Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Road Not Taken

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 05, 2014

Road Not Taken is a procedural generated roguelike puzzle game about rescuing children from a forest.

How is this game?

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I have not downloaded this yet and I'm not quite sure what kind of game this actually is. I read it's a puzzle game and a roguelike which does indeed sound kind of neat depending on what side it leans on. There is not much info on the site outside if the E3 trailer.

Just curious if anyone has played this at all.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I played for an hour or so earlier this evening, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I will definitely keep going.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

It's child-throwingly good.

Not great, not bad.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I watched @amlabella play it for a bit and it seemed really good if quite hard and incredibly depressing.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've played it for about an hour. It's interesting. It definitely feels like a blend between the rogue-like and puzzle genres. I want to see where it goes, but I was already struggling on the 3rd stage (out of 15?).

MaxShenanigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MaxShenanigan

I'm enjoying it, but it's not for the faint of heart. After a few rounds it does get pretty challenging! I like that, though.

The game is also super cute.

As a free PS+ game, I think it's fantastic, because it's not one of those games I'd go out on a limb to risk a $15 purchase on, but now that I have it I admit that I am enjoying it.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to succeed. I know you gain the ability to ban certain elements in the forest over time, but you accrue those at such a slow pace that it doesn't seem like it's a Rogue Legacy type of "keep playing, you'll earn more and pave a road for yourself."

I'm also having a hard time remembering the more complex combination types. Why not surface that on the screen once you've discovered that? I look at a gigantic room full of baddies and have no idea how to tackle it, or if I'm even able to. It just seems impossible to progress past the third year or so thus far.

Hoping it bends to my will a little over time, mainly because I really enjoy the art style and gameplay mechanics when I know how to tackle a situation.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, is there any *good* reason to invest in more than one of the people in the town? Seems like they always get jealous of my other relationships and end up decreasing their friendship meter...

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wallee321

I played this once, but I don't really see why it had to be a rouge like type game.

Puzzles seemed tricky enough that i wouldn't want start from year one just because I messed something up.

Hope others enjoy it, but I'm lukewarm on it.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

I only played it briefly, but I found it boring. The puzzles specifically just weren't engaging

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I gave it a shot for 20 or 30 minutes, but it just didn't grab me. An interesting mix of mechanics for sure, but it also seemed incredibly dull, and as @wallee321 said, the rogue-like elements don't seem to fit in a game like this. I definitely wouldn't want to get far into the game, fuck up, and then have to solve a bunch of puzzles again. Furthermore, the basic puzzle-solving mechanics didn't feel fun or satisfying in the little bit I played. I'm sure some people will enjoy this. I am not one of them.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a bit more then an hour and can't pass year 4. I keep fucking dying and it put me in the worst mood on Wednesday. I almost deleted it but decided not to. It's ridiculously hard when you get to year 4. Well, that's if you're going after all the kids. It annoys me that you can't drop items, only toss them so I always end up making those angry ghost things that follow you and take 20 points if you touch them by accident. Also, the relationship thing seems broken as someone pointed out. They get jealous of each other and you lose friendship points which is dumb. The game sounds neat on paper but it just doesn't seem like it comes together. If anything, the descriptions for every item, etc. in the book are funny and it has an adorable look. Just doesn't seem very fun once you get to year 3-4.

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@a_cute_squirtle: Felt the same way about the game. Also I didn't really feel that the resources you get mean anything besides "some people will respond better to them as gifts". But you have no control over their acquisition and no real choice to use them so far.

I don't even understand the point of having relationships besides sometimes them giving you charms, is there anything else to it? So I have just been focusing on one person as well.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I gave it about 40 minutes and it hadn't grabbed me so I decided to try Fez instead. I'll go back to it at some stage.

It looks great visually and the design of the characters and everything is great but actually playing it is just a bit dull so far.

Brad3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am having a weird reaction to Road Not Taken. I don't really enjoy it at all - the puzzle mechanics feel unwieldy, arbitrary and overly difficult - and yet I am compelled to keep playing it. I don't know why. I play it for 20 minutes & think "nope, I don't really like this game" so I turn it off... Only to find myself wanting to play it again a few hours later.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I kind of enjoy it, and want to play it. I think I would enjoy it more if you didn't start back at year one when you died. I think Rogue Legacy is great, but I don't think the starting over aspect works well in a puzzle format.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It definitely seems like the sort of puzzle game where you can just screw yourself by making a few mistakes. Which would be fine if you could reload a checkpoint, but it's gets very frustrating if you do that to yourself and you're forced to start all over again. That said, I still enjoy the mechanics. I don't feel I could ever get hooked on the game like I did for other rogue-likes (Spelunky/Binding of Isaac), but I still like to come back and play it every now and then.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Memu

I bought this today on steam after watching the QL. I played it for a few hours tonight and then deleted it. The risk/reward for your actions is rarely clear so it just ends up being a guessing game of what to do next. The combo system is needlessly complex and it quickly becomes difficult to make even simple combos as the boards become more cluttered. "Wait, wolf, I need those deer to open the door. Oops, no more deer, I'm stuck. Game over." The game is so difficult already, why why why have the checkpoint take away all of your items!

soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

Played a bunch more last night - once you nail down some of the formulas, and some basic strategies (build fires!), I was really enjoying it a lot more. Steep learning curve for sure - but when you get the hang of it, it really takes off.

Finding your way out of a jam is the best part of the game for sure. A few times I thought I was permanently screwed with next to no health and surrounded by those black ghosts... but I figured out how to make some food, and realized the benefit of fire, and that's when the whole game really clicked for me.

Currently in Year 9 with a good amount of health - looking forward to (hopefully) beating it. If anyone knows how to kill those fucking wolves, LMK!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

it's really difficult.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.