Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

In the third game in Insomniac's Resistance franchise, you will play as Joseph Capelli, murderer of previous protagonist Nathan Hale, as he journeys across the Chimera-controlled United States.

How important is it (story wise) to have played 2?

XxRANGAxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By XxRANGAxX

(just to note yes I know I started the exact same topic, but for some reason it got locked, anyone know why it would be great to hear)

Hey guys,

I never played enough of 2 to remember it and from what I hear it was shithouse, anyway how important do you think it is to have played through 1 and 2 for a good experience of 3? or do you think I will love just jumping into 3 anyway? Because 3 looks fucking awesome!

zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By zonikjj

Resistance 2 isn't really a shithouse from what I experienced. I only played the single player campaign and (other than the ending) the game was really fun and challenging!

I skipped Resistance 1 (though I did buy it) before Resistance 2) and I felt I was fine throughout the series so far, so you should be fine playing Resistance 3 without 1 and 2 IMO. They do a pretty good job recapping the important events at the beginning of Resistance 3, so story wise, you'll be in the loop. If you're still worried about it, I'd suggest looking at a wiki with plot summaries for Resistance 1 and 2.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vitor

Wiki plot points for the first two games. The second may not have been a shithouse when first released but, believe me, it has not aged well despite only having come out in 2008. It`s ugly by today`s standards and badly designed in a lot of ways. The boss fights are tedious and glitchy and the level design is beyond linear and just bland. Avoid playing through the game at all costs.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Yanngc33

It's unimportant, it's so unimportant that it seems that the game is avoiding all connection with the 2nd one

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By inkerman

Shithouse might be a rough term, but it certainly wasn't for me. I would go as far as to say it objectively wasn't a good game (or at least had some serious issues), but combined with my personal tastes I never finished it. Story's pretty neat though.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By handlas

it's not unimportant. But they sum up everything you need to know in the beginning of this game so there isn't a necessity to play it.  

I really still don't get where the hate comes from for R2. I don't recall people hating it when it came out. It got good reviews. It had a ton of people playing the multiplayer ( i know the hate is mostly for the SP). I can't rack my brain and remember anything that I disliked greatly about it. The only thing that comes to mind is that the graphics probably could of been better for the time but it seems they were sacrificed for bigger enemies and bigger multiplayer. 

And I really liked the ending a lot. But if you play R3 it spoils that ending within 2 minutes of the game so....

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By metalmoog

The into cinematic for Resistance 3 will fill in you in on whatever it is you need to know story-wise. FPS games are never heavy on story and Resistance's plot can be summed up rather quickly by the intro cinematic. Resistance 2 was a good game, Resistance 3 is a great game. The campaign is right up there as best FPS campaign I've played.

EDIT: I just noticed handlas above, said everything I just did already. So yeah, further reinforced! Lol.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee
    @handlas said:
    it's not unimportant. But they sum up everything you need to know in the beginning of this game so there isn't a necessity to play it.   I really still don't get where the hate comes from for R2. I don't recall people hating it when it came out. It got good reviews. It had a ton of people playing the multiplayer ( i know the hate is mostly for the SP). I can't rack my brain and remember anything that I disliked greatly about it. The only thing that comes to mind is that the graphics probably could of been better for the time but it seems they were sacrificed for bigger enemies and bigger multiplayer.  And I really liked the ending a lot. But if you play R3 it spoils that ending within 2 minutes of the game so....
    +1  
    Pretty much exactly what I came in here to say.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Branthog

I've played all three and I only vaguely remember what happened in the first two. You play an entirely different character in the third and it gives you all the back story you really need. If you have the first two or buy the pack that recently came out with both in it, they're worth playing - but you can definitely just jump right in, if you like.

shermanatorek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shermanatorek

It's pretty important

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Yanngc33 said:

It's unimportant, it's so unimportant that it seems that the game is avoiding all connection with the 2nd one

Hale died. Thats about it....
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bybeach

Really enjoyed the first one, as dirivative and brown as it was. But the second one..didn't even really get started beyond an hour...money out. I now have resistance3, and do not care.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By SSully

This is what happens in resistance 2. 

It was fun when I played it the first time, and I always thought the settings were interesting, but it really didn't age very well. 

Scarz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Scarz09

I loved the first one, couldn't finish the second because I didn't enjoy it at all...and bought the third this morning but it's still sealed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.