Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Help with Horses?

SilverBulletKY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SilverBulletKY

How do they work?  I have the same one I started out with or so I think.  I know you can buy more expensive ones in the stores or tame them in the wild but how do you know which ones are faster or have more stamina?  Also how do you keep these new horses without losing them?  Hitching them to a post?  Can you have more than one?

Also with loyalty or whatever it's called with your bond with the horse.  When I first started riding it gave me a message that I was building loyalty or something like that with the horse.  How can you check what this is?  I've never seen anything more about it since that first message.

Thanks.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

In the stores it states how fast they are. 

Hitch a horse to a post to keep it safe.  

You can have ONE horse. 

As for bonding. It only shows that message once. After that you can tell if you are bonded by the blue meter on the bottom left. At first a small section will not be filled. Once you bond that section WILL be filled. 

SilverBulletKY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SilverBulletKY
    @The_Laughing_Man:  Thanks.. so how about the horses that you can tame in the wild?  Do you ever really know how they rank with speed?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SilverBulletKY said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  Thanks.. so how about the horses that you can tame in the wild?  Do you ever really know how they rank with speed? "
    By color mostly. Other wise I have no clue about their stats. 
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Sin4profit

check the deeds in the general store with the Y button...all the horses in the wild are listed with a deed...you can't buy the deed unless you've tamed that horse. if you want to keep a particular horse you like then you can buy the deed for that horse and "use" it anytime you like. That horse then becomes the horse you whistle for.

SilverBulletKY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SilverBulletKY
    @Sin4profit:   Oh that makes sense.  So you can 'use' the deed anytime you want to whistle for that horse? 
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#7  Edited By Sin4profit

So far that's what it seems, I have a deed for a black standard American bred horse that i keep using. If yer horse dies you'll get a random horse when you whistle but all you have to do is use the deed in yer inventory and whistle to get that horse again.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By mordecaix7
    @Sin4profit said:
    " So far that's what it seems, I have a deed for a black standard American bred horse that i keep using. If yer horse dies you'll get a random horse when you whistle but all you have to do is use the deed in yer inventory and whistle to get that horse again. "
    That's awesome; I thought they were one-time purchases.  I propose a question then:  There's an achievement for using the same horse for 20 missions without hitching a new one.  So if my horse dies because some cougar was hungry, and I use the deed to whistle for the same horse type I was using, can I still unlock this achievement?  Or does it have to be the same exact horse for 20 missions?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

once my stallion hit the yellow color and became super, a cougar took his life in one snatch. 

I was having some good challenge progress so i got over the stallion :(

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @SilverBulletKY said:

" How do they work? "

No Caption Provided

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jimbo
    1. Lasso and break a wild horse.
    2. The deed for that type of horse appears at the general store.
    3. Buy the deed for the horse you want.
    4. Use the deed from the inventory to select that as your active horse.

Once you have bought the deed you can use it as many times as you like, so you can switch between horses at will, or regen your horse if it dies.  The black horse felt like the fastest to me, though it has the same speed rank as the white horse and gold horse.  You can check the rank on the deeds at the general store.  I never lost a horse due to not hitching it, but I lost a few to cougars and I accidentally shot one in the back of the head when I was being chased by wolves.

Pro-Tip:  Breaking a horse out in the wild automatically saves the game.  This can be handy if you're about to do something risky and want a free save without any time passing.
    SilverBulletKY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SilverBulletKY

In the store I have a bunch of deeds that I can buy and a couple that aren't available for whatever reason.  (I figured it was due to me not having tamed them yet)  I have been taming every horse I see and every time it gives me the message 'New items available for purchase'  and it appears that store has more deeds for sale the next time I'm there.

The only bad part about this system is that I have no idea which horses I already have tamed and which I haven't.  It would be nice if we knew which ones we should tame whenever we see them running around in the wild.

DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DaemonicGrim

if you press y (or triangle) to check the info on the deed in the shop it will tell you the colour of the horse. That should tell you which ones you still need to tame. really I only aimed for the top 3 and picked up others out of boredom or during missions/jobs where breaking was the aim anyway.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By mosdl

As someone who just started the game - are the horse differences big enough to make it worth figuring all that out?

Prime200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Prime200
    @mosdl: Just go after the Big 3, The American Standard (black one), The Kentucky Saddler (yellowish) and the Hungarian Half Bred (pale white/grey)  
    The rest are all the same but these 3 no only get you an achievement for breaking them but their also the fastest and strongest.  The Kentucky Saddler you get during one of the earlier missions for the McFarlans, the Hungarian Half Bred and the American Standard can be found in Diez Coronas in Mexico or in the Great Plains south of Breechers Hope.
    mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mugugipan
    @SilverBulletKY said:
    " How do they work?  I have the same one I started out with or so I think.  I know you can buy more expensive ones in the stores or tame them in the wild but how do you know which ones are faster or have more stamina?  Also how do you keep these new horses without losing them?  Hitching them to a post?  Can you have more than one?  Also with loyalty or whatever it's called with your bond with the horse.  When I first started riding it gave me a message that I was building loyalty or something like that with the horse.  How can you check what this is?  I've never seen anything more about it since that first message.  Thanks. "

Its relatively simple, if its pretty it runs fast. The slightly golden (called pearl white) horse and pure black horse are the fastest horses. You can only buy the horses that you have caught. One more thing be careful around other animals because they will kill them.
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " In the stores it states how fast they are.  Hitch a horse to a post to keep it safe.   You can have ONE horse.  As for bonding. It only shows that message once. After that you can tell if you are bonded by the blue meter on the bottom left. At first a small section will not be filled. Once you bond that section WILL be filled.  "
    Exactly but you should have got a message that states you built maximum bond with your horse. Also, there is a small glitch where sometimes your horse will disappear and your previous horse will spawn when you call it.
    orionssecrets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By orionssecrets

I need some help taming the wild horses. I've been working on this mission for hours. I can't seem to get when and what direction I move the left stick when trying to tame the horses. Please Help.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @orionssecrets said:
    " I need some help taming the wild horses. I've been working on this mission for hours. I can't seem to get when and what direction I move the left stick when trying to tame the horses. Please Help. "
    You tilt it away from the way he is leaning. 
    orionssecrets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By orionssecrets
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    the whole time or at specific times. Sorry, Im tired of this mission now 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @orionssecrets said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: the whole time or at specific times. Sorry, Im tired of this mission now  "
    When he leans right you tilt the stick left. He leans left you tilt the stick right. You need to make constant adjustments. 
    evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By evanbrau

Breaking horses sucks and herding horses sucks. Thank god you don't have to do it often at all. Also thank you for all the info, tried to hop on a black horse I seen, turns out it belonged to some 

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Virago

Shoot them in the face.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " Hitch a horse to a post to keep it safe.  "
    I've never done that and I've had the same horse since half-way in the story (I've completed it). Just whistle. And if it dies, use the horse deed (if you've got one) to instantly replace it.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rjaylee

You have to keep the same horse for the 20 missions. Just FYI, here's the breakdown for the achievement, which contains a very mild spoiler as I have to reference a couple points in the storyline: 

1) The missions have to be the storyline missions.
    Things like bounty missions, saving random people, treasure hunting, etc. do not count towards the 20 missions.

Extra tip: 

I personally 'started' the achievement when Bonnie lets you keep the Kentucky Saddler (the golden-colored stallion you chase and wrangle). I hitched him immediately to a post, saved my game, then kept him all the way to the mission where you go into Mexico with Irish. After we finished crossing the river, the achievement popped.

2) Whenever you hitch a horse, the game saves that horse to your playthrough. 
    This means the game should not penalize you for jumping onto other horses that you may encounter, as long as you do not hitch them. This can often be confusing, so play it safe and hitch one horse very early in the game, then never hitch a horse to any hitching post ever again until the achievement pops, even if you just wanted to "park" my horse.  

When you need to get off your horse and run around to do things, calling him back with UP on the D-pad will safely call back to same horse, assuming it doesn't run off a cliff or into the water or get shot and killed when you call it. 

For missions where you need to break a horse, just make sure you don't hitch the horse you just broke. I don't believe I ever needed to hitch a horse during a mission anyways. Stay away from breaking horses in the wild when you're not in a mission as well. I also stayed away from all horse-breaking jobs, but I doubt that was really necessary. 

3) Don't let your horse die. 

If your horse dies, you have to reload a previous save and calling a new horse via UP on the D-pad or by using a horse deed in your inventory will not count as the same exact horse for the achievement. 

Hope this helps, let me know if I missed anything.        
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rjaylee
    @mordecaix7:
    Just FYI. Read the post above.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.