Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 19, 2007

This expanded edition of Persona 3 adds additional content and a continuation of the original game's storyline.

Atlus battle programmers how i hate thee

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By babblinmule

So since P3P isn't coming out over here in Europe (to my knowledge at least), i decided to take the plunge and bought P3FES for the PS2 and there's some..... interesting design choices that are making me crazy. Does anyone have any tips on how to handle the clusterfeck that P3 battles are (incompetitent ai etc.)?

I played through persona 4 twice and died only once (mudo be damned!), but im only at july and have died 4 times solely due to bad teammate ai!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Just import P3P. PSP games are region free, and since PSP games cost considerably less in the States, importing would've been the best choice even if the game had gotten a European release.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Darkstar614

Yeah I'd highly consider abandoning FES and trying to get P3P. After playing P3P I never want to have to use the FES battle system again.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Catolf

you can always change team tactic's, Yukari on healing and everyone else doing something else, i never had that much difficulty with the AI.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By aaox
    @Catolf said:
    " you can always change team tactic's, Yukari on healing and everyone else doing something else, i never had that much difficulty with the AI. "
    Exactly what I was going to say.
    RivaOni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RivaOni

Yup what Catolf and Aaox said.

Possible Spoiler:

Try and never rely on Mitsuru healing you...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Catolf said:
    " you can always change team tactic's, Yukari on healing and everyone else doing something else, i never had that much difficulty with the AI. "
    Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Change tactics when needed, and make clever use of the "Rush" feature when you want to attack and not do something dumb. You can toggle it between attacks; just make sure you look at the turn order beforehand and plan out when you're going to rush.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By babblinmule

Ah now i see, i had been completely neglecting the tactics bit. Just played a few hours and was a breeze! Cheers everyone for the help.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By Catolf
    @babblinmule said:

" Ah now i see, i had been completely neglecting the tactics bit. Just played a few hours and was a breeze! Cheers everyone for the help. "

Glad things are going better for you!

Oh another small tip, ALWAYS scan the enemies. Then the AI will remember the weakness  even if you forget it and they'll exploit it for you..
    RivaOni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RivaOni
    @Catolf: 

Aaah Battle Order, then Scan, attack the enemy whos weaknesses matches your Persona's strength, then switch to a different Persona to get rid of the rest then All Attack :D
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpiralStairs

Yeah, just get used to the tactics, use rush whenever you want them to attack, and always scan the enemy right away. 

I never had any trouble with the battle system, It's actually my favorite in the SMT series after the press turn system.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By endaround

Also never have equiped a persona with a weakness whenever dealing with unknown enemies.  They can easily keep knocking you down and you'll never get back up.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By sagesebas
    @babblinmule: i've been playing P3P and I ahve it set up so I can control all my party members that makes it easier
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SonicFire

The AI will actually do consistent things. But unlike in P4, you have to be very careful about who you bring into battle. 

Basically, P3 is WAY harder than P4, and the FES chapter is even harder. It's not unbeatable by any stretch, but you just have to be very strategic, from fusing to affinities.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By EVHKwick

I like the P3 system as much as P4 since it requires smart fusing and tactics. In P4, it's too easy to destroy most of your enemies, so the battles get mundane much quicker (with the exception of the optional boss fights).

Yukari is an absolute must in battle though. I don't see how this game would be beatable without her set as healing/support.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Hourai

I just stopped using Mitsuru entirely for obvious reasons. Things have been going much better since. 

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Flappy

I don't remember having much problems with Mitsuru.  Sure, she used Marin Karin/Mind Charge at weird times, but never to the extent of killing the entire team.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.