Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scribblenauts

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

Developed by 5th Cell Media, Scribblenauts is a puzzle-action game for the Nintendo DS in which players can spawn thousands of objects from a vast database to aid in solving puzzles and overcoming obstacles... or just dicking around in silly and hilarious ways. The choice is yours!

Scribble Scrabble

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Over the past few months excitement has escalated and mutated wildly out of control for, unbelievably, a DS game. The nintendo DS, a system which seems to aim at quantity over quality, has seemingly adopted the humble Scribblenauts as it's social saviour. Finally, a DS game people can get excited about - with production values that encourage it's purchase rather than theft.

For a game with such ridiculously high expectations, it startles me to see such a simple concept. There's a simple puzzle, for example get a star out of a tree. You type in a noun, something appears. You use it to win.

Despite the optimistic marketing promising limitless potential, this is outweighed by fact. Fact: A single Nintendo DS cartridge does not contain enough memory to support functions art assets for every object in existence. The reason i'm finding it hard to get excited about this game is because it only takes one unrecognised object to shatter the illusion of complete freedom. Harsh as it may sound, this game is one tiny step away from being a disappointment.

The game can still be awesome. The game can still be a lot of fun. But whenever a product fails to make good on it's promises, I am always left with a sour after-taste. I know this makes me sound like a grouchy old man, but Scribblenauts is marketing itself as something which is, frankly, too good to be true.

It's your own fault Scribblenauts.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Over the past few months excitement has escalated and mutated wildly out of control for, unbelievably, a DS game. The nintendo DS, a system which seems to aim at quantity over quality, has seemingly adopted the humble Scribblenauts as it's social saviour. Finally, a DS game people can get excited about - with production values that encourage it's purchase rather than theft.

For a game with such ridiculously high expectations, it startles me to see such a simple concept. There's a simple puzzle, for example get a star out of a tree. You type in a noun, something appears. You use it to win.

Despite the optimistic marketing promising limitless potential, this is outweighed by fact. Fact: A single Nintendo DS cartridge does not contain enough memory to support functions art assets for every object in existence. The reason i'm finding it hard to get excited about this game is because it only takes one unrecognised object to shatter the illusion of complete freedom. Harsh as it may sound, this game is one tiny step away from being a disappointment.

The game can still be awesome. The game can still be a lot of fun. But whenever a product fails to make good on it's promises, I am always left with a sour after-taste. I know this makes me sound like a grouchy old man, but Scribblenauts is marketing itself as something which is, frankly, too good to be true.

It's your own fault Scribblenauts.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

The DS aims for quantity over quality? Tell that to this list.  

By the way, we already know that the game supports somewhere in the range of over 100,000 words, which is a very impressive number. As someone who has played the game, let me tell you it will live up to everyones expectations. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

The DS is an excellent handheld with a plethora of excellent games.  You are selling it short for absolutely no reason whatsoever. 

Also, if you SERIOUSLY believe that it will call to life EVERYTHING you write, then YOU are the fool.  Over the course of time, seeing things like Seaman and Eyetoy games and etc etc etc should prove to you that it's not possible to call out EVERYTHING you write.  However, you CAN call out an unfathomable amount of things, which is just as good to me.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @AgentJ said:

" The DS aims for quantity over quality? Tell that to this list.   "

@jakob187 said:

" The DS is an excellent handheld with a plethora of excellent games.  You are selling it short for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  "

Ok fine, maybe I was a little harsh. This is me being grouchy and writing a grouchy blog. I'm just bored of playing Hotel Dusk and Mario Kart.

@jakob187 said:

" Also, if you SERIOUSLY believe that it will call to life EVERYTHING you write, then YOU are the fool."

That's kind of the point of this blog? 

Sweep said:

Scribblenauts is marketing itself as something which is, frankly, too good to be true.

I'm going to wait and see how people react to the game before I make any further comment.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @Sweep said:
    " @AgentJ said:

" The DS aims for quantity over quality? Tell that to this list.   "

@jakob187 said:

" The DS is an excellent handheld with a plethora of excellent games.  You are selling it short for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  "

Ok fine, maybe I was a little harsh. This is me being grouchy and writing a grouchy blog. I'm just bored of playing Hotel Dusk and Mario Kart.

@jakob187 said:

" Also, if you SERIOUSLY believe that it will call to life EVERYTHING you write, then YOU are the fool."

That's kind of the point of this blog? 

Sweep said:

Scribblenauts is marketing itself as something which is, frankly, too good to be true. 

"
    Here's a secret. If you are bored of playing Hotel Dusk and Mario Kart, don't play them. Instead, pick up one of the other games on that list i provided.  

Really though, I wish you luck in finding any word that isn't a proper noun or dirty object that doesn't appear in the game. The game has things like  "lutefisk" for gods sake. 
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ZeroCast

@Sweep said:

"...it only takes one unrecognised object to shatter the illusion of complete freedom."

I don't get you Sweep, it's too good to be true because it might not have a word you desire?  

The game was designed to take on hundreds of words, if one word isn't going to be their then I won't be irritated, I'll just take it as it is and continue playing with all other possibilities, which are -even with the DS's limitations - enormous. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

I've come to terms with the fact that it can't contain every conceivable noun some time ago. To me the fun is experimenting to see what does work, and if one of my ideas doesn't work then there's sure to be a suggested word that I hadn't even thought of.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ThomasP

People are obviously going to be able to think of a word that isn't in the game... it doesn't matter. Scribblenauts is fail-proof because of its unique, simple concept and superb marketing. It's a game that anyone can pick up and play, and I think it's going to be loads of fun.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

Sorry Sweep, I agree with the overall sentiment here that Scribblenauts doesn't need to recognize every single word to be a success. What I've seen already far surpasses my usual expectations for a game of this nature. It's a unique idea that's been extremely well executed.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator

The general public consensus seems to be that i'm being a bit of an idiot. I'm going back to blogging about why Braid is awesome...

:(

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's ok Sweep. Even though the last person to tell us that Scribblenauts will be a flop was Smug, we still all love you. But in a non sexual manner. I hope.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @Sweep said:
    " The general public consensus seems to be that i'm being a bit of an idiot. I'm going back to blogging about why Braid is awesome...    :( "
    Braid is mediocre at best, though.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Vinchenzo said:
    " Braid is mediocre at best, though. "

Oh hell no...
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By c1337us

I get the point you were trying to make, it makes some sort of sense even if I don't completely agree with it. And at least you didn't try to win people over to your point of view with nothing but a list. Good for you.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Kohe321

Game looks awesome!

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By jacksukeru

Wow that game looks pretty awesome! thanks for posting this.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentJ
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " It's ok Sweep. Even though the last person to tell us that Scribblenauts will be a flop was Smug, we still all love you. But in a non sexual manner. I hope. "
    ah Smug, was he banned, or is he just taking a god given sabbatical?
    RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By RedSox8933

This just in!!!

22, 802 words.

That's actually more than I thought would be in the game.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond
    @AgentJ said:

By the way, we already know that the game supports somewhere in the range of over 100,000 words, which is a very impressive number. As someone who has played the game, let me tell you it will live up to everyones expectations.

Hackers hacked the ROM and found the game only supports 22,000 words, and only has 4000 unique objects...

Anyways, a friend acquired this game, and I gave it a shot, and I'm glad I wasn't too hyped for it.  I played a bit of the single player, and messed around on the title screen.  The controls are annoying, selecting a moving character, or when the camera is scrolling it's extremely hard to get anything done.

I tried summoning vinegar and baking soda, they don't mix.  I tried putting reactive chemicals in water, nothing.  I tried killing a fish by putting poison in the water, nothing.  I was able to safely carry around plutonium.  The game missed a lot of objects I could think of, and others never worked as I intended.

On the plus side I was able to summon a succubus, to my knowledge the naughtiest thing in the game.

edit - and for what it's worth, I didn't find the experience fun.
    Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Babble
    @Sweep:  

Finally a DS game people can get excited about? I think there are a ton of things DS fans are excited about, but coming out soon or games people are still enjoying.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24

I know that this game won't have every single word in the English language but the idea enough is reason for me to get excited about it. I think I am just going to have fun with its weird, funny idea more than I will with its absence of a bunch of words. Still, 22,802 words is a HUGE number.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AgentJ
    @Diamond said:
    " @AgentJ said:

Hackers hacked the ROM and found the game only supports 22,000 words, and only has 4000 unique objects...  Anyways, a friend acquired this game, and I gave it a shot, and I'm glad I wasn't too hyped for it.  I played a bit of the single player, and messed around on the title screen.  The controls are annoying, selecting a moving character, or when the camera is scrolling it's extremely hard to get anything done.  I tried summoning vinegar and baking soda, they don't mix.  I tried putting reactive chemicals in water, nothing.  I tried killing a fish by putting poison in the water, nothing.  I was able to safely carry around plutonium.  The game missed a lot of objects I could think of, and others never worked as I intended.  On the plus side I was able to summon a succubus, to my knowledge the naughtiest thing in the game.  edit - and for what it's worth, I didn't find the experience fun. "
    Hrm , I could have sworn I read 100,000 somewhere, but even a fifth of that is still impressive. I would like to see where you got those numbers from though.  

Still though, seems like you're being quite the negative nancy. First of all, nothing actually hurts the character you play as, so of course you'd be able to carry it around safely. Secondly, I can see why poison wouldn't necessairily work in water, especially if its some sort of powder and just floats on the surface. as for vinegar and baking powder, i'm frankly impressed that both even appear in the game. With the scope of a game like this, they are bound to miss a few things 

By the way, what were some of the words you tried to use that didn't work?
    RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RenegadeSaint

I think you're being too harsh.  If it will only take one unrecognized word to ruin the game for you, then you're taking the game too seriously.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AgentJ
    @dcpc10 said:
    " @AgentJ: He got those numbers from HERE. "
    Yeah, I just saw that. Still though, even a fifth of what I had heard was going to be in the game is very impressive 
    I wonder if I heard "over 10,000 and carried the comma over one too far :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.