Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 02, 2011

A standalone package version of the popular "The Mercenaries" minigame from the Resident Evil series for the Nintendo 3DS.

I really, really enjoyed Mercs mode in RE4/5.

pochunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pochunki

As you may have gleaned from the title, I really enjoyed me some Mercenaries mode in Resident Evil 4 and 5. Like...a lot. I remember playing the stages in RE4 a million times, trying to 5 star them all with every character to unlock the infinite ammo Handcannon in Story mode. I played a hell of a lot of RE5 Mercenaries too, though not as much as RE4 (because my save file got corrupted!).

Anyhoo, since I played so much of this and really enjoyed it from those games, should I buy Mercenaries 3DS? I know the general opinion is that its of poor quality, but I kind of anticipated that. Will my love of this gamemode be enough for me to enjoy Mercs 3DS, or is it so bad that even I won't be able to get past its poor quality? (Side note- this would be a birthday present and I wouldn't have to actually pay for it.)

Thanks, guys!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

I just don't think that mode has enough substance to be a full-priced retail product.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Wait sooo... are you or are you not paying for the copy?

pochunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pochunki

@EpicSteve: I don't know, I could really see myself casually playing a lot of it since it's a handheld game. Even though Brad and Vinny didn't seem too into it, the QL had me fairly excited.

@Abyssfull: I wouldn't be paying for it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee
    @pochunki:  
    In that case this seems a little pointless. You'll invariably be given the chance to play it and decide for yourself; if this was centred on you deciding to pay for it yourself, then it would have a little more merit. 
    This is literally just more mercenaries, though. It's a bit more expanded, but not much, and if you still enjoy mercenaries you'll enjoy this. And even if you don't, due to fatigue or what have you, it won't matter because at least you didn't pay for it. 

If you really want a solid prediction on whether you'll enjoy it, you should give RE5's merc mode another quick whirl to see if  you can still get behind more mercenaries. 
    pochunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pochunki

@Abyssfull: That's definitely a good idea about doing some more RE5 mercenaries...problem is, my save file got corrupted. I could probably whirl through story mode real quick to unlock it though. That issue notwithstanding, I still have the option of not asking my girlfriend for it for my birthday. I'd kinda feel bad about making her spend money on something that isn't very good / that I wouldn't ever play.

Since my birthday is a fair ways off (08/07), I'll probably run through RE5 once again and try some more Mercenaries. Good to hear that if I enjoyed Mercenaries, this is faithful enough to that that I'll still enjoy it.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

@pochunki said:

@EpicSteve: I don't know, I could really see myself casually playing a lot of it since it's a handheld game. Even though Brad and Vinny didn't seem too into it, the QL had me fairly excited.

If that's your play style then, maybe. I don't really have any games I continuously go back to and casually play. Just make sure you read some more reviews. There are technical issues with that game that may or may not break your experience.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By bonbolapti

I see myself getting it, to pick up and play whenever I want to just jump on.
    I am all for Mercenaries myself. So I'll be picking it up I think perks and custom load-outs are a neat addition to it. and I wouldn't mind seeing what the online is going to be like with it as well.

I would say go for it.

step2ice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By step2ice
    @EpicSteve said:

@pochunki said:

If that's your play style then, maybe. I don't really have any games I continuously go back to and casually play. Just make sure you read some more reviews. There are technical issues with that game that may or may not break your experience.

That's the point. Think of low quality sound samples, frame rate issues, clipping etc.
    40 bucks aside, this was the main reason I didn't buy the game. I really enjoy R 4 / 5 Mercs myself but this version is just too low quality and too high priced.
    Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Franstone

I am having a similar dilemma...
    I reserved Mercs for $5 in hopes it would be good.
    I picked it up Tuesday and used $25 on a gift card I just got for a recent birthday. 
    Spent about $13 more on credit I had from trade-ins.

The game sounded like fun for the 3DS esp for it's pick up-n-play nature.

I had played RE 4 on the Cube I believe... ?  (Last RE game I've played)
    But I don't remember playing Mercs mode at all.

I'm hearing such horrible things concerning technical issues that it's swaying me from even opening this thing.

Do i crack it open?
    Or return it to the GameShtapo?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.