Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row IV

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

When invading aliens capture the Saints and imprison their minds in a digital recreation of Steelport, it's up to the Boss (who by now has become the President of the United States) to free Earth from its oppressive new overlords.

Having trouble with one of CID's rift missions.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I'm doing the first projectile rift that CID sends you on (the one where you have to throw the balls at the towers) and I just cannot do it. I've tried dozens of times and I just can't beat it. I know I must be doing something wrong, but the game isn't communicating that to me at all. I have greatly reduced explosive and fire damage, so I'm not taking as much from each hit, but I feel like the balls are exploding on me before they even reach the platform. And a number of times, I'll be hit by one ball, and then several directly after as I'm recovering.

I don't understand how I'm supposed to effectively dodge the balls, or if there's a strategy I'm missing? I've tired standing in one place and being methodical, I've tried jumping around and being a spaz, and everything in between. I really want to beat this fucking rift and get it out of the way, it's the only thing that's gating my progress so far.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#2 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Ignore the balls being shot up by the launchers when you are being shot at and instead catch the balls being shot at you by the targets. If there are multiple being shot at you, throw the caught balls as quickly as you can.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Huh.

You grab the balls as they are heading towards you and throw them at the towers. If they have reached you, it's too late, they will explode. They're shooting you, you need to grab them and throw them back. The balls should never get close enough to you to explode.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Are you color blind? If they aren't of the same color, they don't do any damage.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Nubster

@sgtsphynx: I do ignore the ones that are launched up from the tubes, I only concentrate on the ones shot from the tower. However, when I get to the final placement (the one with almost a dozen towers), I always get hit by the balls that are coming from off-screen. I've gotten it down to where I can get to the final towers with minimal trouble, but I've just been banging my head against it every time I try.

@deegee: Well yeah. I get the objective of the rift, I just can't destroy the final run of towers. I'd love for them not to get close enough to explode, I really would.

@mooseymcman: Not colour blind, just bad at video games apparently? they just come in too fast for me to do anything. It wouldn't be so bad if they actually had to hit me to explode and do damage, but it seems like they explode when they get near the platform, not on contact with my character.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Just throw em' in the general direction of a target as long as it explodes near it you'll do damage. You don't have to be really accurate.

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
    fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fractal_seaweed

I haven't retried the mission yet myself, but something I noticed was that I seemed to get hit by projectiles from the towers - even though I was looking straight at the towers. They seemed to come at me from off screen because there's no way I could have missed them. ... Or maybe I'm horribly blind.

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

the balls that you throw at the towers rebound back to you. once i noticed this i didnt get hit again

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cloudnineboya

Whatever you do i repeat, 'do not eat the balls'

Wiseblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wiseblood

Doing all the insurance fraud activities first to get the no ragdoll from explosions upgrade (requires at least all silver medals I think) really helps a lot.

It also helps to back up a little once you activate the current of targets so you don't get blindsighted as much.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@wlleiotl said:

the balls that you throw at the towers rebound back to you. once i noticed this i didnt get hit again

what this duder said.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking

@wlleiotl said:

No shit? I beat all those challenges and never noticed that bit. Maybe I can go back and get golds there with this knowledge.

vech24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vech24

Also...if you're low on life, retreat further back in the zone for your health to regen and you can chip away at the final tower. If there's a deluge headed your way it's alright to catch/throw quick as hell without really aiming just to keep them from exploding and for you to get your bearings again.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

When it gets hectic, just throw the balls away, don't even bother aiming. You might hit something, you might not, but either way you saved yourself health.

I hate this section of the game. Probably the only activity they have you do (besides hacking) that isn't fun.

Gamer_5005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once you step onto the area to trigger that set of towers you can jump onto one of the adjacent platforms. All the balls it is shooting hit where you are supposed to stand and you can just stand back and grab the ones it is shooting at you without being hit by the ones that you miss.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By natetodamax

God I hated that. The difficult is actually Hard for that first one (in the easier ones the bombs don't explode when they come back).

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, got it on my first try today.

When I bought the explosive damage reduction, I was mid-activity, so it may not have triggered until I rage-quit and shit my pants. My health also didn't seem to be regenerating, so that may have just been a bug and also a pain in the ass.

Also I didn't know that the rebounded ones explode in your face. That would have been super handy to know. Thanks, Obama.

Anyways, fuck those rifts. And related, the telekinesis rift that Shaundi sent me on way way easier and I got gold without even getting hit. It's just the first one CID sends you on that sucks, apparently.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah i struggled with that one aswell on hardcore, get as many destroyed as you can as soon as your taking critical damage just back off far away and let your health regain then go back in, rinse and repeat! Done! GL!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.