Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

I´m expecting great thing from Persona 5

Ventilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ventilator

After playing Persona 3 and watching Persona 4 I noticed that every single goddamn thing that I found wrong or annoying with Persona 3 is absolutely fixed in 4. 

Don´t hate me if I accidentaly spoil something from either P3 or 4, because I warned you right here.

Let´s recount:
     THINGS PERSONA 4 DID BETTER
    1) You can control your entire party, so you won´t blame the stupid AI on your deaths.
    2) Boss fights have way more context. 90% of the boss fights in P3 were "Hey, there´s a monster who looks like all the other ones but is somehow stronger", while in P4 you get the whole scene regarding the person´s inner feelings and all.  They all also look completely unique.
    3) When you are in the items menu and wish to use 5 medicines on a dude, you don´t have to select the item again every single time.
    4) When making a new Persona and it automatically registers, it registers WITH all the skills it inherited, and not only the skills that came with it. 
    5) You can check what each skill does when making a new Persona. Honestly, if I hadn´t seen P4 first I would have been totally lost.
    6) All party member social links available.
    7) No Fuuka or Fuuka equivalent VA-wise  
    8) You have control over which skills your character´s personas keep and lose.
    9) No stupid excuses to keep people off your party. What really annoyed me in P3 and kept me from trying new party members was the fact that they constantly decided to take a vacation, betray me, or die. I was so happy that the party I originally went with stayed put, story-wise.
    10)And also, I liked the story better (I accept this as being IMO, you may disagree) 

So what I´m saying is, if they keep this up with P5, learn from their mistakes and fix everything about a  game that was great nonetheless...well... I won´t be buying FFXIII, that´s for sure.

EDIT: GREAT THINGS, I meant GREAT THINGS, can a mod edit the thread title?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Ventilator: Like most of these types of lists, there are flaws: 

2. If you paid attention to the story in Persona 3, you would have realised that each full moon boss shadow was of a different arcana and was shaped to represent that arcana.  It was not out of context for the story at all, especially when you think about the final boss. 

8. So what?  When the characters in Persona 3 replaced their Personas skills, they always replaced it the way the player would replace it if he wanted to perform the best in combat. 
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

See?  And people complain about game sequels. 

Although, I don't agree with you on the story or characters, but as you say, it's an IMO thing.  I, for one, liked Fuuka. 
    And the rumored PSP port of Persona 3 fixes a few of the problems you had with the game.  "Persona 3 Portable? What?"

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By donchipotle

I just want new game plus to let me keep my money and level like in Persona 3 so I can recall all really strong dudes and just rush through the dungeons to get to story. Pulling out Satan and Helel(Lucifer) in Persona 3 and then just using Armageddon broke that game way early on and I loved every moment of it. 

Also, I think the social links need to be better. Persona 3's Links were alright, and I found them more interesting than the P4 ones, but both sets of links boiled down to "I have problems. Talking to you makes me solve them on my own. I love you." 

I'm not so sure about the all party member S.Link. I liked how in Persona 3 only the female characters had S. Links and to even initiate them you had to have certain stats high enough. In Persona 4 since maxing party S. Links equals true Persona, it's fine, but I liked it better when the cast of Persona 3 got their True Persona through their own means. Giving all party members an s. link would just make it so there are less NPCs to interact with, and that's something I like about these games. 

And in P3, really only one party member wasn't permanent. Everyone else was fair game. 

And I liked Fuuka's voice. It's a lot less annoying than Rise. And I LIKE Laura Bailey and I'm saying this. 

So I agree with parts of your list, anyway.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @PenguinDust said:
    "See?  And people complain about game sequels. 

Although, I don't agree with you on the story or characters, but as you say, it's an IMO thing.  I, for one, liked Fuuka. 
    And the rumored PSP port of Persona 3 fixes a few of the problems you had with the game.  "Persona 3 Portable? What?" "

Did you like Fuuka's voice?  Because I preferred Fuuka over Rise, but man her voice over was bad.
    Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shiftshaper

Most of those things are minor, but yes they did improve some things. Although some points were pretty weak, like the one about the medicines, and the bosses. There are minor bosses in tartarus but also plenty of unique bosses during the full moon events. And the whole "youre not me" thing was pretty good in the begininng, but got stale after a while. 
    I enjoyed P3 more then 4 though. I think that has to do with the games being very similar, so whichever one you play second will always be "the other one" in your mind. P3 definetly had a better, and I hate to say it, but more "epic" story. (IMO, dur.)
    Ventilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ventilator

@FluxWaveZ:  
     I knew that each shadow was of a diffrent arcana, but I didn´t know how is that significant in any way.
    The average joe doesn´t know what the heck a fortune shadow or a judgement shadow is supposed to look like, so he wouldn´t care if it looks like it or not.

And about the other thing,  Vinny and Jeff got rid of Masukukaja, everyone else said that it would be a bad idea. Just because the characters in P3 replace it the right way doesn´t mean every player will agree with it. I for example would have liked more Mediaramas in my party, but they were replaced.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By donchipotle
    @Ventilator said:
    "  @FluxWaveZ:  
     I knew that each shadow was of a diffrent arcana, but I didn´t know how is that significant in any way.
    The average joe doesn´t know what the heck a fortune shadow or a judgement shadow is supposed to look like, so he wouldn´t care if it looks like it or not.

They would if they looked at the tarot/arcana cards since that is what they are based on.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @VelvetLore04: I kind of diasgree about the social links.  I think it's way more interesting to get to know the members of your team than others.  One thing I didn't like is that you could be best buds with Yosuke and having Yukiko as your girlfriend, but then it's like that it feels as though it breaks up the team feeling.  Maybe if they made it so that there's actually no one in the team that has their own social links, but make the Fool s. link more significant.  Each level up of the Fool s. link, for example, could be a different team member revealing some dark secret to the rest of the team instead of short, bonding moments.
    Ventilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ventilator
    @VelvetLore04:  Really? They were supposed to look like the cards? I was expecting something way more deep like, if a fortune teller pulls a strength card for you it means you are handsome, with long brown hair and an eyepatch, and that´s what the boss was based on. I got some Googling to do now, excuse me.

And I understand that some of the stuff is pretty minor. But the medicine thing is still pretty annoying. Especially for me, as I have 99 potions (the weakest kind) constantly with me in every FF game I play, even at the end game.  Good for a minor heal, and they are usually really cheap. There´s absolutely no reason why it should have been the way it was in P3.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By donchipotle
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @VelvetLore04: I kind of diasgree about the social links.  I think it's way more interesting to get to know the members of your team than others.  One thing I didn't like is that you could be best buds with Yosuke and having Yukiko as your girlfriend, but when it's like that it feels as though it breaks up the team feeling.  Maybe if they made it so that there's actually no one in the team that has their own social links, but make the Fool s. link more significant.  Each level up of the Fool s. link, for example, could be a different team member revealing some dark secret to the rest of the team instead of short, bonding moments. "

That's a fair compromise, I think. Since the Fool arcana is the whole team, it's an interesting idea that leveling up the Link means learning more about your party. It sounds better than doing it automatically because you figure out plot.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Ventilator: First of all, the average Joe would not be playing this game.  If he was, he would have the arcana cards be flashed in his face during several moments in this game.  I didn't know anything about tarot cards before Persona 3 but now I at least know all of the major arcana.  And think about not just what it represents by the looks of it, but what it represents by the definition of the arcana cards, that are present throughout the game and that you can realise through your interactions with the s. links. 

And about the other thing, your party members never gained things that were dramatically different from something else.  After the beginning, for example, they always learned stuff like Ziodyne to replace Zionga or Matarukaja to replace Tarukaja.  There would be no major decision taking so it doesn't change anything.
    droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By droop
    @VelvetLore04: Yeah but his point is that the average gamer doesn't do that. 

I'm only up to the Emperor and Empress ones I think. Those made sense. Man I need to finish Persona 3.. (And stay spoiler free unlike Persona 4 :/ )
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By donchipotle
    @Ventilator said:
    " @VelvetLore04:  Really? They were supposed to look like the cards? I was expecting something way more deep like, if a fortune teller pulls a strength card for you it means you are handsome, with long brown hair and an eyepatch, and that´s what the boss was based on. I got some Googling to do now,  =

I might be detecting sarcasm, but yes, the arcana cards are based on tarot cards.
    The Fool arcana card
    The Fool arcana card
    The Fool tarot card
    The Fool tarot card
    Ventilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ventilator
    @PenguinDust said:
    " See?  And people complain about game sequels. 

And the rumored PSP port of Persona 3 fixes a few of the problems you had with the game.  "Persona 3 Portable? What?" "
    If it ends up happening I´m definitely going to get the PSP version and then replay the game just for the fact that you can control your party. I´ll bet right now that I won´t have any problems with the final boss that time around.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By penguindust
    @FluxWaveZ: 

I never even realized people might have a problem with her voice.  I guess I liked it if it never occurred to me.  Fuuka was a completely different type of person than Rise, so I believe her voice fit her character.  It was fun hearing Rise say "You're so cool, senpai" but Fuuka's post battle support was fun, too.  I enjoyed her S. Link and talking to her after class at the dorm.  I just went to Youtube to refresh my memory of her voice and again, I have no problem with the voice acting and believe her whispery tone suits her timid and unsure character.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @PenguinDust: Actually, I listened to her voice again and she just sounds a little older than she looks, but it's not that bad.  I think The Answer part of Persona 3 is where her voice got messed up.  A different voice actor maybe?
    Shiftshaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shiftshaper

I just thought her voice was terrible when I first heard it. But I either got used to it or she got more into it because it seemed to get better fast.
    Koihime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Koihime

Actually, In Persona 5 i thought of putting Nanako as a playable character. Of course she's all grown up......... and Shu also a playable character now a teenager...... and i was hoping for Igor to cut his nose a little bit... Just Kidding ^_^.................   And i also wanted that you can save inside a dungeon you know like a quick save ^_^

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.