Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Quantum Break

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Apr 05, 2016

A third-person shooter from the studio behind Max Payne and Alan Wake, with heavy time-travel and time-manipulation themes.

New(?) Quantum Break gif and concept art

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexGlass
    bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No doubt the only game im acking to play. Need my Next Gen Remedy Fix.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ooh, nice. I wonder how big this world is gonna be. Like if its gonna be open-world any like how Alan Wake 2 or something was supposed to be.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No doubt the only game im acking to play. Need my Next Gen Remedy Fix.

It was by far my most anticipated game at E3. We just know so little about it. I'm hoping the interactive cutscenes has some intuitive Kinect control like D4 is supposed to have. Would be interesting if it has controller based action shooter gameplay, mixed with D4-like Kinect controls for the mystery story/cutscene part of the game.

I'm hoping for something along those lines.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigjeffrey

Also my favorite snippet from the in engine E3 trailer. Hair could use some work but this a significant step up from Alan Wake which had terrible face animations and terrible teeth.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlexGlass

@bigjeffrey said:

Also my favorite snippet from the in engine E3 trailer. Hair could use some work but this a significant step up from Alan Wake which had terrible face animations and terrible teeth.

Well if Ryse is anything to go off of, I'm betting the skin, material shaders and lighting will be tweaked a lot from the E3 games so that could happen to QB as well. Seems like they were waiting on the more final API builds from MS because Ryse changed pretty dramatically. But yeah, animation is going to be top notch this gen.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By stubbleman

Oof, that dithering. I thought she was wearing some sort of weird band-aid on her cheek at first...

The actual game part looks great, though I see transparencies on hair still look kinda weird.

But the face. Yeah that face looks pretty damn good. I'm really looking forward to this next generation being the one where everything is animated with like, way more fidelity. Maybe Quantum Break will be for faces what Second Son is for fingers. Fingers crossed I guess.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

man i forgot this game even existed

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simply amazing, in a way I am even speechless.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bigjeffrey

Face

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man: They already know it's not new, it was a thread that complied everything know about the game so far. MS Studios Dude said more QB post Xone Launch.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@the_laughing_man: They already know it's not new, it was a thread that complied everything know about the game so far. MS Studios Dude said more QB post Xone Launch.

I did not go look. I stopped going when they had a 20 page thread about the X1 Tour bus being bad and a 2 page one about it being good was locked.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey said:

I did not go look. I stopped going when they had a 20 page thread about the X1 Tour bus being bad and a 2 page one about it being good was locked.

Oh the guy who started that thread is a total MS hater. I don't even bother reading discussions at GAF anymore. To this day they believe cloud compute is magic. The way I see it the only thing magical is the day when the first cloud enhanced X1 game pops up. Gaf will be a joy to read that day and the metldowns will be NeoGidiotic ;)

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lysergica33

This... Still tells me nothing. But, it's Remedy, and thus it will be amazing because motherfucking Sam Lake.

I'm totally not down with the XBone but I may consider getting one if this turns out good... Damn you Sam Lake.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This... Still tells me nothing. But, it's Remedy, and thus it will be amazing because motherfucking Sam Lake.

I'm totally not down with the XBone but I may consider getting one if this turns out good... Damn you Sam Lake.

Sam Lake always looks passionate as fuck, I fucking Love it

Loading Video...

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SlashDance

Please don't be a third person shooter.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why not? If anybody should be making one, it's Remedy. They pretty much perfected the genre, and expanded the concept with Alan Wake. If QB is anywhere near the level of detail and polish of those, it's gonna be great.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bigjeffrey

It's a 3rd Person Shooter, Like all the past Remedy games. except Death Rally

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This game looks visually stunning. I can't wait to see more of it.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: @greggd: I just hope there's more to it than that. I'd hate to see all that amazing performance capture being used only for cutscenes.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlexGlass

@slashdance said:

@bigjeffrey: @greggd: I just hope there's more to it than that. I'd hate to see all that amazing performance capture being used only for cutscenes.

I feel pretty confident in thinking this game will be very heavy on story and driven by the whole unraveling the time mystery scheme. I think those expecting Max Payne like action will be disappointed. If you consider the TV show aspects as well, it's clear they're going in a very different direction here.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#25  Edited By isomeri

The new hype is probably at least partially due to the increase in interest towards Finnish game development in the local media after Supercell got sold to a Japanese telecom for 1,1 billion euros earlier on in the week. With a lot of focus on mobile developers like Supercell and Rovio, people have sadly somewhat forgotten the "old powerhouses" of local game development like Remedy and Housemarque.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hope this comes to other consoles and PC like Alan Wake did. It's probably a time exclusive only, right?
    I love Remedy games...

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bigjeffrey

@choi said:

Hope this comes to other consoles and PC like Alan Wake did. It's probably a time exclusive only, right?

I love Remedy games...

Microsoft owns the ip. Remedy (Who owns Alan WakeIP) was very kind in literally giving out Alan Wake for nothing, i dont think MS will put this on on PC, ms ain't know for putting their high budget titles on PC. But who knows maybe Remedy will convince them.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice itll be a cool one to wait for the PC version of.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier said:

nice itll be a cool one to wait for the PC version of.

No Caption Provided

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is there some kind of joke like 'give a dog an xbone' or something here

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it wasn't for the tie-in show thing, I'd be interested in this.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Man, I almost forgot about this. Alongside Ryse, this game looks to be the most graphically impressive piece of work coming from next-gen thus far. I adored Alan Wake, cannot wait to see more of Quantum Break in the upcoming months.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

This is the only game that makes me want to get a Xbox 1.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this thing looks compelling. PC?

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slashdance said:

I feel pretty confident in thinking this game will be very heavy on story and driven by the whole unraveling the time mystery scheme. I think those expecting Max Payne like action will be disappointed. If you consider the TV show aspects as well, it's clear they're going in a very different direction here.

Regardless of how the TV integration works, this game looks fantastic nonetheless and Remedy's work is always top notch.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

@slashdance said:

Why not? If anybody should be making one, it's Remedy. They pretty much perfected the genre, and expanded the concept with Alan Wake. If QB is anywhere near the level of detail and polish of those, it's gonna be great.

...Whut?

The most interesting parts of Alan Wake to me weren't the third person shooting parts. I really liked the atmosphere it created and the way it told it's story. The light to dark mechanics were also a cool idea and parts of that game looked fantastic.

Being selfish I hope this doesn't come out until this time next year if not further down the line. Then I can reasonably see myself getting an XB1 for it. Something Remedy or possibly Halo 5 (jeez, that number is crazy to think about) would get me to buy an XB1.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...Whut?

The most interesting parts of Alan Wake to me weren't the third person shooting parts. I really liked the atmosphere it created and the way it told it's story. The light to dark mechanics were also a cool idea and parts of that game looked fantastic.

Being selfish I hope this doesn't come out until this time next year if not further down the line. Then I can reasonably see myself getting an XB1 for it. Something Remedy or possibly Halo 5 (jeez, that number is crazy to think about) would get me to buy an XB1.

I think he was attempting to reference their work on Max Payne and the third-person genre in general, rather than the shooter aspects itself. Max Payne established some pioneering ground-work in regards to the ever-popular "slow-mo" and third person shooting mechanics while Alan Wake expertly expanded on more integrated and personal stories without exterior elements tossed in via the dark. It all mixed in together to make a brilliant psychological and tense thriller.

If anything, Remedy are perfectly adept at crafting both a third person shooter to boast about on top of a brilliant narrative experience.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#38  Edited By isomeri

Not at launch, but probably at some point just like with Alan Wake. I'm not sure though how they'd be able to pull off the ties with the TV-show on the PC the same way as on the Xbox One.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RazielCuts

@deranged said:

@razielcuts said:

...Whut?

I think he was attempting to reference their work on Max Payne and the third-person genre in general, rather than the shooter aspects itself. Max Payne established some pioneering ground-work in regards to the ever-popular "slow-mo" and third person shooting mechanics while Alan Wake expertly expanded on more integrated and personal stories without exterior elements tossed in via the dark. It all mixed in together to make a brilliant psychological and tense thriller.

If anything, Remedy are perfectly adept at crafting both a third person shooter to boast about on top of a brilliant narrative experience.

But to me the original Max Payne's weren't nimble, slick twitch based shooters either. They were trial and error almost puzzle shooters. Slow mo jump into a room, okay theres going to be 2 guys to the right, 1 behind the bar, shoot them, then theres going to be a guy behind the door who will throw a grenade, backwards roll out of there, exit slow mo, go around the corner and jump into slow mo and shoot the guy around the corner. Possibly die. Then try again or if successful, move on to the next stage. You were pretty fragile in those games so you needed the slow mo to aim, survey the environment and have time to react to all the bullets flying everywhere. It didn't hurt it was also pretty bad ass and tied into the hard boiled noir setting. If you didn't have the slow mo that game would've been a nightmare to control.

Again, like Alan Wake, what defined that game to me was the mood, setting and story. The gunplay was fine, even good at times but I wouldn't say Remedy are especially adept at making third person shooters, middling at best. What excites me most about Quantum Break is what twisted, bat shit crazy yarn they will tell.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spraynardtatum
    @isomeri said:

@spraynardtatum said:

Not at launch, but probably at some point just like with Alan Wake. I'm not sure though how they'd be able to pull off the ties with the TV-show on the PC the same way as on the Xbox One.

Good point. I wonder if they'd have to create a "Quantum Login" that would keep track of your progression and then you could stream the TV-show on a "Quantum-Link". To be honest I don't know how it works on Xbox One. Have they shown how they work together?

It could just be that the TV stuff are long cut scenes.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Deranged

But to me the original Max Payne's weren't nimble, slick twitch based shooters either. They were trial and error almost puzzle shooters. Slow mo jump into a room, okay theres going to be 2 guys to the right, 1 behind the bar, shoot them, then theres going to be a guy behind the door who will throw a grenade, backwards roll out of there, exit slow mo, go around the corner and jump into slow mo and shoot the guy around the corner. Possibly die. Then try again or if successful, move on to the next stage. You were pretty fragile in those games so you needed the slow mo to aim, survey the environment and have time to react to all the bullets flying everywhere. It didn't hurt it was also pretty bad ass and tied into the hard boiled noir setting. If you didn't have the slow mo that game would've been a nightmare to control.

Again, like Alan Wake, what defined that game to me was the mood, setting and story. The gunplay was fine, even good at times but I wouldn't say Remedy are especially adept at making third person shooters, middling at best. What excites me most about Quantum Break is what twisted, bat shit crazy yarn they will tell.

In comparison to what? Modern shooters? Yeah, I completely agree but looking back at games around the same time at the beginning of the PS2/Xbox era, third person shooters weren't as generally received as they are today and by those standards, Max Payne was well regarded for its controls. I mean, look at the competition it had back in the day. There wasn't much of anything substantial and if compared to GTA as a shooter, it excelled IMO.

But I do agree with you, Alan Wake succeeded not with its gameplay but with the setting and atmosphere it chose. Even then, I feel like it controlled far better than even GTA V does to this point. While improving over IV, it still feels like a sluggish mess and feels largely unresponsive. Odd that Rockstar would go and make Max Payne 3 handle so well and then revert to back a brick with GTA V.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GreggD

@greggd said:

@slashdance said:

...Whut?

The implication there was that they perfected the genre with the Max Payne games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.