.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yah Max Payne was great back in the day but Alan Wake was a slog of a game and after we started getting bits and pieces of what Quantum Break actually played like I think it was kind of obvious it would be similarly monotonous in gameplay.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great. People seem to put a lot of emphasis on remedys quirky/weird side (and I certainly like that side of their games myself), but personally I realized after playing QB that they also really excell at creating unique, stylish and innovative third person shooter gameplay. Max Payne, Alan Wake and QB all feel so different - from each other and from the rest of the genre. As much as I just wanted Alan Wake 2 before I played QB, I'm really glad they took on a new ip, because they really are making sure not to just copypaste the same gameplay formula from one game/setting to the next.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Quantum Break was weird. I really really liked it. In fact if it didn't come out in a year with so many awesome games it may have made the lower half of my top 10. Super flawed game, but one that I really ended up growing fond of.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ezekiel

I've decided to keep a kind of journal as I go through it.

1. Looks pretty. Runs badly. Have to lower everything to medium-low.
    2. Why can't I turn off the disgusting motion blur?
    3. The crouch is automatic. That's a boring way to do it. Why does he need to crouch all the time? He even crouches when he's behind a pillar, as if only the bottom part will protect him.
    4. The recoil is crazy bad.
    5. At least the controls and animations are responsive.
    6. Why do the bullets get fatter as they travel?
    7. Why can't I shoot without holding aim? I'm waiting to see what the shoot button does when you're not holding the right mouse button. Right now it doesn't do anything at all. I'm assuming there's no melee, since he has infinite pistol ammo.
    8. The story so far has been unintentionally funny, with all the ridiculous time stuff.
    9. The time mechanics make so little sense that it's hard to take them seriously even in sci-fi. And the story wants to be taken seriously? He can manipulate parts of the environment while the rest continues in normal time. How do those isolated areas not get torn out of existence, with the universe always moving?
    10. I can't believe the heavy pistol only has four bullets.
    11. The time powers could be fun, later.
    12. Why is the cast from The Wire here?
    13. Man, these cinematics are so frequent and LONG. Story seems to be going all over the place. What was the point of showing the henchman with his pregnant girlfriend/wife?
    14. Okay, I'm seeing now that he's gonna be an important character. But this long-ass show isn't that interesting. Also, why do the live action cutscenes auto-resume after I Alt + Tab back to the game? I miss part of them because the screen is still black for like two seconds.
    15. Lol, it's pretty obvious the fights are cut like this (chopped up) because the actors can't fight. Would have been easier as a CG cutscene.
    16. Oh great, an upgrade menu now. I'd rather be playing than looking at options. I was hoping this wasn't one of those games. But the AAA action games are ALL like that now.
    17. I thought this was a shooter. There's not enough action.
    18. It's funny that the characters keep talking to you even as you explore the environments. I'm in the train yard. I can't even hear the girl anymore, yet she's still talking.
    19. I bet this would look really pretty with high settings.
    20. I'm liking these time powers. The battle ones. But is this really hard more. I'm pretty sure I selected hard. Why is this easy?
    21. The exploration parts aren't gameplay. Pressing V to reveal the secret and then holding Q to fix the environment, in every situation, without any thought, isn't gameplay.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xanadu

I was disappointed. The t.v. show/game thing was an interesting idea but it didn't work out for me. The low budget really hurt it. I remember one scene was suppose to take place in some secret underground bunker for this tech company funding the time machine and the only thing in the set was a couple of laptops on a folding table. It looked real tacky.

Overall, the bad/hokey tv shows in Max Payne and Alan Wake were better than the real tv show in quantum break. Granted all of them were down right corny, but QB wasn't intended to be. Also I felt like the combat just missed the mark on having a good flow like Alan Wake. Don't mean to shit all over something you liked but as someone who loved remedy's past games, I expected more from Quantum Break.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it the combat far surpasses Alan Wake but the TV stuff really hurt the game those moments are such a waste just keep the story telling through cutscenes. Also the main character is to babyface for me I much rather prefer the original actor that they showed in the early stages of the game I hope this is not Remedy's last AAA game.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No, I did not.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By DinosaurCanada

I haven't played it yet but from everything I've seen I feel I'll like it way more than most would. The style just does something for me. Its pretty polarizing around these parts.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought about grabbing this at the last steam sale but then thought about the tv show part and realized the time investment involved. Probably get it when it's even cheaper one day, i used to like syfy stuff a lot so i would probably dig it.

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm at the final act* and I currently lack the push to complete the game. I like parts of it but it feels like it's the prequel to a bigger game.

*I only started it about three weeks ago, played most of it over a week.

PassiveSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably my least favorite Remedy game, but I still enjoyed it well enough.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Yeah I liked it a lot!

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always loved Remedy's quirkiness. They have an off-kilter sense of humor that I find endearing, and Quantum Break benefits from it. It's also just long enough that it ends before the "time" powers and shooting wear out their welcome. I liked it well enough. I can understand why some people might bounce off it, though. *shrug*

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I loved it, my second favorite game of that year. It actually ruined Uncharted for me because QB's third person action was so much more fun. When you're popping powers left and right, it felt entirely unique because you were pushed to get your ass out of cover.

The story stuff pulled me in, the production values were solid, and the gameplay was a ton of fun. Quantum Break was fucking awesome.

Elwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the story was really interessting the whole aspect of time ending was facinating, but some of the actors, and yeah the low budget scenery ruined it a bit for me, but in a Big Movie I think the story could be really amazing.

I like Remedy because no matter if their projects is a succes or not, at least they try to come up with something new, be it gameplay or the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.