Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 14, 2008

Harmonix, MTV Games, and EA return with the sequel to Rock Band. Rock Band 2 ships with 84 on-disc songs, 20 free downloadable songs, compatibility with all DLC, and the ability to import most songs from the first Rock Band.

KV Presents: TOP FIVE GRIPES WITH RANDOM ROCK BAND PLAYERS

KampfVerein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By KampfVerein

I've played plenty of Band Quickplay on LIVE in my time, and these are my recurring pet peeves when it comes to your average Joe Strummer...well, more like "molten, irrational hatreds," really...

6) PIMPMOBILE.

5) GAS MASKS. I have never seen one of these rubber monstrosities used in a fashionable or appropriate context. It's always spiked hair, gas masks, a full body's worth of pointless and ugly tattoos and a cape. Here's a tip, kids: develop a theme, then clothe accordingly. Also, color coordinate, for christ's sake! And remember: RETARDED DOUCHEBAG IS NOT A THEME. IT'S A LIFESTYLE.

4) TALKING DURING THE SONG. Please, for the love of all that is musical and rad, shut the fuck up. I play this game for two reasons: 1) I want to engage in and enjoy the music, and 2) I happen to be pretty OK at it. When you blabber on and on in the middle of a track, you skullfuck those two reasons. Your idiotic gibbering not only prevents me from hearing all of the song clearly, but it also disrupts my concentration. Especially irritating when it's some sudden, profane outburst because you missed a note or twelve and TOTALLY FC THAT SONG ALL THE TIME FOREVER. Also, I don't care that you passed this or FC'd that or played what-have-you on [INSERT ACTUAL INSTRUMENT HERE]. I just want you to keep that gaping landfill you call a mouth closed and do your job, which is to rhythmically hit a sequence of colored Christmas lights. The more you speak, the more I want to play "Clouds Over California" on the bass pedal that is your face.

3) YOUR OBNOXIOUS SUPPORT OF AVENGED SEVENFOLD. I will admit, right now, that I am not a fan of Synyster Gates - god, it hurt me to type that - and the Police Officer and Colonel Mustard and whoever the hell else is in Avenged Sevenfold. I find their music, much like Green Day's, to be just left of listenable, endowed with a whiny aesthetic polished to a mirror shine by sleek production. Yes, these men with their inked-up arms, Hot Topic clothing and goofy pseudo-religious nicknames sure are hardcore. However, that having been said, there is no denying that, in a Rock Band context - or Guitar Hero, if you enjoy mediocre products, the Avenged Sevenfold songs are fun to play and sometimes rather challenging (here's looking at you, "Afterlife" solo). But that does not mean that, when given the opportunity to select the next song, you should pick "Almost Easy." For one, it's a disc song, and chances are very good that everyone in the group has played it over 9000 times. Two, if you're looking for a challenge, there are far harder songs available for your pathetic validation needs. Perhaps I just hate metalcore - this same sort of thing happens with All That Remains, I've found - but I should think that, in a game chock full of Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and...yes, even Metallica...you have an infinite number of better choices when it comes to metal. Why settle?

Listen closely, you jerks. You nearly ruined "Welcome Home" for me back in 2007, and you've given me a strong distaste for "Down with the Sickness." I'm horrified to think of what you could do with "Bat Country."

2) DAFFODIL.

1) BEING POOR. Otherwise known as "not having any DLC." Sure, I've been lucky enough, financially and otherwise, to buy nearly 640 DLC tracks so far, but it's not as if the content is rare or expensive or of a poor quality. In fact, whiplash to the contrary. There are plenty of artists available with plenty of material, and it's all authored with a remarkable attention to detail, but you mean to tell me that you can't find even thirty or so songs that you'd be interested in playing? And that you don't even have the twenty free songs or "Still Alive," "Promised Land," et cetera, all of which - may I reiterate - are fucking free? That's just a willful ignorance of what makes Rock Band so damn good: the sheer, mind-bottling amount of material. It's true that the mechanics might get stale after a while, but fresh music and charts always reinvigorate them in my experience, especially debuts of artists and lesser-seen genres. If you don't have any DLC, I will avoid you under the category of "Doesn't Understand the Game," because that's precisely what you're doing.

KampfVerein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By KampfVerein

I've played plenty of Band Quickplay on LIVE in my time, and these are my recurring pet peeves when it comes to your average Joe Strummer...well, more like "molten, irrational hatreds," really...

6) PIMPMOBILE.

5) GAS MASKS. I have never seen one of these rubber monstrosities used in a fashionable or appropriate context. It's always spiked hair, gas masks, a full body's worth of pointless and ugly tattoos and a cape. Here's a tip, kids: develop a theme, then clothe accordingly. Also, color coordinate, for christ's sake! And remember: RETARDED DOUCHEBAG IS NOT A THEME. IT'S A LIFESTYLE.

4) TALKING DURING THE SONG. Please, for the love of all that is musical and rad, shut the fuck up. I play this game for two reasons: 1) I want to engage in and enjoy the music, and 2) I happen to be pretty OK at it. When you blabber on and on in the middle of a track, you skullfuck those two reasons. Your idiotic gibbering not only prevents me from hearing all of the song clearly, but it also disrupts my concentration. Especially irritating when it's some sudden, profane outburst because you missed a note or twelve and TOTALLY FC THAT SONG ALL THE TIME FOREVER. Also, I don't care that you passed this or FC'd that or played what-have-you on [INSERT ACTUAL INSTRUMENT HERE]. I just want you to keep that gaping landfill you call a mouth closed and do your job, which is to rhythmically hit a sequence of colored Christmas lights. The more you speak, the more I want to play "Clouds Over California" on the bass pedal that is your face.

3) YOUR OBNOXIOUS SUPPORT OF AVENGED SEVENFOLD. I will admit, right now, that I am not a fan of Synyster Gates - god, it hurt me to type that - and the Police Officer and Colonel Mustard and whoever the hell else is in Avenged Sevenfold. I find their music, much like Green Day's, to be just left of listenable, endowed with a whiny aesthetic polished to a mirror shine by sleek production. Yes, these men with their inked-up arms, Hot Topic clothing and goofy pseudo-religious nicknames sure are hardcore. However, that having been said, there is no denying that, in a Rock Band context - or Guitar Hero, if you enjoy mediocre products, the Avenged Sevenfold songs are fun to play and sometimes rather challenging (here's looking at you, "Afterlife" solo). But that does not mean that, when given the opportunity to select the next song, you should pick "Almost Easy." For one, it's a disc song, and chances are very good that everyone in the group has played it over 9000 times. Two, if you're looking for a challenge, there are far harder songs available for your pathetic validation needs. Perhaps I just hate metalcore - this same sort of thing happens with All That Remains, I've found - but I should think that, in a game chock full of Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and...yes, even Metallica...you have an infinite number of better choices when it comes to metal. Why settle?

Listen closely, you jerks. You nearly ruined "Welcome Home" for me back in 2007, and you've given me a strong distaste for "Down with the Sickness." I'm horrified to think of what you could do with "Bat Country."

2) DAFFODIL.

1) BEING POOR. Otherwise known as "not having any DLC." Sure, I've been lucky enough, financially and otherwise, to buy nearly 640 DLC tracks so far, but it's not as if the content is rare or expensive or of a poor quality. In fact, whiplash to the contrary. There are plenty of artists available with plenty of material, and it's all authored with a remarkable attention to detail, but you mean to tell me that you can't find even thirty or so songs that you'd be interested in playing? And that you don't even have the twenty free songs or "Still Alive," "Promised Land," et cetera, all of which - may I reiterate - are fucking free? That's just a willful ignorance of what makes Rock Band so damn good: the sheer, mind-bottling amount of material. It's true that the mechanics might get stale after a while, but fresh music and charts always reinvigorate them in my experience, especially debuts of artists and lesser-seen genres. If you don't have any DLC, I will avoid you under the category of "Doesn't Understand the Game," because that's precisely what you're doing.

A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By A Likely Story

There's nothing wrong with people making ridiculous characters unless they have some explicit tattoos or something of the like. If you're bothered by mismatched clothing in Rock Band, a video game that revolves around music sometimes played by the most strange and outlandish people you'll lay your eyes on, you're not getting the point of the game. 

Four is kind of debatable. Sometimes I just want to enjoy the music, but if I'm playing with a bunch of friends online or off then I don't care if anyone talks because we're having fun. 

Not owning any DLC isn't as big of a crime as people make it out to be. Not everyone is a hardcore Rock Band player, or even a big gamer period, so I can easily understand why someone wouldn't want to buy any extra songs. Even the free songs are negligible to some because they don't like the damn songs. Chances are, if you haven't played Portal, Still Alive won't appeal to you, Promise Land basically sounds like a bad attempt as a Bon Jovi rip off, Charlene probably won't appeal to anyone that doesn't know it's by Stephen and the Colberts, and Headphones On is just...yeah. Do I get annoyed playing the same songs over and over again online? Sure, but that's why I find people with DLC or play with friends at my house. I feel like online Quickplay is a way to give casual Rock Band players a chance to play with others because they may not have anyone else willing to play with them.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Romination

Complaint 0: They're Rock Band players.

and now i run away!

KampfVerein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KampfVerein
    @Hobbies: Look at you being all practical and level-headed while I'm trying to bitch and moan. Makes me look bad.

About the clothing, well, there's ridiculous done well, and ridiculous that's been haphazardly thrown together. I just wish there were a little more forethought when it comes to people's characters. It's not that big of an issue, anyway. It doesn't impact my enjoyment of the game at all. Just an unfortunate eyesore. The gripes get more serious as they approach #1, naturally.

Now I can understand if you're yakking it up with your friends, genuinely having a good time, but I'm talking about random players here, people with whom I have absolutely no connection (well, nothing beyond a network one). I routinely find their commentaries irrelevant, unnecessary and downright silly, in addition to interfering with my hearing and concentration. This is surely some sort of corollary to the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory. Then again, I consider the LIVE community to be...oh, how did Kenobi put it? A wretched hive of scum and villainy. At its worst, it is hateful, racist, homophobic, close-minded and preening. At its best, it is stupid and obnoxious. Maybe there's an untapped well of shiny, happy people somewhere in the farthest corner of the Internet, men and women who are amiable, agreeable and civilized, but I've never seen it.

Even if you don't like the free material, it doesn't take up that much space, and it expands your playlist. Why wouldn't you want to experience every song at your disposal? Some of these songs need time to mature (grow on you, that is), and a quick judgment shuts that away for a long time.

Sure, I have some tracks that I don't particularly like listening to - Blink-182 and Angels and Airwaves come to mind - but I bought them because 1) I believe every bit of DLC for the game is released for a good reason, 2) there are some interesting things going on in some of the charts and 3) there will be people out there who will want to play them.

My whole DLC argument would be swiftly silenced if Harmonix somehow implemented a Band Quickplay filter, one that would scan for players of certain levels of skill and certain cutoffs of DLC. Until that happens, which I predict is never, I must keep abandoning poor player after player in the lobby. It's nothing personal, of course. (I must say, DLC Quickplay  has been quite the wonder, though. I've found plenty of decent folks with plenty of DLC on that site.)

@Romination:THAT'S RIGHT. YOU BETTER RUN!
    A Likely Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By A Likely Story
    @KampfVerein: Haha, not trying to appear as an ass, just though I'd add my $0.02. You do make some good points, particularly about the shit that Xbox Live players spew all over the space when they open their mouths, and that Rock Band really, REALLY needs some sort of DLC filter.  

And yes, the terrible taste in music by some Rock Band players makes me want to pull a van Gogh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.