Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rockstar Games

Company »

Rockstar Games publish many original (and sometimes controversial) franchises from their various studios around the world. They are most famous for their work on the Grand Theft Auto series.

Do you think Rockstar should make a sandbox game with superpowers

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dudacles

So there have been a lot of sandbox games these days that star a character with supernatural powers, such as the likes of Prototype and InFamous. Now, I thought GTAIV was absolutely superb, and its gameplay was the exact opposite of those games' concept. I wonder though, would a sandbox game by Rockstar where the main character has superpowers be good?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

A lot? If you look at the last decade, maybe. Other than Prototype and inFamous, which ones are there? The only others I can name are Spiderman 2 and Crackdown.

For your original question, yes. Grand Theft Auto: Krypton.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheFreeMan
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " A lot? If you look at the last decade, maybe. Other than Prototype and inFamous, which ones are there? The only others I can name are Spiderman 2 and Crackdown.For your original question, yes. Grand Theft Auto: Krypton. "
    Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 3, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, the Incredible Hulk movie game, and I believe that Web of Shadows and Superman Returns were both open-world/sandbox.
    dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#4  Edited By dudacles
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " A lot? If you look at the last decade, maybe. Other than Prototype and inFamous, which ones are there? The only others I can name are Spiderman 2 and Crackdown.
    Well, yeah, maybe you're right. It just feels as though there are a lot of those games these days. But maybe that's because Prototype and InFamous are such high-profile games, and I know of few recent sandbox games that do not feature superpowers, like GTAIV.
    Stunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stunt

I think there's way too many out there right now for Rockstar to make one. Rockstar's an excellent developer, people are influenced by them, not the other way around.

true3man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By true3man

Sounds like something Rockstar could do really well. And with the GTA series taking a more subtle and mature approach it could also be a good vent for the more crazy Rockstar ideas.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Phished0ne
    @true3man said:
    " Sounds like something Rockstar could do really well. And with the GTA series taking a more subtle and mature approach it could also be a good vent for the more crazy Rockstar ideas. "
    subtle? the GTA series has consistantly been one of the least subtle, i mean yes the stories have gotten a little more mature over time but..i really think even GTA 4  is a far-cry from subtle. 

But, that aside, I think Rockstar could make a pretty good "Superhero" game, given they could come up with a decent story,  but i dont know if i would want them to.  I think i might be done with superhero games for a long time after Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 comes out.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @TheFreeMan said:
    " @Video_Game_King said:
    " A lot? If you look at the last decade, maybe. Other than Prototype and inFamous, which ones are there? The only others I can name are Spiderman 2 and Crackdown.For your original question, yes. Grand Theft Auto: Krypton. "
    Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 3, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, the Incredible Hulk movie game, and I believe that Web of Shadows and Superman Returns were both open-world/sandbox. "
    I thought USM was much more linear than the others, but I may be confusing it with something else.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheFreeMan
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @TheFreeMan said:
    " @Video_Game_King said:
    Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 3, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, the Incredible Hulk movie game, and I believe that Web of Shadows and Superman Returns were both open-world/sandbox. "
    I thought USM was much more linear than the others, but I may be confusing it with something else. "
    USM was linear, but it was still free-roaming in a open-world environment.

It was painfully short, too :(
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By tekmojo

Yea they could pull it off, but I don't think the realism direction they have going would make any room for super-hero game on their agenda.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By asurastrike

I think Rockstar should make a sandbox game that controls well... zing

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo

No... Rockstar could never compete with Crackdown.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Karmum
    @Vinchenzo:
    Well, Rockstar has been pushing for more realistic video games (GTA IV in comparison to prior GTA games), so I don't think they'd pull it off too well. Crackdown and the GTA series are quite different, too.
    Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I'd rather see them do a regular GTA game with Red Faction destruction.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Illmatic

It would be interesting to see a much more mature and serious take on an open world superhero game. Prototype's attempt at a mature story wasn't really delivered well and inFamous took a more comic book style approach. A grounded story and mood would be pretty cool if handled correctly.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Hamz

Providing the story and characters were original and not using licensed superhero characters then sure. I'd love to see them do something like that.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By tekmojo
    @Oriental_Jams said:
    " I'd rather see them do a regular GTA game with Red Faction destruction. "
    Agreed.
    OmarStyles9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OmarStyles9

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas HD. That game is crazy enough as it is, and you could'nt possible complain about it being released.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By TheGreatGuero

While not made by Rockstar, I'm pretty sure that Crackdown is made by the creator of GTA. You're kind of like a superhero in that game.

Anyway, I'm gonna have to rule against this idea. The thing about Rockstar is they keep their games very mature, very gritty and violent, etc. I think they're the best third party developer around today. Those guys are kings of the industry right now. Superheroes just don't seem very fitting to their style. Plus, Rockstar really likes to take a focus on reality, and I dig that. Not to say that their games are completely realistic, but they do keep things within the realm of reality. They do a great job of incorporating that human element into their games, which I think would certainly be lost if they stepped into fantasy land and superheroes.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By dsplayer1010

The people at Rockstar have a lot of talent, so I think they could make a good one.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PureRok
    @Asurastrike: It's never a good thing to write the zing to your own joke.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By asurastrike
    @PureRok said:
    " @Asurastrike: It's always a good thing to write the zing to your own joke. "
    Fixed.
    Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Optiow

I think it could be cool.

rlfriar0256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By rlfriar0256

yes, that would be good......

let us create our own character, create our own costume, so if we dont like presets, we can do our own thing...

lets us control the more subtle details, like physique, eye color, sound of voice, etc.... 

dont do a 'Good or Evil' thing....make it so we can be whoever we want to be...

give us a option to choose graphics to be either more realistic looking, or more cartoony...

and lastly, if we dont like the superpowers options you give us, give the option to create our own powers...

oh,  yeah, maybe create a battle pose for your character....and create your own running animation, jumping animation, etc.

(My character would run and jump, Naruto-style!)

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By jonnyboy

Yeah I want to fry that hooker with my laser-vision to get my money back!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

No, I don't think so. The weakest part of Rockstars GTA series is the combat. Even GTA IV, after a long development process, and a lot of refinement of the combat system, it still wasn't great. It was fine, and far better than III, Vice City and San Andreas, but it was still no where near perfect. Super Hero games are very dependent on combat, and have much much more complex and diverse combat systems than GTA games. So, based on that, I don't think they would pull it off very well. If they did pull it off, it would be awesome, but I don't think they would.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.