Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resonance of Fate

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jan 28, 2010

A "gun battle" RPG developed at tri-Ace in collaboration with SEGA.

Is it as hard as they say?

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dogbox

If there's anyone here on the forums playing Resonance of Fate right now, I ask you this: is it as hard as review outlets are saying it is? I don't mind hard games, necessarily, but I can't play a game where I'm constantly having my ass kicked or one-shotted by enemies. So, in your experience, how tough a time have you been having? And if I were to really dig into the side quests, will battles become a bit more manageable?

I really like just about everything I've seen about this game, but as someone who isn't usually extremely good at games (but still competent!), the supposed difficulty of this game worries me a bit.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

I think the proper word is challanging.  The game throws you into the world of a ragtag trio of hunters and the tutorial is helpful but very vague in which it doesn't explain when or why you should be using tactics.  The manual has some hints that help out, but most learning will come from trial and error.  However, by Chapter 3 or 4, you should have the system down and it plays out like a tactical game rather than a straight turnbased RPG.  

If you are willing to learn, the rewards are pretty nice.  I spent close to an hour fighting the first boss until I just got fed up and just grenade spammed him, using up all my grenades.  Yet, at the start of chapter 2 I started to get more serious and by chapter 3, I was getting the system down.  Both in battle and outside with customizations, hex system for world map, and CLOTHES SHOPPING!  YAY!

The story is great, and wants to make you want to not screw up so you can see what happens next.  If you're a fan of the older animes in the late 90s and early 2000s, this is a great representation of that.  Each chapter has it's own story and supposedly comes together at final stages.  So it's worth learning to experience.  :)

EDIT:  Plus it's worth it alone for the amazing intro the game shows you.  It's so beautiful and poetic...and yet so much mystery and magic. 

Raidou10k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Raidou10k

I'm about 5 hours into the game, and like KaosAngel says, it's more challenging than hard. Standard enemies by themselves are relatively weak, but knowing what moves to pull out and when equals the difference between getting killed and dominating. And to top it off, even if you get killed during a battle, you can always opt to retry that battle for a tiny fee. 

Basically, once you get the hang of the battle system, you're good to go. 

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By MildMolasses

Like others have said, it's a matter of getting to know how the battle system works. It's a lot of trial and error, and I died a lot right off the bat. Now that I'm getting the hang of it, it's really a lot of fun. tri-Ace seems to generally do a good job with the battle systems,and this is no exception.
    King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5  Edited By King9999

It comes down to how well you can manage the bezels.  Without them, you're pretty much screwed.  Whenever I lost a battle, it was because I made a careless move.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
    @King9999: When I fought the turtle boss in chapter 2, I fucked up and pushed up on the stick when I had 3 Resonance Points and I surrounded the boss in a perfectly shapped triangle.  I was so god damn pissed when my guy took the first step and I lost all those points.  I also hate when I'm not targeting the right person BEFORE I do a hero action and end up wasting half my time cycling between targets.  x.x

All my mistakes were due to rushing to quick, not thinking, and/or just being lazy.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#7  Edited By Jazz

I don't understand why people call this game hard. 
    Challenging, sure. 
    Is there a culture now that if you die during a game...that game is hard? 
    Bayonetta is said to be hard, but it's not really. Cheap at time, but not hard. 
    Neither is Ninja Gaiden really. 

Mega Man 9 on the other hand..thats hard.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @Jazz: Dude, the original Ninja Gaiden was ridiculously hard.
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Organicalistic_

much harder, bone hard

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#10  Edited By Jazz
    @creamypies:  
    I meant the recent xbox/xbox 360 games. 
    Not many people on the site would have played the original 2d versions 
    but yeah, the original 2d games were damn hard.
    CmdrSheppard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CmdrSheppard

It's hard, I don't even know how to repair the bridge in the beginning. Or fight.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I like how I bought this game and still haven't opened it.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Shadow

I just got the game. It's awesome, but yeah. I would say it's a good challenge, but the fact that it costs money to retry battles instead of re-loading a save is REALLY annoying.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

@Shadow said:

I just got the game. It's awesome, but yeah. I would say it's a good challenge, but the fact that it costs money to retry battles instead of re-loading a save is REALLY annoying.

Pretty good thread to bump. I enjoyed it.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Grissefar

It's a huge time commitment and it can be very dull at times but it has a lot of good, complex systems all around and it is at its best when you're fighting a giant boss at the end of a dungeon. The difficulty is wierd in that everything can be going excellent but you're always only one mistake from entering critical condition, which can cost you the battle even if there is only one weak enemy left, and it will most likely drag the battle out a good 15 minutes if you choose not to reset immediately.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.