Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Can you give me some tips on horses?

FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

Apologies if this is answered somewhere but I've searched around and haven't been able to find anything. I'm wanting to know if there is a way to tell when you have a good horse. From what I understand, each territory has a rare horse type that you can tame. After doing the horse breaking quest for Bonnie where she gives you your first horse there was a popup that said something along the lines of "Your horse is rare/fast/agile/badass." I think it was called a Kentucky Saddler, but I could be wrong.

I kept that horse all through the first territory and into Mexico and it always seemed like a pretty solid horse. Then I did one of the horse breaking side missions in Mexico and my horse (the one that responds to the whistle) changed from the badass Kentucky Saddler to the crappy horse I broke in for the mission. Since then I've been breaking wild horses trying to find the next equivalent of the rare Saddler, but I can't find any where in the game where it tells me what kind of horse I'm on or what the quality of said horse is. I'm assuming if I found the rare Mexico horse I'd get another of those popups like I did when I first got on the Saddler, but I could be wrong.

Any tips on taming quality horses? I haven't beaten the game yet so please keep replies clear of plot spoilers. Thanks!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

You will not get a pop up. But I can tell you WHERE to get a nice horse.  

Any of these three are great  

And a bit about each 

American Standardbred  
    Kentucky Saddler *Which you get from bonnie* 
     Hungarian Half-bred (Which is needed for the "Heading South on a white Bronco" Trophy/Achivment" )

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

compare the horse you have to the descriptions at shops

FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

Awesome, thank you

Avatar image for kevinthedeviant
    KevinTheDeviant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By KevinTheDeviant

Yeah, like the pages linked to above say, those are the three best horses in the game. The jet black horse, or "American Standardbred" is the fastest, yet most vulnerable to damage. The white horse with the black nose, or "Hungarian Half-bred" is the least vulnerable to damage of the three, but it's the slowest of the three, as well. Then there's that palomino called the "Kentucky Saddler", the one you got in that early Bonnie MacFarlane mission. It's not as fast as the first or as strong as the second, but a well-rounded mixture of the two. Thing is, horses die pretty easily, no matter what. Just buy a deed to your favorite of the bunch and you won't have to worry about its health. (Mine's the Saddler.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.