Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

PS3 or 360?

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RedneckedCrake

I'm going to buy the game, but not sure which console to get it for. Any thoughts?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By vitor

If you're going to be playing online with friends, then choose whatever system has your buddies on. 

If singleplayer is more your thing:  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-red-dead-redemption-face-off 

360 version runs at a higher resolution, has better lighting and shadows and way more foliage (something that I feel actually heavily impacts the atmosphere of the game).

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Evilsbane

If you have both go with the 360

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FunExplosions

Xbox has a little more foliage and less pop-in on shadows. A lot of textures look a little sharper on the 360, as well.

PS3 has shorter load times. If you plan on playing lots of multiplayer, then you might wanna go PS3.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Dustpan
    @RiotBananas said:
    " @FunExplosions said:
    " Xbox has a little more foliage and less pop-in on shadows. A lot of textures look a little sharper on the 360, as well. PS3 has shorter load times. If you plan on playing lots of multiplayer, then you might wanna go PS3. "
    Except PSN sucks. "
    Yup.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By hockeymask27
    @Vitor said:
    " If you're going to be playing online with friends, then choose whatever system has your buddies on. 

If singleplayer is more your thing:  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-red-dead-redemption-face-off  360 version runs at a higher resolution, has better lighting and shadows and way more foliage (something that I feel actually heavily impacts the atmosphere of the game). "
    This. Unless there a major difference in game, Like bayonetta the answer to the which system question. Is the one your friends play on.
    Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spoonybard37

In my opinion I'd recommend the 360 version if you have both consoles.

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RedneckedCrake

OK, thanks everyone who helped me decide.  I decided to go with the 360 version because of the slightly better appearance. That's sort of strange because in my experience, PS3 always had a little edge over 360 in terms of textures. Could just be what is aesthetically pleasing to me though.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Vitor said:

" If you're going to be playing online with friends, then choose whatever system has your buddies on. 

If singleplayer is more your thing:  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-red-dead-redemption-face-off  360 version runs at a higher resolution, has better lighting and shadows and way more foliage (something that I feel actually heavily impacts the atmosphere of the game). "

its a shame because we all know the ps3 is more than capable of out performing the 360. 360 wins this one, but one barely noticeable.  

buy whatever system you play on more often.  
    watching that video did very little for me, only in a few instances i could tell any difference. 
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vitor
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @Vitor said:

its a shame because we all know the ps3 is more than capable of out performing the 360. 360 wins this one, but one barely noticeable.   buy whatever system you play on more often.  watching that video did very little for me, only in a few instances i could tell any difference.  "
    The screenshots show a pretty big difference when you blow them up to full size - if you're just watching the vid in the normal window, you won't see much. Look at the grass on the ground and considering how big a part of the game that is (you'll b riding through A LOT of open country), having less vegetation is a massive setback I feel.

And yeah, while the PS3 is a more powerful system, the fact remains that MS deals primarily in software and Sony hardware, and it really shows in their products with the 360 being easier to programme for and make the most of while the PS3 is a more interesting piece of tech yet also provides a massive barrier for development due to an architecture that doesn't conform to what most devs are used to.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DanielJW

Let's not be too hasty to recommend the PS3. I hear it has less foliage and ground vegetation. 

Sorry to drop that truth bomb on you, but it's kind of a big deal.

KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By KingX
    @DanielJW said:

" Let's not be too hasty to recommend the PS3. I hear it has less foliage and ground vegetation.  Sorry to drop that truth bomb on you, but it's kind of a big deal. "

They are not really recommending the PS3 version in here, so no harm done there. 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

Whichever your friends are playing it on. If you're seriously going to base your choice over which has more leaves...then DEATH TO YOU!

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DanielJW
    @Abyssfull said:
    " Whichever your friends are playing it on. If you're seriously going to base your choice over which has more leaves...then DEATH TO YOU! "
    Stop trying to detract from the importance of shrubbery! Those six tumbleweeds are key in creating the most compelling immersion. 
    ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @RedneckedCrake said:
    " I'm going to buy the game, but not sure which console to get it for. Any thoughts? "
    Based on some of the reviews, the game is better on the 360 since it doesn't have some of the graphical and performance problems.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee
    @DanielJW said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " Whichever your friends are playing it on. If you're seriously going to base your choice over which has more leaves...then DEATH TO YOU! "
    Stop trying to detract from the importance of shrubbery! Those six tumbleweeds are key in creating the most compelling immersion.  "
    Your logic is infallible!!
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DanielJW
    @Abyssfull: Thank you. I have a degree.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Hockeymask27 said:
    " @Vitor said:

This. Unless there a major difference in game, Like bayonetta the answer to the which system question. Is the one your friends play on. "
    Yeah, from what my friends have told me they've had ridiculous difficulty getting into games on PS3, but other than the first few days I've had no problems on my 360. I blame PSN.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yummylee
    @DanielJW said:
    " @Abyssfull: Thank you. I have a degree. "
    For some unexplainable reason, I imagined you saying ''Thank you'' in Stens voice from Dragon Age. Again...the reason why can't be explained.
    Masteruub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Masteruub

360, its better graphics and way! more people have it for the 360, so that means u have more people to play with on multiplayer mode, but if ur looking for just being bored almost completely alone on multiplayer or free roam and looking at not as greate graphics for a hole game, get it for the ps3, but if u want to have as much fun as u should for this awesome game, get if for the 360 :)

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The RDR shrubbery debate reminds me of the 2,000,000 post thread on Neogaf about how Alan Wake isn't "really" in 720p. People who count pixels should die in a fire, and make way for people who care about important things in gaming.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ISuperGamerI
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @DanielJW said:
    " @Abyssfull: Thank you. I have a degree. "
    For some unexplainable reason, I imagined you saying ''Thank you'' in Stens voice from Dragon Age. Again...the reason why can't be explained. "
    Too much Dragon Age man lol.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Masteruub said:
    " 360, its better graphics and way! more people have it for the 360, so that means u have more people to play with on multiplayer mode, but if ur looking for just being bored almost completely alone on multiplayer or free roam and looking at not as greate graphics for a hole game, get it for the ps3, but if u want to have as much fun as u should for this awesome game, get if for the 360 :) "
    more people to play with online? dude.., have you ever played ps3 online before?
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uniform

I chose 360. My decision was based on the Lens of Truth article. It goes a little beyond extra foliage. The 360 version just looks better on all fronts, with the negative being load times.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @RedneckedCrake said:
    " I'm going to buy the game, but not sure which console to get it for. Any thoughts? "
    If you're a true knight of Ni, wait for the PC version.
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By RichardLOlson

360 version all the way.  Red Dead Redemption is the game of 2010.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Quacktastic
    The 360 version is unanimously the better one, both look great though.

@owl_of_minerva said:
    " The RDR shrubbery debate reminds me of the 2,000,000 post thread on Neogaf about how Alan Wake isn't "really" in 720p. People who count pixels should die in a fire, and make way for people who care about important things in gaming. "
    The frame and pixel counters at gaf are getting kind of ridiculous.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

"O Knights of Ni, you are just and fair, and we will return with a shrubbery."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.