Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

So... is the game over? *SPOILERS*

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Well, it now has me playing as all-grown-up Jack, and uh... what now? Is the game over? I mean, I assume it's over and it just lets you play as Jack as an excuse to free roam is you want to, but I'm not positive. 

On a side note, I would love to play as Jack in the next Red Dead game.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Death_Unicorn

You have one more side mission, it's not over until the credits roll.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Go do the remember my family thing in blackwater

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingclaw

Train station in blackwater

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Ah, I'll do that now. That was... unexplained.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Gav47
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " Ah, I'll do that now. That was... unexplained. "
    I think your meant to be hell bent on killing Ross after that smug smile he pulls at the end, I know it was the first thing I wanted to do.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jonnyboy
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    "Ah, I'll do that now. That was... unexplained."
    A recurring theme of that game is it's lack of feedback and general information given to the player. You are not alone in having to ask someone how to finish it. Hell, I had to go through the manual just to figure out how to get into a game of team deathmatch. It's not the most annoying thing about that game, but it's on the list.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Gav47 said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " Ah, I'll do that now. That was... unexplained. "
    I think your meant to be hell bent on killing Ross after that smug smile he pulls at the end, I know it was the first thing I wanted to do. "
    Yeah, me too. They made the last mission a side quest and didn't have a mark telling you where to go, so that's why I asked. It's not because I didn't understand the story. 

Yes, now I want to play as Jack in the next Red Dead game X2!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    "...it's not over until the credits roll. "
    This. 

I like how they play that off.  It actually got me a little pissed off, like "man, I want revenge, muthafuckers!" and started searching the world. 

However, I had also watched a video on the Xbox dashboard about some achievements, and they specifically said "the game's not over until the credits roll".
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I just saw a new (?) in Blackwater and went to check it out.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @jonnyboy said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    A recurring theme of that game is it's lack of feedback and general information given to the player. You are not alone in having to ask someone how to finish it. Hell, I had to go through the manual just to figure out how to get into a game of team deathmatch. It's not the most annoying thing about that game, but it's on the list. "
    no, its fucking awesome that they dont tell you shit at the end and have you go  :

@jakob187 said:
    "  "man, I want revenge, muthafuckers!"  "

It makes you stumble upon the blackwater side mission by chance, which is SO satisfying..
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Rhaknar

oh theres a mission in blackwater for Jack? I did not know that since the map didnt show any "quest letter"

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Cwaff

I miss John... Jack isn't quite as cool.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @Rhaknar said:
    " oh theres a mission in blackwater for Jack? I did not know that since the map didnt show any "quest letter" "
    yes, go get it! 

i guess what R* intended to do with not even saying anything about the side mission is that after all that has happened, they leave it to the players on what they want to do.  It's like you've lived John Marston's life the whole game, and now with Jack, you start your own.  Imagine yourself as Jack, and as soon as you're brought back to that world looking at the grave of your parents, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?  If you go hunting and skinning animals, it's cool coz you hear Jack say "Just like taught me dad" or something like that.  You can contemplate and live like John again.  Or don't do anything & it's like not actually minding what happened.  But the usual tendency for players is... 

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By sopranosfan

I guess i haven't beaten the game either.  I thought I was done when I became Jack and there were no sure signs on the map as well.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @lilbigsupermario said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    " oh theres a mission in blackwater for Jack? I did not know that since the map didnt show any "quest letter" "
    yes, go get it! 

i guess what R* intended to do with not even saying anything about the side mission is that after all that has happened, they leave it to the players on what they want to do.  It's like you've lived John Marston's life the whole game, and now with Jack, you start your own.  Imagine yourself as Jack, and as soon as you're brought back to that world looking at the grave of your parents, what is the first thing that comes to your mind?  If you go hunting and skinning animals, it's cool coz you hear Jack say "Just like taught me dad" or something like that.  You can contemplate and live like John again.  Or don't do anything & it's like not actually minding what happened.  But the usual tendency for players is... 

"
    Ohhhhhh, I get it now... I mean, it's a really cool concept, amazing actually, but it doesn't translate well into a video game. The FIRST thing I did was bring up my map, look at Blackwater to see if Ross was there, and then I was like, "Oh, no quest letter... I really wanted to kill that dude."
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By jakob187
    @lilbigsupermario: Man, killing his wife and brother were super satisfying.  I really wish, however, that I could've tied up Ross' wife, threw her on a horse, then brought her down to the shore and made Ross watch me kill her and his brother. 

I also agree with any previous statements about Jack not being as cool as John.  I wish there was an option to play as John still, but oh well.  Jack is still kind of a whiny little bitch when he's grown up.  Moreover, that is one of the most grown-up-looking 15 to 16 year olds I've ever seen!
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox

Dude what? I don't remember coming across Ross's family.

lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @AlwaysAngry: LOL!  I understand what you went through coz I almost went there as well.  When Jack came up, I also checked the map and just thought what the hell? that's it??? haha! But I wasn't sure so I roamed around and I actually went to Blackwater originally to get the US Army costume LOL!  Then the "?" came up and I immediately went there for the side quest hehe!  So I guess, the costume too is also one purpose for you to go to Blackwater and sort of allow you to see the Remember My Family quest hehe! 

And yeah, you're right, it's not really very effective and players do tend to miss that last part, which means it's somewhat a design flaw of the game.  Usually games give you an obvious hint or something to at least lead you to that direction hehe!  They could've put fireworks in the sky above Blackwater that can be seen from John's farm so that players can see those fireworks and lead them to go to Blackwater hehe!  (If there were already fireworks during that time...)
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @jakob187 said:
    " @lilbigsupermario: Man, killing his wife and brother were super satisfying.  I really wish, however, that I could've tied up Ross' wife, threw her on a horse, then brought her down to the shore and made Ross watch me kill her and his brother.  I also agree with any previous statements about Jack not being as cool as John.  I wish there was an option to play as John still, but oh well.  Jack is still kind of a whiny little bitch when he's grown up.  Moreover, that is one of the most grown-up-looking 15 to 16 year olds I've ever seen! "
    Duuuuude... I didn't harm his wife or brother. They didn't do anything!
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @jonnyboy said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    A recurring theme of that game is it's lack of feedback and general information given to the player. You are not alone in having to ask someone how to finish it. Hell, I had to go through the manual just to figure out how to get into a game of team deathmatch. It's not the most annoying thing about that game, but it's on the list. "
    Quite frankly, I like that fact since my first thought was to get revenge and I found myself just riding into the train station at blackwater. You know, like as if you have to use your brain in this game. 
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @MrKlorox said:
    " Dude what? I don't remember coming across Ross's family. "
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox
    @lilbigsupermario said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    "
    Wow. I must have been asleep between the time I stood up from John's grave and found Ross fishing in Mexico. I can't remember any of that.
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @lilbigsupermario said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    "
    Wow. I must have been asleep between the time I stood up from John's grave and found Ross fishing in Mexico. I can't remember any of that. "
    LOL! or maybe you skipped the conversations? haha!
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By jonnyboy
    @StaticFalconar: My problem is in it's inconsistency. Most of the time you are being patronisingly spoon-fed through the game, but then in particular spots you're left with just guess work. I'd love to think that it was done on purpose, but to be honest I doubt it.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @jonnyboy: So at first you said : 

" @jonnyboy said: 
    A recurring theme of that game is it's lack of feedback and general information given to the player. 
    And now its the other way around? 

Can you palmface yourself anymore? 

Either way if the player was into the story at that point, they would have done what the game wanted them to do. But if the player was just finishing the game without being into it or something, i could see that happening. 
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By handlas

well I jsut beat the game and I know my first thought was...go kill Ross.  I didn't even know the game was over (well mainly over).  I got the credits to roll tho.  I had one more side quest after that that I hadn't completed.  I want to get the Bureau Uniform.  

Makes me think...if I hadn't done all the side quests with John before the game changed me to Jack....that makes me wonder if they recorded dialogue for every single side quest with Jack and with John.  The side quest I hadn't finished with John, I'm finishing up with Jack.  The guy mentions "oh I see he sent a friend!" instead of just regarding me as John Marston.  All the side quests are so involved, they feel like they could be main missions almost.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#30  Edited By donutfever

Anybody grab the newspaper after you beat the game? If not, do so, NOW!  
    EDIT: It's not just what the guy above said, AFTER you kill Ross there's a great newspaper thing. It was the first one I bought, because my friend told me it.  

For those who don't want to go back:      SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#31  Edited By donutfever
    @Death_Unicorn said:
    " You have one more side mission, it's not over until the credits roll. "
    Correction: It's not over til' it's over!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.