Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row 2

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

The clone that surpassed the original returns with the even more over-the-top sequel to Volition's popular open-world mayhem generator, Saints Row.

My thoughts on Saints Row 2

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By EvilDingo

I recently got hold on Saints Row 2, and must say that I'm really enjoying it. The whole "customize-yourself" aspect of this game is truly impressing and time absorbing.

While I am enjoying it a lot more than I did GTA4, I'll try not to get to much into to the already overplayed "SR2 is better than GTA4"-argument, since I do have gripes with the game. I'm aware that this game has more in common with GTA:SA - however again I feel it's more

As many people have mentioned on the net following things are better/more fun than later GTA-games:
    • Driving is a lot more fun, and the fact that you can come from point A to B without trashing you car before a mission is gold.
    • The fact that you can save what seems to be an endless number of cars in your garage is great - AND that you can recall a car you've accidently destroyed is even better. I really couldn't see any reason to pimp out any car in GTA:SA, since I knew I'd probably loose it at some point.
    • I find melee fighting more fun. When you hold a gun and do a secondary attack you do a crutch-kick - which is awesome.
    • Territory wars are more fun and less intrusive that those found in GTA:SA.
    • You don't have to eat, work-out or take people on dates to maintain some sort of favorable bonus.
    • You can at any time replay previous missions.
    • There seems to be more weapons in SA2 and they are pretty varied.

Now I get to some few things I've noticed that are not quite up to par in SA2:
    • Car/people spawning/disappearing  is even worse than GTA3. Seriously, a car can drive by you and while you still can hear it's engine, and when you turn around it will be gone. I've numerous times spotted a car I've wanted, drove past it to block with my current car - just to find it has magically disappeared. I just hope at some point these kind of games will feature spawning that far enough away to actually be somewhat believable. 
    • I find the weapon/food-selection mechanic cumbersome. Especially I find It pretty hectic to find and activate some food in the middle of a firefight - and that's honestly the only time you would need to activate it, since health is regenerating if you've pulled yourself out of the line of fire.
    • Man I would love to have a breadcrum-trail in these kind of games. Looking at the GPS while driving is actually kind of annoying... For some reason I was actually under the impression that Saints Row (and thus Saints Row 2) featured such a mechanic. But since I've never owned Saint Row, I probably just remember reviews mentioning the trail on the GPS, since that was a big plus over the GTA-series at the time.
    • I guess it would be nice if there were a bit more smaller diversions. Like the ability to play pool, since several of your cribs feature a pool-table.
    • With all the customization you are able to do to your person, it would be kind of nice if you were able to save these settings.

That is some of what I've noticed about the game so far, but I haven't completed it yet though... I haven't completed GTA:SA or GTA4 either... but I must say, I think it's more likely that I complete this game. Although at the moment I'm in no hurry since I find plenty of non-story things to do in the game.
    EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EvilDingo

I recently got hold on Saints Row 2, and must say that I'm really enjoying it. The whole "customize-yourself" aspect of this game is truly impressing and time absorbing.

While I am enjoying it a lot more than I did GTA4, I'll try not to get to much into to the already overplayed "SR2 is better than GTA4"-argument, since I do have gripes with the game. I'm aware that this game has more in common with GTA:SA - however again I feel it's more

As many people have mentioned on the net following things are better/more fun than later GTA-games:
    • Driving is a lot more fun, and the fact that you can come from point A to B without trashing you car before a mission is gold.
    • The fact that you can save what seems to be an endless number of cars in your garage is great - AND that you can recall a car you've accidently destroyed is even better. I really couldn't see any reason to pimp out any car in GTA:SA, since I knew I'd probably loose it at some point.
    • I find melee fighting more fun. When you hold a gun and do a secondary attack you do a crutch-kick - which is awesome.
    • Territory wars are more fun and less intrusive that those found in GTA:SA.
    • You don't have to eat, work-out or take people on dates to maintain some sort of favorable bonus.
    • You can at any time replay previous missions.
    • There seems to be more weapons in SA2 and they are pretty varied.

Now I get to some few things I've noticed that are not quite up to par in SA2:
    • Car/people spawning/disappearing  is even worse than GTA3. Seriously, a car can drive by you and while you still can hear it's engine, and when you turn around it will be gone. I've numerous times spotted a car I've wanted, drove past it to block with my current car - just to find it has magically disappeared. I just hope at some point these kind of games will feature spawning that far enough away to actually be somewhat believable. 
    • I find the weapon/food-selection mechanic cumbersome. Especially I find It pretty hectic to find and activate some food in the middle of a firefight - and that's honestly the only time you would need to activate it, since health is regenerating if you've pulled yourself out of the line of fire.
    • Man I would love to have a breadcrum-trail in these kind of games. Looking at the GPS while driving is actually kind of annoying... For some reason I was actually under the impression that Saints Row (and thus Saints Row 2) featured such a mechanic. But since I've never owned Saint Row, I probably just remember reviews mentioning the trail on the GPS, since that was a big plus over the GTA-series at the time.
    • I guess it would be nice if there were a bit more smaller diversions. Like the ability to play pool, since several of your cribs feature a pool-table.
    • With all the customization you are able to do to your person, it would be kind of nice if you were able to save these settings.

That is some of what I've noticed about the game so far, but I haven't completed it yet though... I haven't completed GTA:SA or GTA4 either... but I must say, I think it's more likely that I complete this game. Although at the moment I'm in no hurry since I find plenty of non-story things to do in the game.
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Discorsi

You know you can set your own "trail" manually by clicking on the place you want to go to on your gps (the one you open when you press select) unless you already knew that and are complaining about looking at the little circle constantly which i had no problem with.  I was okay with the whole health thing because the game is supposed to be about you being a badass and I always ran away if I ever was low on health.  Hence I smoked blunts when I had full health just to make my character feel more badass although that is kind of immature lol.  But yeah I agree with you about the car thing which was hella annoying at certain times.

Have fun with the game. I know I did :D.  3rd street muthafucka

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I agree, and Saints Row 2 has given me a lot of fun.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EvilDingo
    Discorsi said:
    "... unless you already knew that and are complaining about looking at the little circle constantly..."
    That pretty much what I was complaining about :-)
    I was talking about a trail like the one I can understand is available in Fable 2.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust

Saints Row 2 is a helluva lot of fun.  My hero is a chick in a mini-skirt and high heels with a flame-thrower. 

I get lost sometimes too, especially during chase scenes.  And, while I sometimes wish for more interaction with your NPC friends, the way I play the game is usually in short spurts of one or two missions, then on to something else.  Having to deal and remember relationships would probably screw up my play style.  And, that jump in and play quality is what makes it fun and different from GTA IV.  Steal a car, kill some Ronin, buy some clothes, shoot up a club, get hooking skill up, steal an armored car, drive back to my crash-pad, save and quit.  Mindless fun!

zuffdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By zuffdaddy

Well put!

This game trumps GTA IV in all ways minus graphically. If Saints Row 2 had the lighting engine it would be such a perfect game.

I do wish you could play pool in this game, though..

And btw, you CAN replay missions at purchased cribs at the "Bulletin Board".

atlantabrave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By atlantabrave04

Just rented Saints Row 2 and I still can't say it's necessarily better than GTAIV. Even though it may take itself less seriously, packing more action and crazyness in, I still feel like GTAIV's atmosphere was almost perfect. While playing GTAIV, I felt like I was literally in a crime drama, not just running around a sand box causing mayhem. For this reason, among others including polish, cover systems, and graphics, I still have to say that GTAIV is the better game.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By raddevon
    @EvilDingo: Which platform are you playing on?
    EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EvilDingo
    @raddevon:  
    I was playing the game on PS3. Don't know if that changes anything though. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60

I got incredibly bored with Saints Row 2 Incredibly fast.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By raddevon
    @EvilDingo: It doesn't change anything you said. The reason I ask is because of what you didn't say. I came really close to picking up the Direct2Drive deal on the PC version of the game. They are running it for $5 this week. I have seen other reviews that mentioned problems with the game that you haven't mentioned at all. I was half hoping you had the PC version, and the problems had been patched out or were exaggerated. It seems that may not be the case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.