Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow Complex

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 19, 2009

Reluctant hero Jason Fleming investigates a hidden underground complex to rescue his girlfriend Claire in this Metroid-style action-adventure game.

This article makes me feel a little dirty having bought this game

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Hannibal

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24627

I know this is a really partisan issue and I don't want to start a huge debate, but I'm really glad that Chair didn't allow Orson Scott Card's political beliefs to bleed into the game.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

ah, the wise minds of NeoGAF

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Metroid545

I actually feel even better that I bought this now

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Bigandtasty
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

As allways the ultra liberals belief is paramount.
    ""any one that doesn't think the way i do, and doesn't have my beliefs deserves no money, food, or life for that matter""

A game that has nothing to do with a persons beliefs should be boycotted or you should offset the profit that orson scott card makes by donating to a gay foundation.

which is why i take the middle road, ill buy the game i could care less what the maker, or whatever has as his belief structure as long as its not personally affecting me.

P.S: the ultra conservative are just as bad mind you.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Novyx

Funny you say that, since the basis of Empire is basically that everyone is entitled to their beliefs, as long as they don't infringe on others'. Just because Orson Scott Card is Mormon and conservative doesn't mean he isn't a critical, thinking man who sees more than one might realize without reading his works. Empire is not especially kind to either doiminant viewpoint of the american political spectrum, but being as it was written at a time where republicans controlled the government, it was natural that he wrote it from the point of view of a liberal group as anti-government. It all makes sense, and the only ones he paints sympathetically are the moderates on either side, though again, he focuses on characters that share his beliefs, which are for the most part conservative. Now tell me, is it wrong for someone to disagree with your politics, to the point where you shut your mind to any chance that they might have worthwhile ideas that you can learn from? Extremism is the only enemy of reason. Any side of the spectrum is just fine, until it tries to deny the right of other views to exist.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By asurastrike

The first city that is going to be attacked is San Francisco. Think about it. :P

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

Christian Nutt wrote that, sorry, but I found his name kind of funny.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CoverlessTech

It Is NOT Orson Scott Card's Fiction

How the hell are sites like Gamasutra covering this saying "the game is derived from the fiction of Orson Scott Card"? Do these editors do any research at all? Fucking morons. The fiction(Empire) and property is OWNED by Chair, not Card. From Chairs twitter:

" Shadow Complex Fact: Empire is a ChAIR property. Orson Scott Card licensed the rights to write the novels on which the game is based."

Card licensed the right to write a book about the game's fiction, not the other way around.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By delta_ass
    @Claude said:
    " Christian Nutt wrote that, sorry, but I found his name kind of funny. "
    It's no Ding Dong.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Asurastrike said:
    " The first city that is going to be attacked is San Francisco. Think about it. :P "
    ahahah I missed that
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

People who take stands like these are silly. Shadow Complex is a good game, and Card is only tangentially connected. Even if you disagree with his beliefs, none of them even touch Shadow Complex (which is somewhat lacking in the story department), so in the end you are just depriving yourself of entertainment to take a stand against a cause that can only be very, very loosely connected with this game.

Also, this is from NeoGAF. /thread

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Snipzor
    @CoverlessTech: You are missing a few things here. 

1) Orson Scott Card wrote the bloody book, and is writting the second book in the series. 
    2) We do not know how he is receiving payment, whether it is royalties or straight up one time payment for use of the universe of Empire

I don't actually think you understand what is going on here, or even the proper order of things.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Whisperkill

Im middle of the road, I tend to lean to the right, but I hate both extremes, Orson Scott Card is pretty smart in his political opinions, except he is a homophobe.
    yarles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yarles

LIke many people here I couldn't care less about the story. Let's leave the controversy to NeoGAF and paid bloggers in desperate need of a subject.

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CoverlessTech
    @Snipzor: So Chair creates a universe and Card writes books based in that universe. Card was not involved in the story or development of the game, he was simply the author that got the right to write a book, Chair created Empire and the fiction. If Card got the rights to write a book based around the Halo Reach universe should people boycott that because of Card's belief? Hell no, because Card would have little to do with it, the fiction is already established just not in the medium he is presenting it in.

I under stand it clearly, I think it's everyone else who has it fuzzy. Chair created a universe and fiction, Card wrote a book based on that fiction, Chair made a game in the Universe with little if any involvement of Card. Now people are boycotting Chair based on the beliefs of Card which is ridiculous. It doesn't matter if the book came "first" the fiction is still owned by Chair not Card.

Boycott the book if you have a problem with Card but boycotting Shadow Complex is far beyond childish.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sickVisionz

Meh, who cares.  I didn't see any ultra conservative and homophobic stuff in the game.  The closest you get is that the main character has a girlfriend but it's not like there's lines in there like, "I love my opposite sex girlfriend, and so does Jesus" or something like that.

The only character with an "america is in a moral hellhole" attitude gets shot in the face at the end of the game.

I wouldn't directly donate money to this Card guy and I wouldn't goto a rally that he speaks at.  But this is just a game and a damn good one at that.  If some pro-queer guy makes a bad ass game i'll play it as well.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
    @Asurastrike said:
    " The first city that is going to be attacked is San Francisco. Think about it. :P "
    Should I be afraid? D:
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince

This is stupid. Because the man is anti gay, we should boycott his game. His game has nothing to do with his own personal beliefs. I mean it's not like there is any subliminal or even obvious anti gay messages in the game... So stupid.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By DrRandle

As a gay man, I couldn't give a shit less about this Orson fellow, one way or another. He didn't make the game. The game is awesome. Any sort of political message it would even attempt to convey would be lost in it's god-awful plot, but whatever, it's fun. Deal with it. Conversation over.

Zarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zarx

as someone who has read some of OSC's work and am familiar with his views I can say I don't agree with his views but I find him to be a great writer the plot of the game probably would have been much better if he wrote it. now saying that I belive that OSC has the right to his views even if I don't agree with them, in fact he doesn't overtly put his views in his works as far as I know but evin if he did I don't think that would change the quality of his work which is generally very thought provoking. boycotting something due to the beliefs of someone loosely associated with it is very stupid.    

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_A_Drain

Who cares?! So a gay-basher wrote a story that was entertaining provided you didn't bother to look into his whacko beliefs. It's no different to enjoying a Micheal Jackson song, or buying a stick of Chewing Gum. If everybody made all their thoughts and beleifs public then nobody would buy anything ever out of 'principal'.

As for not wanting to personally support the guy, again, who cares?! If the asshole wants to hold such ridiculous views that don't fit our modern society, let him, tolerance goes both ways after-all. It's not like he's walking away with bazillions of monies from this, he might get a few royalties, boo-fucking who, he'll get those whether you personally buy Shadow Complex or not, just buy the game if you like the look of it, and enjoy it for what it is.  

If you want to deprive yourself of a product because of your standards, I fully support you. However, at best this guy personally sees hardly anything out of this that he could not get by taking up any job offered to him. The Gay Gamer website is proposing that if you buy the game, you donate $15 to a charity, fuck that, you aren't handing this guy $15, as best he's seeing pennies out of this in per-copy royalties, if he is even getting per-copy royalties, if not then he's already had his wage and whether or not you buy the game, he still laughs all the way to the bank.

Fuck NeoGAF, I hate that place so much.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RsistncE
    @Snipzor: If the fiction is OWNED by Chair then Card will get no money from the game. Simple. In other words people are fucking idiots and blowing something they just interpreted as fact (when it's not) way out of proportion. 

Hey guys did you know that most of your oil comes from foreign countries which are notorious for human rights violations? OH NOES STOP BUYING TEH GAS.

People have been, are and always will be stupid AND hypocrites to boot.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RsistncE
    @The_A_Drain: For once my friend we are in full agreement haha.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @RsistncE said:
    " @The_A_Drain: For once my friend we are in full agreement haha. "

Haha :D It was gonna happen sooner or later :P
    Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hannibal
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " As allways the ultra liberals belief is paramount. ""any one that doesn't think the way i do, and doesn't have my beliefs deserves no money, food, or life for that matter""  A game that has nothing to do with a persons beliefs should be boycotted or you should offset the profit that orson scott card makes by donating to a gay foundation.  which is why i take the middle road, ill buy the game i could care less what the maker, or whatever has as his belief structure as long as its not personally affecting me.  P.S: the ultra conservative are just as bad mind you. "
    I think this is kind of ironic, since the issue is that Orson does not believe a minority who doesn't think the way he does deserves the rights he has.

The issue isn't that he doesn't deserve anything, it's whether or not one can feel good financially supporting a man who has contributed to an effort to suppress a minority, especially if you're a member of that minority. Personally it wouldn't have been enough of an issue to affect my purchase especially since someone other than Card wrote it and the universe is not his, but from what I've heard the book essentially makes extreme right wingers merely belligerent while making extreme left wingers insane.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @The_A_Drain said:
    Fuck NeoGAF, I hate that place so much. "
    Amen to that.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RsistncE
    @WilliamRLBaker: You're not realizing what the issue is here. The issue is that people don't want to be filling the coffers of a man who actively suppresses people from doing what they want. That's bad.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By toowalrus

You explore a complex and shoot dudes in the face, while finding a thousand collectibles, and looking  for your girlfriend. That's what the game is about.

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hannibal
    @TooWalrus: Nobody has issue with the content of the game. At least, not in this argument.
    tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By tactis

ehh whatever who cares about the author's political/religious belifes as long as the game is good
    Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Famov

I am a conservative who listens to an ultra liberal, Neil Young. I'm cool with that. I am also cool with playing games made by people who do not share my political beliefs, even as it concerns the civil liberties of minority social groups. 

It is when games enter this realm of Serious Business that I take a step back and a remind myself that games are meant primarily for fun. 

And I bet if we all knew the political beliefs of our favorite developers, we would be very surprised. Especially as it concerns Japanese devs, who likely have a very different belief system from us westerners.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.