Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil Village

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released May 07, 2021

After a disturbing encounter with Chris Redfield, Ethan Winters must rescue his daughter in a village overrun with mutant creatures in the follow-up to Resident Evil 7: Biohazard.

Best RE game since 4, maybe even better?

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Halfway through my 3rd playthrough, gearing up for VoS, and I can't believe how much fun I'm still having. They designed the ever loving shit out of this game, everything feels so damn good. I thought RE7 was fine, but hated the atmosphere of the bayou and thought it was just depressing overall, didn't do any NG+ there. Seeing village as another FPS made me completely ignore it, but after buying it on a whim I have to say I am completely in love. Getting those s ranks on the mercenaries may be too hard for me, but that's far from a real complaint.

Avatar image for magikarplvl9000
    Magikarplvl9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It's the best Resident Evil they have ever made in my opinion. They took everything that was great from most games and slammed it into one game and it works so well. Just everything about it is supreme.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excluding the remakes, I say the best after 5.

The game is great but needs more work to reach the godly levels of the classics and RE1&2 remakes.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

I really enjoyed my time with it, but for me it still can't top 4.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's good that modders have already alleviated the issue, but their lack of FOV options is startling.
    As a die hard RE fan i'm looking forward to seeing if these reactions are true, some day.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't paid attention to the amount of clears on a save since RE4, but I'm expecting to hit about 5 or 6 here, the challenges and unlockables are so good. First time through I found the pacing and story to be great, now that I'm starting to master it the level design really shines. Nervous to try knife only run but I once dive rolled my way through all of MGS4 so anything is possible

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I am interested after seeing Vinny and Brad play as well as the group talking about it on the bombcsst. Seems super promising. I know some people liked 5, but I was not a fan and 6 was a disaster. Kind of just stayed out since then.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

@wickedcobra03: 5 was good but it wasn't what people wanted I think, I loved the emphasis on action but ppl really wanted more horror.

6 is like a 60 hour Micheal Bay movie that he thinks is great.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wickedcobra03: I enjoyed 5 for the coop, but overall a stinker. 7 wasn't bad but was just so oppressive feeling. This one is a celebration of combat and atmosphere in the best way

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need to shout out the amazing models in the bonus menu, this game has some serious art. The Moreau figure has hundreds of blinking eyes and it flabs around as you rotate it, such unnecessary attention to detail that I love

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I swear, I think I'm the only one that bounced off this game hard. The aiming feels stiff yet floaty at the same time, and there's little to no reaction from enemies when you shoot them. I'll give it another go, but that opening hour or two of this game really soured me on the whole experience. So much so to the point that I uninstalled the game and moved on to something else. Total bummer too, because I was really amped for this game (I've loved most entries in the series).

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Giant_Gamer

@big_denim: I really hate slow intros that strip you out of everything. Which is the case here but once you get into the village the game opens up and the fun begins.

Yeah, enemies mostly react to headshots in this game. I think this is because of fans feedback of 4 and 5.

Suparu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: be sure to turn off movement camera acceleration & aiming camera acceleration

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: Honestly I think that's how I feel too. Especially in comparison to the remakes, it doesn't feel go to shoot people.

Skill up made a great point that the remakes (and even 4) work because teh enemeis are slow enough that you have enough to time to line your shots. Here, enemies are constantly movie so it's really hard to get a shot in. And when you do it's hardly satisfying. I'm still enjoying it, but I think I enjoy the 70s horror vibe of 7 more.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best Resident Evil is 6 but Village is a solid third or fourth.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Resident Evil 4 is a great game, but a terrible Resident Evil game

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By development

It's promising but falls totally flat.

Why does Resident Evil keep doing the "transform into big goo thing" bit? Does anyone like that? It has never worked. It's so boring. Do they think we're all 10-year-old boys? As soon as the games shift away from shooting zombies that stumble and react to gunfire the games start to drag on, and this game has zero zombies so the whole thing drags. Like @big_denim said, shooting anything in any body part, aside from the head, has no visual effect. Compare shooting Dimitrescu to shooting Mr. X in RE2: Remake. Her hat doesn't even fly off goddammit. She even stops stumbling altogether after 3 or so staggers and has zero hit recognition other than grey bullet textures.

I could go on and on, but at every corner are missed opportunities.

The only part I really loved was running from the baby.

edit: Also it's a stupid opinion, I know, but the game would be like 50% better if it was 3rd person, for multiple reasons, one of which being the fucking 20-degree FOV. And why the fuck is Ethan's face non-existent when we've seen it already in 7? So many weird decisions...

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By handlas

I feel like I'm in a completely different world haha. This is maybe the worst RE game I've played (given I haven't played all the side entries and stuff). Basically all the "puzzles" boil down to something being locked and the key to unlock it is in the next room... maybe 2 rooms away. The game is super easy; letting you hoard ammo until you get to a boss where you gotta use every single bullet in your inventory because all the bosses are bullet sponges (but very easy still). And the story was, to be somewhat kind to it, very dumb.

Resident Evil 7 was soooo much better in every way! Even the more action-oriented DLC in RE7 where you play as Chris was way better. So RE can do action if it wants to, imo. RE8 wasn't my thang tho.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I finally beat it today and I enjoyed it. Only Resident Evil games I've ever played were RE4 which much like Jeff I did not like at all, RE5 which I thought was really fun to co-op with a friend and RE6 which I never finished because the co-op person I was playing with kind of dropped out on me. Village was pretty entertaining because of how it switched things up and I would say is probably the most fun I had out of all those? Well.. you can't really beat good co-op so maybe I like RE5 the best but if were just counting solo play then Village takes the prize.

I agree with everyone above that shooting never really felt good and enemies seem very spongy even on the normal difficulty. A lot of the side mini-bosses like the wolf or giant with axe have basically zero reaction to your bullets which a lot of the time led me to wonder if I'm even doing damage. There is a real problem with how they want to do cinematic sequences with chasing and non-winnable situations, but then you're never sure if you're in one of those or are you actually supposed to start shooting? Ammo can go from plentiful to precious real quick when you've wasted it all on a scripted sequence.

That said for the most part I enjoyed it. I like how dumb the story is even though I never played RE7 and their constant referencing of a key character from that game made little sense to me. I even watched the recap and that person Eveline is hardly mentioned there yet seems to be a lynchpin of the whole plot of RE8.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I played through over the course of the week and I liked to a whole lot. Not quite sure how it ranks to me in the series just yet. After the past 4 years of 7, 2redo, 3make, and now VIllage I've just come to terms that I'm an unabashed fan of this series and always have been so I've kind of been predisposed to like these types of games. It's had some dips for sure but it's always bringing something interesting to both gaming as a medium and horror as an aesthetic.

I think the main criticism I agree with is how easy the game is on Standard. Initially I started the game on Hardcore but when I saw how erratic the lycan movements were I was a bit less eager so I restarted on Standard. I should have listened to my first instinct even though it was still fun enough to play. I beat every main boss on the first try except for one that took me two tries (Moreau's acid rain caught me off guard). I'll also say I wish they went all the way with emulating RE2redo's map by just showing the items when you get close enough. I get all obsessive when the room on the map is still red. I actually really enjoyed the variety in the vibes of the different biomes, I think I would've liked the game slightly less if most of them were relentless combat hallways a la RE4.

The narrative is rather silly though I wish it could have matched some of RE7's humor which is a tough ask. I know this sounds crazy but I think Ethan might be my favorite RE protagonist? Just in terms of what a hapless dope he comes across as with all his hashtagResidentEvilunderstatements, it feels more endearing in a horror setting as opposed to the hyper competence of the STARS elites or the youthful pluck of Leon and Claire. It's not even that he's a good character it's just his response to horror stuff amuses me. In conclusion I'm a Resident Evil fan, this gave me what I wanted, and I look forward to see they do with it next.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mind any of the shooting, headshots feel great and I only really go for those. I've gotten everything except the mercenaries achievement, which I have to admit defeat on. Loved the vibe of each area so much, thought the bosses were all fun, if not a little easy, and really the environments are what seals the deal. This game is pure atmosphere and I loved every minute with it. Still don't see the love for 7, felt very small and had lame monsters. To each their own

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.