Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shigeru Miyamoto

Person » credited in 227 games

Shigeru Miyamoto is best known as the creator of many of Nintendo's most beloved characters and franchises including Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, Pikmin, F-Zero, Wave Race, and Nintendogs. He was also the chief designer of Nintendo's Touch! Generation console series, which includes the Nintendo DS, Wii, and 3DS.

Rumour: Shigeru Miyamoto Stepping Down

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung
    No Caption Provided

According to a Neogaf user Shikamaru Ninja, Shigeru Miyamoto is expected to leave Nintendo’s EAD division by December. Apparently, it concerns Miyamoto that his position as EAD General Manager may overshadow the content created by new upcoming producers and directors at Nintendo’s largest division. Takashi Tezuka is rumored to be taking Miyamoto’s place at EAD once he steps down.

Here is a list of the supposed changes at Nintendo, which the user claims are gathered from from various media sources such as Guardian UK, Nikkei and Wired:

• Major shift in Kyoto development sources involving three new Research & Development buildings
    • Shigeru Miyamoto stepping down as EAD General Manager
    • Takashi Tezuka becoming new EAD General Manager
    • New Groups / New Producers announced for EAD Kyoto / SPD Kyoto
    • EAD Tokyo Expansion / Masahiro Sakurai possibly Joining EAD Tokyo
    • New Division lead by Miyamoto with younger staff focused on smaller scale games
    • Miyamoto’s Departure Inspiring New IPs for the EAD Kyoto Division

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495509

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

That's really not that surprising. There has been talk of his role changing for a while now. He's supposedly already focusing more on smaller projects than the larger ones, stepping down from his General Manager role completely would be the next logical step.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

I'm happy about this natural move, it's high time Nintendo let their younger designers reign freer, without tea tables being upended. His new rumoured role sounds perfect both for himself and the company, working with fledgling designers on small projects will fuel a new generation of creativity, which could potentially impact the larger projects.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@GrantHeaslip said:

I don't think this would make a huge difference one way or another -- I've had the impression that Miyamoto hasn't been intimately involved in development for a while anyway. This is fairly in line with that story last year which said mostly the same thing.

The line about "inspiring new IPs" is exactly what I want from Nintendo now. The last major new console IP they put out (discounting the Wii * games) was Pikmin. Games like Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword are certainly not stagnant, but I think totally new universes are long overdue.

I would love to see Nintendo get in the business of making small and creative games, like what double fine has done. There is a lot of talent at Nintendo and i'd like to see new series and ideas they can come up with.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaFt

I think these changes, even if it won't really become radically different, is good for Nintendo. New producers with fresh ideas are always welcome.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@GrantHeaslip said:

I don't think this would make a huge difference one way or another -- I've had the impression that Miyamoto hasn't been intimately involved in development for a while anyway. This is fairly in line with that story last year which said mostly the same thing.

The line about "inspiring new IPs" is exactly what I want from Nintendo now. The last major new console IP they put out (discounting the Wii * games) was Pikmin. Games like Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword are certainly not stagnant, but I think totally new universes are long overdue.

What's given you that impression, he's had a hand in practically everything Nintendo has put out recent years. He's been spread thin, he's had no time to focus on some of the thing he'd like to, that's what has prompted all this.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@SaFt said:

I think these changes, even if it won't really become radically different, is good for Nintendo. New producers with fresh ideas are always welcome.

Fresh ideas is the number one thing they need right now. They are brilliant game makers, but nintendo's IPs have been more of the same since the wii or even before.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By FreakAche

Obviously Miyamoto stepping down is the headline grabber, but I think the restructuring in general might be bigger news.

As much as I love Nintendo, it's been apparent for a while that they're in need of some shake up behind the scenes. The games that are coming out of their Tokyo team have been consistently better than the games coming out of the much larger team in Kyoto. It would be great if they could get all of their studios to that same standard of quality.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By iamjohn

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

Fuck man, are you kidding me? That would be awesome!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By TheHT

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

What's given you that impression, he's had a hand in practically everything Nintendo has put out recent years. He's been spread thin, he's had no time to focus on some of the thing he'd like to, that's what has prompted all this.

That's probably why GrantHeaslip feels that way.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@TheHT:

I'm confused, that doesn't make sense..He's been spread thin on the development side, his current role requires him to have a hand in every projects development, at every stage he's required to play-test and provide feedback. How is that not hands-on?

@GrantHeaslip: That's certainly true. His seniority has resulted in that. He doesn't appear to be happy about that aspect of his current role, in recent interviews he often mentions his eagerness to apply focus on fewer projects like the old days.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Phatmac

Makes sense. Good puck to Shiggy and Nintendo.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Phatmac
    @Phatmac
    Makes sense. Good puck to Shiggy and Nintendo.
    Luck.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By TheHT

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@TheHT:

I'm confused, that doesn't make sense..He's been spread thin on the development side, his current role requires him to have a hand in every projects development, at every stage he's required to play-test and provide feedback. How is that not hands-on?

@GrantHeaslip: That's certainly true. His seniority has resulted in that. He doesn't appear to be happy about that aspect of his current role, in recent interviews he often mentions his eagerness to apply focus on fewer projects like the old days.

Because he's spread so thin, he may not be able to be "intimately involved" with any particular game. If it's like you said, and he's not had time to really focus on some things, then that could have come through in the games.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By awadnin

I like this rumor because of these two things below:

1. Miyamoto will have freedom to design new games by himself, and in the same he will train younger staff about how to make great games. I think this will help Nintendo's future.

2.Masahiro Sakurai Will come back again to Nintendo as an employer. According to the rumor, he will join to EAD Tokyo, so he will be a great addition to this branch. I think Nintendo aims to make this branch get bigger to make more games.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By EpicSteve

He's starting a company with Cliffy B.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Dalai

@EpicSteve said:

And making a new Jazz Jackrabbit for the Wii U.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

That all sounds like great news actually. I am really excited to see Miyamoto working on new IPs.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Zekhariah

The three new R&D centers is the most interesting part to me. That seems like it could lead to a shorter cycle for the Wii U (4 year?) and 3DS (Nintendo did say it would be quicker than the DS lifetime). Like a new clean slate design for a higher performance console in 2015, around the time semiconductor manufacturing is supposed to be at 14nm (ignoring Intel being there a few years earlier). Or maybe a Nintendo game development framework that could be made available to 3rd parties.....

But its probably just research to improve the performance of Mii Verse and trying to figure out the social networking stuff >.>.

Hopefully Miyamoto, if he switches roles, enjoys it and stays on in the business. Him moving around - sure. But getting out entirely would be a loss. If nothing else, having him involved should drastically improve the odds of any good new IPs receiving the sort of attention they need.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@Zekhariah said:

The three new R&D centers is the most interesting part to me. That seems like it could lead to a shorter cycle for the Wii U (4 year?) and 3DS (Nintendo did say it would be quicker than the DS lifetime). Like a new clean slate design for a higher performance console in 2015, around the time semiconductor manufacturing is supposed to be at 14nm (ignoring Intel being there a few years earlier). Or maybe a Nintendo game development framework that could be made available to 3rd parties.....

But its probably just research to improve the performance of Mii Verse and trying to figure out the social networking stuff >.>.

Hopefully Miyamoto, if he switches roles, enjoys it and stays on in the business. Him moving around - sure. But getting out entirely would be a loss. If nothing else, having him involved should drastically improve the odds of any good new IPs receiving the sort of attention they need.

In addition to the three, Monolith soft have set up a studio right next to the Kyoto HQ.

No Caption Provided
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By musubi

@MattyFTM said:

That's really not that surprising. There has been talk of his role changing for a while now. He's supposedly already focusing more on smaller projects than the larger ones, stepping down from his General Manager role completely would be the next logical step.

Yeah, I mean wasn't this a big ticket news item like early in the spring or something? I remember a bunch of hub-bub about pretty much the same thing.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#24  Edited By wumbo3000

@EpicSteve said:

Ray and Greg are going to lead the company they're making right?

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Well from what many people have said, he isn't really developing the games that much. He is looking over to make sure everything is in check. Plus this has been a thought for a while (and he is getting kinda old, but still good!)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.