Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Rock Band 3 spices up the brand with the addition of a keyboard peripheral as well as "Pro Mode," and offers eighty-three new songs to rock out to.

RB1 Drums finally bit the dust...what now?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

Hey guys,

So I've had Rockband for quite some time, and still have been using the original RB1 drums for a long time.  The individual pads inside the drums seemed to be cracking, and finally this weekend the red pad stopped recognizing hits to it.

Anyway, any suggestions on what drum set to pick up?  I was checking out one of the ION sets on Amazon for $134...and then also started looking at the Beatles Rock Band set.  i figure the limited edition set was $120, and that came with the game, guitar, and drums...which is probably the better deal.

Any thoughts?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Malakhii

You can get the Special Value bundle of the Beatles for $90 on amazon. That has the guitar and mic too, so it's a pretty good deal. 

Kaburorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Kaburorne

I wouldn't be able to tell you about the ION kit, but I have a Beatles drum kit, and I would highly recommend it. It is a huge improvement over the RB1 set.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Malakhii said:
    " You can get the Special Value bundle of the Beatles for $90 on amazon. That has the guitar and mic too, so it's a pretty good deal.  "
    Whatever you do, don't get the value bundle! It's the Beatles game with RB1 instruments. Not worth it. 

Any drum kit that isn't the RB1 model will probably serve you just fine, though. 

I have the IONs, and while they're awesome, they're also pretty huge, harder to play, and obviously more expensive. If you're not serious about the game, I'd say avoid them.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By 234r2we232

Any of the new sets - RB2/Beatles/RB3 - are fine plastic instruments :P. The RB3's come with the cymbals for Pro Mode adaption, however, you can also buy those separately for your RB2/Beatles kit, if you so want.

As JJ mentioned, the IONs are the best thing in the universe if you're remotely serious about your RB drumming. I've never heard a negative word about the IONs, but all opinions (conveniently enough!) come from serious drumming peeps - not including myself, my poor hand/foot coordination skills would be wasted on them!

Good luck.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By zityz

My RB2 drums are on the fritz as well. I'm going to wait until next year to bother getting new ones. My red drum pad gives out from time to time and just stops working mid song. or the yellow and blue will hit together or they wont work sometimes. they had a good run for 2 years. Id say get those. Those things have taken a beating as well with tons of useage. So if your not serious I'd say gor for those, your get a lot of mileage out of that kit for what they charge you.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Just do what my friend did. I don't condone this as it's shady as hell.

Go to Best Buy (or whatever electronics shop you prefer) and buy the RB2 bundle. 

Carefully remove the RB2 drums from the box and replace with old RB1 drums. Immediately return to Best Buy.

Rock out with your free drums and feel the karma burn your soul as someone opens their new RB2 set (for whatever reason) and be sorely disappointed.

I'm sure they play better music in hell anyway.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nintendoeats
    @wolf_blitzer85: Thats evil. he could have at least complained that the box did not contain drums when he opened it. Which would still be evil, but just barely less so.

Rock Revolution is 10 bucks at Gamestop...

Seriously, any form of RB2 drums are awesome, though you may want to pick up the RB3 ones if you plan to get that game anyway.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @wolf_blitzer85: You condone it if you're recommending it. Durp-a-durr. 

Buy RB2/RB3 drums. IONs are sweet, but they do have a couple of issues. One of them, of course, is that they're customizable; as a result, they are far less sturdy than their RB2 counterparts, and will move a little bit with each hit unless you make them EXTREMELY tight. This is NOT something you want happening to your kit in the middle of gameplay. The other issue is that your friends will need to rearrange them to their own desires too; this will considerably lengthen the time you spend waiting before you get to play, something that slows down the momentum while trying to play a game you've been playing for three years now. 

Keep one thing in mind if you buy the ION kit; it comes with a specific tool that is used to tighten the kit. Don't lose it. 

As for Pro Drums on RB3, buy the RB3 kit; the ION is actually short one cymbal required to play pro mode. 

If you need a new guitar/microphone, you should see if you can find any Guitar Hero World Tour guitars; these are the most responsive guitars yet built by Harmonix, RedOctane, or MadCatz. Otherwise, a lot of guitar purchasing is personal preference; the next most popular guitars are the RB2 Stratocaster guitar and the GH3 Les Paul guitar. As for microphones, the best microphone yet built for music games is the microphone controller by Harmonix; built into the side of the microphone are a D-Pad and buttons so that a controller is no longer required to control vocals, and a lock feature is present to keep you from hitting buttons during gameplay. 

That's about the most information I can give; beyond that, bundles are nice, and though I haven't played with the official Beatles materials, they're probably rather nice. DON'T buy the Beatles Special Value bundle, as there are simply better deals out there.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    "  I'm sure they play better music in hell anyway. "
    These guys can confirm that.

No Caption Provided
    They've never been happier.  :P
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @nintendoeats said:

" @wolf_blitzer85: Thats evil. he could have at least complained that the box did not contain drums when he opened it. Which would still be evil, but just barely less so.  Rock Revolution is 10 bucks at Gamestop...  Seriously, any form of RB2 drums are awesome, though you may want to pick up the RB3 ones if you plan to get that game anyway. "

So are there actually RB3 drums? I just thought the cymbals were the only thing new about drums this time around. If so what's different about them?

My RB2 drums are still in good shape because I got the silencers for the pads, so they're like brand new, but a cymbal port is starting to shit out on me, which is no good. My crash cymbal to be exact and after lots of playing in that style, it is damn near impossible for me to go back to 2 cymbals and the green pad. It just feels like all sorts of wrong.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By nintendoeats
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @nintendoeats said:

" @wolf_blitzer85: Thats evil. he could have at least complained that the box did not contain drums when he opened it. Which would still be evil, but just barely less so.  Rock Revolution is 10 bucks at Gamestop...  Seriously, any form of RB2 drums are awesome, though you may want to pick up the RB3 ones if you plan to get that game anyway. "

So are there actually RB3 drums? I just thought the cymbals were the only thing new about drums this time around. If so what's different about them?  My RB2 drums are still in good shape because I got the silencers for the pads, so they're like brand new, but a cymbal port is starting to shit out on me, which is no good. My crash cymbal to be exact and after lots of playing in that style, it is damn near impossible for me to go back to 2 cymbals and the green pad. It just feels like all sorts of wrong. "
    Sorry, I was referring to OP. I'm not sure if the RB3 Drums are different beyond the inclusion of the cymbals. I'd imagine not, I can't imagine how those drums could be significantly (unless they had weights in the bottom to keep them stationary...)
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MightyDuck

Thank you for all the feedback guys.

At first, I was leaning towards the ion drums because I thought it would be fun with the cymbals.  I've been playing the "real" drums for about 10 years.  However, with the Beatles set, I get the drums, the game, and the guitar for roughly a few bucks cheaper.  I was also thinking of picking up the MadCatz cymbal pack as well possibly down the road.  We'll see though.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By melcene

Hmmm good thread.  We need to pick up a new drumset too, as our red pad keeps coming off during gameplay, and its probably only a matter of time until it stops registering hits like the OP.  Guess we'll have to look into the Ion.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By alwaysbeclothing
    @GetWhatYagive: That's what I ended up doing, I bought the Beatles Limited Edition Full Band Kit for $80 and the cymbals expansion for $33.  Since I only had Guitar Hero Guitars it was nice to use the effects switch on the bass guitar.  Drums are working well, no double hits and its nice to play on something wireless.  The cymbals were kind of a huge pain in the ass to assemble though, the instructions need additional supplemental information.

Edit:  From my research, RB3 drums are basically Rb2 drums.  Also Beatles Drums are just RB2 drums as well.  Each iteration probably has some hardware changes but essentially they're the same, I just went with what was cheapest.
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MightyDuck
    @AlwaysBeClothing: 
    Thanks a ton for the info.  I think I'll do that then.  I just picked up Rock Band 3 a few weeks ago, so am wanting to get back into the drumming portion.  I'll pick up the Beatles Rock Band and then pick up some of those MadCatz cymbals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.