Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 4

Game » consists of 39 releases. Released Jan 11, 2005

Special agent Leon S. Kennedy travels to rural Spain to rescue the U.S. President's kidnapped daughter in Resident Evil's sixth canonical installment. It is notable for a lengthy development cycle which involved a complete overhaul of the series' established gameplay mechanics.

(Gaming Days x 30)^1337: Day 10 - Best Gameplay

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By 1337W422102

This is a terrible question.  Ones about music, characters, or memorable moments can traverse genres, but this one really can't.  How do you compare Total Annihilation to Rebel Assault, since gameplay is so radically different between the two?

With that in mind, I'll instead talk about surprisingly decent gameplay.  Despite being mired in a plethora of problems, even the shitty PC version of Resident Evil 4 could not hide the incredible fun of that game.  It's not a third-person shooter, even though a lot of haters like to say it is.  Perspective aside, it still had a lot of oldschool RE elements: slowly walking around, trying to find things you could look at, reading, shitty camera, etc.  But it had plenty of action, and I really enjoyed running around exploring things, kicking down doors like a boss, turning 180 degrees, stuff like that.

DAT ASS
     DAT ASS
    Hell, even the button-mashing EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME scenes were fun.   Well, sometimes.   Except for that fucking knife fight.  That was just a bad idea.

Sure, there was a lot that was wrong with the game (not counting the really shit PC port), such as the EXTREME BABYSITTING SIMULATION, but even that could get fun, if you tried, or if you are a pedophile.

It was a different kind of gameplay that I hadn't experienced before, one which I don't think would work in most cases/circumstances, but it worked in RE4.  It also helped to set the atmosphere by making you feel vulnerable.  Having to camp to shoot really helps.  Fuck the haters.

Also, DAT ASS
    1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By 1337W422102

This is a terrible question.  Ones about music, characters, or memorable moments can traverse genres, but this one really can't.  How do you compare Total Annihilation to Rebel Assault, since gameplay is so radically different between the two?

With that in mind, I'll instead talk about surprisingly decent gameplay.  Despite being mired in a plethora of problems, even the shitty PC version of Resident Evil 4 could not hide the incredible fun of that game.  It's not a third-person shooter, even though a lot of haters like to say it is.  Perspective aside, it still had a lot of oldschool RE elements: slowly walking around, trying to find things you could look at, reading, shitty camera, etc.  But it had plenty of action, and I really enjoyed running around exploring things, kicking down doors like a boss, turning 180 degrees, stuff like that.

DAT ASS
     DAT ASS
    Hell, even the button-mashing EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME scenes were fun.   Well, sometimes.   Except for that fucking knife fight.  That was just a bad idea.

Sure, there was a lot that was wrong with the game (not counting the really shit PC port), such as the EXTREME BABYSITTING SIMULATION, but even that could get fun, if you tried, or if you are a pedophile.

It was a different kind of gameplay that I hadn't experienced before, one which I don't think would work in most cases/circumstances, but it worked in RE4.  It also helped to set the atmosphere by making you feel vulnerable.  Having to camp to shoot really helps.  Fuck the haters.

Also, DAT ASS
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

And another brother who suffered through the PC version of this amazing game and was still left satisfied. High five.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 1337W422102
    @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    " And another brother who suffered through the PC version of this amazing game and was still left satisfied. High five. "
    Thanks, man!  I got the mouseaim mod working for my second playthrough.  The first few mouseaim mods I found didn't work, and the one that did would make the game crash if Xfire was running.  Weird!
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets
    @1337W422102 said:
    " @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    " And another brother who suffered through the PC version of this amazing game and was still left satisfied. High five. "
    Thanks, man!  I got the mouseaim mod working for my second playthrough.  The first few mouseaim mods I found didn't work, and the one that did would make the game crash if Xfire was running.  Weird! "
    Haha, you're a better man than I, I actually went and bought a PC controller for the game. Props, man.
    1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 1337W422102
    @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    " @1337W422102 said:
    Thanks, man!  I got the mouseaim mod working for my second playthrough.  The first few mouseaim mods I found didn't work, and the one that did would make the game crash if Xfire was running.  Weird! "
    Haha, you're a better man than I, I actually went and bought a PC controller for the game. Props, man. "
    I was lucky enough to have a wired 360 controller that I would use for fighting games, so I plugged that in and used it until I found working fan-made mods for mouse support.  Still, what a pain.  It's mind-boggling just how awful that port was.
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets
    @1337W422102 said:
    " @1337W422102 said:
    Haha, you're a better man than I, I actually went and bought a PC controller for the game. Props, man. "
    I was lucky enough to have a wired 360 controller that I would use for fighting games, so I plugged that in and used it until I found working fan-made mods for mouse support.  Still, what a pain.  It's mind-boggling just how awful that port was. "
    Honestly, they should have just remade RE4 with the quality they had for RE5 PC. Four is a much more superior game in every way.
    1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 1337W422102
    @JoyfullOFrockets said:
    " @1337W422102 said:
    " @1337W422102 said:
    I was lucky enough to have a wired 360 controller that I would use for fighting games, so I plugged that in and used it until I found working fan-made mods for mouse support.  Still, what a pain.  It's mind-boggling just how awful that port was. "
    Honestly, they should have just remade RE4 with the quality they had for RE5 PC. Four is a much more superior game in every way. "
    Agreed!  I'm sure they could do that; some kind of RE4 Special Edition or something.  I'd buy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.