Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Midnight Release madness?

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By pbhawks45

Okay, the Gamestop (I know, but the closest Best Buy is an hour away) I pre-ordered from is selling this at midnight. 

I called to ask what time I should get there to get the game, and they said 11:30. They said there's going to be a bunch of people, so they said the earlier, the better.

But I really don't feel like waiting 30 minutes before the damn event. If I just show up at 12:15 or 12:20, will I be there until 1:00 or something? Are they just saying to get there for more hype? I've been to the Modern Warfare 2 launch at midnight, but that's it. For people who usually do this sort of thing, what's the best plan of action?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @pbhawks45 said:
    " Okay, the Gamestop (I know, but the closest Best Buy is an hour away) I pre-ordered from is selling this at midnight.    I called to ask what time I should get there to get the game, and they said 11:30. They said there's going to be a bunch of people, so they said the earlier, the better.  But I really don't feel like waiting 30 minutes before the damn event. If I just show up at 12:15 or 12:20, will I be there until 1:00 or something? Are they just saying to get there for more hype? I've been to the Modern Warfare 2 launch at midnight, but that's it. For people who usually do this sort of thing, what's the best plan of action? "
    The only midnight release that even sounds like that was my MW2 one. I do not really think to many people will show up at midnight. 
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By FunExplosions

Throw a badge around your neck, dress nicely, give everyone the stink-eye, then wade through the crowd like you own Rockstar.

korsair_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By korsair_13

As much as this game looks fucking awesome and has great reviews already, I doubt that there will be much of a fervor for it. My impression is that the hype will not equate to immediate sales. While I doubt it will become a forgotten classic, I think that there will be limited buying at the start, regardless of the fact that it is a Rockstar open world game. I say go at midnight and see how it is. It will probably be fine.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

I went to the GH3 midnight launch and it was fairly calm. Maybe like 20 people there. Then again i live out in the suburbs so it's not like im in New York City or LA or anything.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I can't go to mine because of stupid finals.

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Brockly46

went to the halo launch and there was about 50 people but he gamestop guys were really fast about checking out people so it went fine

Bindings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bindings1

back when halo 2 had the midnight release it was the first ever Gamestop midnight launch in history. It was so unorganized and I did not get home till about 4 AM. I was working the event but still. Now a line huge line takes maybe 15 min. they have it down to a science now.

Dynamitekyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dynamitekyle
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " I went to the GH3 midnight launch and it was fairly calm. Maybe like 20 people there. Then again i live out in the suburbs so it's not like im in New York City or LA or anything. "
    I also went to the GH3 midnight launch. Also about 20-25 people there. If this game's midnight launch is like that at all, be prepared for a more.... colorful crowd.
    DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By DukesT3
    @Bindings1 said:
    " back when halo 2 had the midnight release it was the first ever Gamestop midnight launch in history. It was so unorganized and I did not get home till about 4 AM. I was working the event but still. Now a line huge line takes maybe 15 min. they have it down to a science now. "
    Yep. Clearly remember my halo 2 midnight launch at a gamestop in my mall. I think I was... the third to last? So yea.. I was there until about 3am or so. Fuckin sucked.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Dynamitekyle said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " I went to the GH3 midnight launch and it was fairly calm. Maybe like 20 people there. Then again i live out in the suburbs so it's not like im in New York City or LA or anything. "
    I also went to the GH3 midnight launch. Also about 20-25 people there. If this game's midnight launch is like that at all, be prepared for a more.... colorful crowd. "
    Oh yes. There was a guy that dressed up like Slash with the hat and a wig and everything. I hope there aren't any cowboys at this one, I really really do. Although if there is, I'll take a picture and show you guys tomorrow.  :P
    BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BRNK

On MW2 launch night the dudes at my local Gamespot tore through a line of at least 100 people in about 25 minutes. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you; granted for MW2 most people paid in full ahead of time and just showed their receipt, so it went super fast.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DystopiaX

Doubt it. It's not like a console release where people line up 12 hours before to make sure they get one; there's not going to be that many people there.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By FesteringNeon

I already bought and payed for mine, so I just need to show ID. 
    For GTAIV they made a 360 line and a PS3 line, and luckily us PS3 owners were few and far between. Took 10 mins.  

Hopefully thus is the case tonight. I'm showing at 11:45 though.. Nothing I can't handle : D
    Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Ravenousrattler

i hope its a small crowd tonight, i don't wanna wait in line to long

SlayingShogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SlayingShogun

does anyone know if gamestop will have those playing cards? I'd love to get those.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17  Edited By spiceninja

I went to the Fable 2 midnight launch. I got there at 11pm because I didn't know they wouldn't open the doors until the stroke of midnight. It was fairly crowded but I got in and out rather quickly.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By pbhawks45

HILARIOUS UPDATE: Got there around 11:55, and there was about 80 people in line. Thought I was fucked. But, those suckers in line already paid for the game, so they were all given the game as soon as they walked in. That took about 5 minutes. I got my game about three minutes after.

Instead of waiting for an hour, I waited for 10 minutes. I win!

BEAR KILLING TIME, SEE YA NEXT MONTH.

Double UPDATE: Holy shit, awesome map included with the manual!

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DystopiaX
    @SlayingShogun said:
    " does anyone know if gamestop will have those playing cards? I'd love to get those. "
    I think it's just Best Buy.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Dynamitekyle said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    I also went to the GH3 midnight launch. Also about 20-25 people there. If this game's midnight launch is like that at all, be prepared for a more.... colorful crowd. "
    Oh yes. There was a guy that dressed up like Slash with the hat and a wig and everything. I hope there aren't any cowboys at this one, I really really do. Although if there is, I'll take a picture and show you guys tomorrow.  :P "
    Dudes! There was TOTALLY a guy there with a cowboy hat! But I was too close to him to take a picture with my loud ass camera phone! My bad!!! Awesome stuff though.  :P
    Dynamitekyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dynamitekyle
    @JJWeatherman:  Niiiiice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.