Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

In this multiplayer-focused shooter, the evil Umbrella Corporation and the U.S. Government clash in the hellish zombie-infested remains of Raccoon City in a battle for survival and control of the truth.

Sales numbers for this title....

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Because I was just wondering why the PC version of a game that was universally panned that will not include any extras or additions of any kind would launch at $50 retail? Is Capcom nuts? Who on earth is going to pay full fare for this game at this point?

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By connerthekewlkid

last time i checked about 750k units

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#3  Edited By beard_of_zeus

It was actually second in the NPDs for March, if I recall correctly - which is insane, because as you said, it did not do too well in the review circuit. Apparently, you can slap "Resident Evil" on anything and people will buy it.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By august
    @beard_of_zeus: Resident Evil Toothpaste! It's T-Virus flavored!
    GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GJSmitty

@august said:

That sounds disgusting....but I would totally buy it!

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Barrock

Sold surprisingly well from what I read.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's sold over a million, they can keep it at full price.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Grillbar

@august said:

here just take my money god dammit

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

The game was almost certainly very successfull if they same game came out with a different name it would have bombed.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

@beard_of_zeus said:

It was actually second in the NPDs for March, if I recall correctly - which is insane, because as you said, it did not do too well in the review circuit. Apparently, you can slap "Resident Evil" on anything and people will buy it.

Unfortunately, this is true. I'm not entirely without fault since I'm one of the many who bought it... but I've at least somewhat redeemed myself by urging everyone else not to. The worst part of all this is that a lot of people really like this shit... solely because it's Resident Evil. Buying it is one thing, but going into disbelief--or just having such insanely low standards--is another level entirely. Times like these is where I hate calling myself a Resident Evil fan since as a result I'm, to a certain degree, bundled up with all the people who'll jizz over anything because of the brand, regardless of quality. Reading comments of people saying that the critics just don't 'get it' or that they 'should just go and play your shitty Call of Duty' (seriously, why does it always come back to CoD?!) makes me wish I could facepalm with my feet, because my two hands can't cover the amount of embarrassment I feel.

Oh, and they're seriously not even going to bundle that shitshow DLC into the PC version?! Man, this is like the Jack & Jill of video-games: A scam, solely used to abuse a name for cash with as little effort as possible. The DLC isn't even that good (didn't pay for it, but I've seen clips) since it's the same environments, enemies ect. just rearranged with some additional dialogue with the Spec Ops guys. The full game shouldn't have even been full price, so the fact that they priced the DLC at £8 was hilarious.

Ugh, just... fuck this game, from every angle, into every orifice.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Yummylee: http://www.gamespot.com/news/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-infects-17-million-6375385

Was a big fan too, but Capcom is pounding into the dirt all of their franchises and all of our trust. Yeah, people can say "How are they doing so bad with their franchises if Operation Raccoon City got 1.7 million sales?" Well, its name was Resident Evil. Tons of people were burned on that purchase and retaining a business model like that can only last so long. I guess they probably made quite a pretty penny off of it though considering how awfully poor of a game Operation Raccoon City is. Its budget must've not been all that significant.

Capcom's burned me on Ace Attorney, Mega Man, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (releasing Ultimate WITHIN THE SAME YEAR), and countless COUNTLESS other skeevy things with DLC and pretty much ignoring their fans. That Mega Man Legends 3 debacle was the jump-off point, really. Having the fans come in and devote their time to help conceptualize and consult for MML3 only for Capcom to throw it out of the window and blame the fans for not giving enough of a shit.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 not getting localized remains my #1 kick in the groin, though. I'm thankful Ghost Trick was even allowed to be published under Capcom's authority, though it sold rather poorly. It's on iPhone and iPad so I hope it's doing fantastic there. I'm just worried they have Shu Takumi in a corner of shame or something.

Anyway, sorry to have (most likely) ruined your day with that link. I mean, I know there wasn't any denying the fact that, yeah, that game was going to sell, but seeing those numbers with my own eyes hurts all the more.
    QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By QuistisTrepe

@Yummylee said:

Oh, and they're seriously not even going to bundle that shitshow DLC into the PC version?! Man, this is like the Jack & Jill of video-games: A scam, solely used to abuse a name for cash with as little effort as possible. The DLC isn't even that good (didn't pay for it, but I've seen clips) since it's just the same environments, enemies ect. just rearranged with some additional dialogue with the Spec Ops guys. The full game shouldn't of even been full price, so the fact that they priced the DLC at £8 was hilarious.

Ugh, just... fuck this game, from every angle, into every orifice.

This doesn't surprise me that much. After all, PC gamers got left out of Gold content for RE5, so this just falls into the same pattern. Not that RE5 was a great game to begin with, but I digress. Capcom's quality control has gone rapidly downhill this gen. How the mighty have fallen. I'm in agreement here. The RE brand seems to be little more than a means with which to make a quick buck. You knew something was up once content from the RE movies started appearing in the games. Maybe RE6 will turn out great, maybe it won't. The reappearance of Ashley isn't promising. (Oh Leon, how about double overtime?)

@GJSmitty said:

@august said:

+3

BigSteve1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By BigSteve1983

@august: It's the Toothpaste which will remove the taste of doggie food and Scotts face in one scrub.

Also regarding RE:ORC I'm probably going to get this on pre-owned.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@QuistisTrepe said:

@GJSmitty said:

@august said:

+3

White and red striped. Squeezes out in the shape the Umbrella logo.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Well, maybe Operation Raccoon City 2 will be better. Maybe? That could happen, right? Right?

For the record, I did not buy Raccoon City.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

@RoyCampbell said:

@Yummylee: http://www.gamespot.com/news/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-infects-17-million-6375385

Was a big fan too, but Capcom is pounding into the dirt all of their franchises and all of our trust. Yeah, people can say "How are they doing so bad with their franchises if Operation Raccoon City got 1.7 million sales?" Well, its name was Resident Evil. Tons of people were burned on that purchase and retaining a business model like that can only last so long. I guess they probably made quite a pretty penny off of it though considering how awfully poor of a game Operation Raccoon City is. Its budget must've not been all that significant.

Capcom's burned me on Ace Attorney, Mega Man, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (releasing Ultimate WITHIN THE SAME YEAR), and countless COUNTLESS other skeevy things with DLC and pretty much ignoring their fans. That Mega Man Legends 3 debacle was the jump-off point, really. Having the fans come in and devote their time to help conceptualize and consult for MML3 only for Capcom to throw it out of the window and blame the fans for not giving enough of a shit.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 not getting localized remains my #1 kick in the groin, though. I'm thankful Ghost Trick was even allowed to be published under Capcom's authority, though it sold rather poorly. It's on iPhone and iPad so I hope it's doing fantastic there. I'm just worried they have Shu Takumi in a corner of shame or something. Anyway, sorry to have (most likely) ruined your day with that link. I mean, I know there wasn't any denying the fact that, yeah, that game was going to sell, but seeing those numbers with my own eyes hurts all the more.

Jeez, I think my heart skipped a beat when I saw the link and thought it actually meant ''17 million''. Anywhoo I already knew that it roughly sold somewhere above a million, but it's no great feeling to have it reaffirmed all the same.

CAPCOM's business practices across the past few years have really stunk, no doubt about it. Which makes it all the more shameful that I'm still really looking forward to both Dragon's Dogma and Resident Evil 6... Those two at least look like they're being given a great deal of effort, though, and Dragon's Dogma especially looks to promise something relatively unique speaking for Japanese-developed JRPGs. RE6 isn't fairing as well, considering the stream of shitty marketing has already begun with the retail-specific preorder bonuses--in this case, Mercenary mode maps. I can't wait to see what else they have to show in terms of scummy business deals--not ignoring the temporary exclusivity of the RE6 demo for the 360 they've already set up. Regardless of what goes on, I'll be buying RE6 new. Because I'm a sap. But I'm a sap who at least won't fall for such tricks like the whole ORC debacle again... I'd like to think. The unwritten rule for me to play whatever RE I can just to continue staying in the loop of the franchise will carry on, but I'll at least be buying the more questionable releases second hand. Like with Dead Aim.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BraveToaster

I rented it from Gamefly and played about an hour of it before returning it. What I played was janky.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Man I rented ORC at a Redbox and it was so terrible. I loved RE4 and 5 but God Damn was it bad. RE6 looks promising though.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By XenoNick

I bought it and fully pointed that shit. Now my mate keeps bugging me to drag him through it -_-.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sold 1.7 million in NA+EU only. It did 250k copies on the PS3 in its first week in Japan, so it'll likely hit 2 mil pretty soon. 

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By musubi

The fighting game fad seems to be dying.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Yummylee said:

@RoyCampbell said:

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 not getting localized remains my #1 kick in the groin, though. I'm thankful Ghost Trick was even allowed to be published under Capcom's authority, though it sold rather poorly. It's on iPhone and iPad so I hope it's doing fantastic there. I'm just worried they have Shu Takumi in a corner of shame or something. Anyway, sorry to have (most likely) ruined your day with that link. I mean, I know there wasn't any denying the fact that, yeah, that game was going to sell, but seeing those numbers with my own eyes hurts all the more.
    RE6 isn't fairing as well, considering the stream of shitty marketing has already begun with the retail-specific preorder bonuses--in this case, Mercenary mode maps. I can't wait to see what else they have to show in terms of scummy business deals--not ignoring the temporary exclusivity of the RE6 demo for the 360 they've already set up.
    Uuuggghhhh...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.