Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue

Franchise »

Created by Yu Suzuki, the Shenmue franchise follows the story of Ryo Hazuki, the son of a martial arts master, as he searches for his father's killer. It was groundbreaking in its time, for its impressive graphics, realism, open-world adventure gameplay, real-time weather, NPC schedules, and of course QTE cut-scenes.

Shenmue 3.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By TheKing

Will we ever see it?
    Do you still even care?

HomoPocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HomoPocket

I still care, but I'm not holding my breath. If it comes it comes, if it doesn't then that's life. There are lots of other great games to play.

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By David

I'm not sure will we ever see it become reality but if it actually does come out I'll probably have my new favorite game of all time to play.
    At least if it's anything like it's predecessors.

We can only hope.

RabbitKarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By RabbitKarrot

I pray every night that it will come... They cant just stop the story half way, can they? :S

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By MadBootsy

Well...Simon Jeffery (Sega of America) noted at this years E3 that Shenmue III is the most requested game they get from fans....

I dunno. I'd like to think that sooner or later, Yu Suzuki and Sega will get their act together and make just one more Shenmue game.

Seriously Sega.

Stop making all of these terrible Sonic games and make something the fans really want.

ToastyJaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ToastyJaguar

I think it will come, they worked on the game and the technology has passed what the game was originally intended for so it could easily be ported to the Wii, assuming that they were close to finishing the game. We knew they lost lots of money developing the game but it must be cheaper now than it was for the Dreamcast. We could see it on the HD consoles but because of the extra tech involved i think they would be able to release it on the Wii like Sega have been doing with their other franchises like Samba Di Amigo and House of the Dead. I would prefer a new game for the new tech, but i just want to see the game out in my lifetime!

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pibo47
    TheKing said:
    "Will we ever see it?
    Do you still even care?
    "
    I never really thought these games were that good, so if one comes out, i wouldnt really care.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'd slaughter an African settlement of innocent men, women and children with my bare hands for a confirmation of Shenmue III.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tekmojo

bethesda is already makin shenmue 3

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TEAMHOLT

Another Shenmue game isn't ever going to happen. I'd like to see one, though, so long as it doesn't involve me standing on a corner and asking people if they want to play Lucky Hit.

If you really miss Shenmue, maybe you'll want to check out Yakuza. Not quite the same thing, but a lot of similarities.

UnsungHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UnsungHero
    caption
    caption
    2ndopp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 2ndopp

We'd like to think that we will see it.  Right now me and and members of ShenmueDojo and SegaNerds are mounting a campaign to convince Sega that Shenmue III is needed.  Or to give us Shenmue: The Complete Saga on one game.  If you love Shenmue, help us out and spread the word.

http://www.myspace.com/legendofshenmue
    and
    www.shenmuecampaign.com

Next month we will be doing a mass mailing of letters and toy capsules (like those found in Shenmue) to Sega of Japan.  Please join in and start mailing November 27th 2008 thru December 29th 2008 ( the dates are Dreamcast and Shenmue's anniversary

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
    TheKing said:
    "Will we ever see it?
    Do you still even care?
    "
    I don't think we'll ever see it. But boy oh boy do I care.

The moment SEGA release that all important trailer - I will probably break down into tears. I absolutely LOVE Shenmue.
    Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Lemegeton

i dont think we will ever see it and that pisses me off so much

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By AkumaX

It shall come one day, oh yes, it shall. Even if we have to wait another twenty years, I'd still forgive Sega for every retarded Sonic bullshit spin-off ever if they released Shenmue III.

mg66368

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mg66368

There are rumors that they'll end the series with a manga adaptation but I kinda don't care since I played Shenmue a long time ago when I rented as a child. I still don't remember much of it since as a kid I was bored of the game, I'm not sure If I'll like or dislike Shenmue if I'd play it again at my current age.

nima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By nima

Oh shenmue.  Shenmue belongs to one of my all time favourite games.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Diamond

I think the problem is Japanese just don't like Shenmue that much.  I'd rather get Shenmue games than Yakuza series games, but that's not what the Japanese seem to want.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Bah I really want Shenmue 3.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r

Because the game did so great in the West it's obviously just the East that doesn't want it eh?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Because the game did so great in the West it's obviously just the East that doesn't want it eh?"
    Responding to me?  I'm just basing this on what I hear from Japan now (forums and magazines and such).  The desire for a new Shenmue there is much lower than it is elsewhere.

The point is Sega is making games that are arguably similar to Shenmue on PS3-only and Japan-only (the latest 2 Ryu ga Gotoku games).  They could make a new Shenmue, but they're not.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

And what do you base demand for the game in the West on? SEGA fanboys in SEGA fanboy forums and the odd reference in a magazine? The Dreamcast as a whole flopped in the West, despite having two Shenmue games, why should they think bringing one more would revive the franchise and actually make profit? It didn't sell much on the Xbox either. It didn't make up for its cost in the East even. It's suicide to do another. Yakuza sells well and is not really the same type of game as it's more of a brawler than an adventure title. I'm sure Yakuza 3 will come to the West eventually, even if it's not a priority for them as the franchise is insanely more successful in the East. I suppose it's their own little Monster Hunter type franchise. SEGA still do creative games and they test the waters in both East and West. Valkyria Chronicles is another example of that. If they do a sequel and they don't bring it here, people will cry foul again, but the original didn't sell well, so much so there may not be a sequel at all. People remember SEGA's greatness with all the wrong timing, always after they have decided their fate by not buying them. All the Saturn classics, all the Dreamcast goodness, many of which got a second chance on other systems later, and more. Then they wonder why all the good SEGA games are merely published by them (Total War, House of the Dead: Overkill, etc) or why they keep making Sonic games (sales, duh).

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Meowayne

SEGA is making good money on the Wii right now. If Shenmue III comes, it will most probably be on the  Wii.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "And what do you base demand for the game in the West on? SEGA fanboys in SEGA fanboy forums and the odd reference in a magazine? The Dreamcast as a whole flopped in the West, despite having two Shenmue games, why should they think bringing one more would revive the franchise and actually make profit? It didn't sell much on the Xbox either. It didn't make up for its cost in the East even. It's suicide to do another. Yakuza sells well and is not really the same type of game as it's more of a brawler than an adventure title. I'm sure Yakuza 3 will come to the West eventually, even if it's not a priority for them as the franchise is insanely more successful in the East. I suppose it's their own little Monster Hunter type franchise. SEGA still do creative games and they test the waters in both East and West. Valkyria Chronicles is another example of that. If they do a sequel and they don't bring it here, people will cry foul again, but the original didn't sell well, so much so there may not be a sequel at all. People remember SEGA's greatness with all the wrong timing, always after they have decided their fate by not buying them. All the Saturn classics, all the Dreamcast goodness, many of which got a second chance on other systems later, and more. Then they wonder why all the good SEGA games are merely published by them (Total War, House of the Dead: Overkill, etc) or why they keep making Sonic games (sales, duh)."
    I agree the market might be small here, but there's no plans to sell the latest Ryu ga Gotoku games in the West at all.  It's the difference between potential sales and no sales at all.

Dreamcast didn't flop in the West, Sega just run out of money.  It was a business failure, not sales.  Sony also had the right direction at the time, so they were able to dominate easily.

I'm not sure what actually happened in Shenmue's development, the game could never had made a profit the way it was made.  Before GTA4 came out, it was the most expensive developed game ever.  Looking at stuff like Ryu ga Gotoku series, I think Sega has learned to be more efficient, or something.

The differences between the Yakuza and Shenmue series are really minor though.  Less quicktime battles in Yakuza, probably 50% more fighting at most.  Less interactive areas in Yakuza...  Ryu ga Gotoku 3 and Kenzan sold well in Japan, but didn't Yakuza 2 completely flop in the West?

Sega does pass up many opportunities.  Even recently, porting Outrun 2 to XBLA but not othering with titles people fondly remember like Daytona USA (probably a matter of licensing though, although they have all sorts of car licenses in Outrun 2).
    GameON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GameON
    Meowayne said:
    "SEGA is making good money on the Wii right now. If Shenmue III comes, it will most probably be on the  Wii."
    I would be surprised if it was not released on the PS3 since, as Al3xand3r mentioned, Yakuza is a similar game in many aspects and doing well.

Perhaps we'll see Shenmue 3 on PSN ala the new Siren episodes.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Al3xand3r

Flopped = didn't earn as much as they needed really. The Dreamcast should have done waaaaaay better considering what games they had available even before the PS2 reared its overhyped head. But everyone waited for that and its fabled emotion engine and super realism and true next gen instead of experience the next gen with what was already in front of them ready to be bought, ie Shenmue, Soul Calibur, and others. It took the PS2 at least a year after its release to catch up to the visuals the DC was already displaying, yet people still fell for Sony's hype machine believing it's a system 10x more powerful or something. Sure, SEGA did some pretty crappy decisions also, especially in marketing, but they had the advantage in games for a long time, which is what should have mattered in the end. It didn't.

As for Yakuza 3 not coming to the West, oh well, if 2 flopped as you say then that's natural I suppose, though I thought being a new gen and all they'd give it another shot. I guess I had the wrong impression that the Yakuza games sold OK enough in the West.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Diamond

I really wonder why Shenmue did cost so much to make.  The game started development on Saturn (AFAIK), but many games have much longer legacies and only cost a fraction to make.  Kameo started on N64, STALKER took 10 years or so.  It's this kind of failure in the business level that was always Sega's failing.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zityz

id love a new shenmue myself, as long as the movement is more refined im all for it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r
    GameON said:
    "Meowayne said:
    "SEGA is making good money on the Wii right now. If Shenmue III comes, it will most probably be on the  Wii."
    I would be surprised if it was not released on the PS3 since, as Al3xand3r mentioned, Yakuza is a similar game in many aspects and doing well. Perhaps we'll see Shenmue 3 on PSN ala the new Siren episodes."
    Actually I said they're different. Diamond thinks they're similar. I think Yakuza is more of a brawler while Shenmue 3 was an adventure franchise more than anything else, and the bits with too many fights were actually its worst parts (1 on 1 was fun when it also served story purposes), while for Yakuza they're its best. They share a similar graphics engine and the fighting is obviously inspired by Virtua Fighter for both franchises, which makes them appear more similar then they really are to me. Anyway I don't know if I'd even like 3. They sure fucked up Shining Force. And with Shenmue 2's end it seemed they were going for a more supernatural side, perhaps as absurd as they displayed it in those Shenmue Online CG videos, and I wouldn't have liked that as much.
    GameON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GameON
    Al3xand3r said:
    Actually I said they're different. Diamond thinks they're similar. ...
    Apologies. A long day combined with a little too much Dr. Pepper leads to confusion when reading.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    Actually I said they're different. Diamond thinks they're similar. I think Yakuza is more of a brawler while Shenmue 3 was an adventure franchise more than anything else, and the bits with too many fights were actually its worst parts (1 on 1 was fun when it also served story purposes), while for Yakuza they're its best. They share a similar graphics engine and the fighting is obviously inspired by Virtua Fighter for both franchises, which makes them appear more similar then they really are to me. Anyway I don't know if I'd even like 3. They sure fucked up Shining Force. And with Shenmue 2's end it seemed they were going for a more supernatural side, perhaps as absurd as they displayed it in those Shenmue Online CG videos, and I wouldn't have liked that as much."
    They're far more similar than they're different.  Kenzan and 3 have a lot of adventuring and cutscenes like Shenmue 1 & 2 did.  There are great fighting parts in 3, but I like the adventure parts more (similar in Kenzan).  Shenmue is more like Yakuza than it is like Maniac Mansion or Hotel Dusk, both of them being adventure games.  Yakuza series is more like Shenmue than like Double Dragon, Castle Crashers, or River City Ransom.  I'd say they're 90% similar, 10% different.

I have 3 and I'm really enjoying it like I did Kenzan.  It's certinaly not fucked up at all.

I agree the ending of Shenmue 2 seemed supernatural and dumb.  If they were going to go in that direction I wouldn't want it either.  I actually have formed my own epic ending to the Shenmue saga in my mind.  After many perils and decades of searching, Ryo finally finds Lan Di and defeats him in battle.  All these years of searching and seeking revenge have made Ryo very vengeful and angry.  Just before Ryo is about to kill Lan Di, he sees Lan Di's children, he gets a flashback of when Lan Di killed his own father.  Suddenly he's shocked into reality and sees how pointless all his desire for revenge has been.  In a fit of despair he takes his own life.  Credits roll.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well I don't have Yakuza 3, if it's more like Shenmue then great.

Your ending is teh suq. Ryo needs to get it on with Nozomi already. Man did it suck to have no phone calls in 2.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    Your ending is teh suq. Ryo needs to get it on with Nozomi already. Man did it suck to have no phone calls in 2.
    No way man, Ryo needs to end up beating Nozomi in a fit of anger.  It can't be a tragic ending if Ryo becomes more happy.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Al3xand3r

Why would he have a fit of anger? He's been doing great and learning so many things during his journey. He'd be a better person than that! If he was just another angry fool then he'd never be friends with all these people, they wouldn't help him and he'd fail. I guess I should also note I liked the original far more than the second. It was less game perhaps, but more experience. The second had more game but lost some of the atmosphere, charm and soul. Also, no forklifts is fail. Both are epic overall though.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Diamond
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Why would he have a fit of anger? He's been doing great and learning so many things during his journey. He'd be a better person than that! If he was just another angry fool then he'd never be friends with all these people, they wouldn't help him and he'd fail. I guess I should also note I liked the original far more than the second. It was less game perhaps, but more experience. The second had more game but lost some of the atmosphere, charm and soul. Also, no forklifts is fail. Both are epic overall though."
    There was a lot of foreshadowing in Shenmue 2.  People telling him not to seek revenge but that continues to be his main goal.  This is the one lesson he's failing to learn.  Also there was the whole story about Ryo's father killing someone in the past.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Al3xand3r

We don't know how and why. It's possible it was an accident he was forced into to stop an evil man's intentions. He doesn't seem to be a murderer from how everyone knows him. Ryo could do the same with Lan Di. Shenmue's far too light hearted to turn this depressing imo. It's not Yakuza! Also, only Lan Di claims Iwao killed someone anyway, maybe he has his facts all wrong, blinded by hate and ambition.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.