Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Level 99 -- Have You Done It?

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By ChrisTaran

I'm on my second play-through of the game now (thanks ER!). And I was just doing some level grinding while listening to some podcasts when it hit me...does anyone ever reach level 99?

In my first play through I actually tried to do a bit a grinding, I know it's not really needed, but it's just one of those RPG habits I can't break, and I only got to about level 78. This time, I'm a little past half way and I'm at level 53. 

I guess my point being that, it's quite hard to get to max level.  Each level, obviously, gets harder and harder to get to, particularly with the quick diminishing returns after awhile in dungeons. 

Has anyone here ever gotten to level 99?  Does anyone other than me even have an interest in doing so?
    Just curious to see what the rest of the community thinks.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Nasar7

What difficulty are you on? If I remember correctly, its a bit easier on expert but you do still have to grind for it. And yeah, its worth it just for the awesome personas you can fuse once you reach lvl 99.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Pepsiman

Persona 4 is a bit nice to those who want to actually undergo this endeavor, since you can trade the fisherman for a sword which gives you a 50% XP boost, I believe. It's what I personally used to get up into the 90s fairly quickly so I could fuse Izanagi no Okami, even if that wasn't a particularly great reward.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ChrisTaran
    @Nasar7: I'm on normal difficulty, guess I'll have to do expert on my 3rd play through!

@Pepsiman: See, I hate fishing so I usually avoid it unless it's a rainy day and I have nothing else to possibly do (and I'm not in a grinding mood), so I had no idea that sword existed.  I'll have to look for it now!
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By zitosilva

No, I've never been much of a grinder. Just having enough to beat the game is enough to me, though I was a little overleveled by P4's ending.

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By nexas

Nope I got high enough to fuse Lucifer (93 I think) and went and fought the true final boss.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By babblinmule

Nah, I guess lvl 99 in persona 4 never really appealed to me as theres no real incentive to reach it other than Izanagi-no-okami, which as Pepsiman said, is not all that great. Still, for the perfectionists, the game is geared towards reaching it due to things like XP boosts and SP refilling in the later levels.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Pepsiman

@ChrisTaran: You can actually avoid doing quite a bit of fishing if you research how to get the sword ahead of time. (I apologize for not remembering the name off the top of my head.) I do know that it involves getting a better fishing rod than you start off with by trading even more fish, but you can get those from Tanaka sometime in... October-ish, I think. Other than that, you only need to seriously fish once or twice for a specific type and there's lots of info about what signs to pay attention to so you know when to gamble the bait and when not to. It's time-consuming, but I probably would have gone insane getting to 91 if I didn't get the sword ahead of time.

Intrepid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Intrepid

If you go solo in Magatsu Inaba with that xp gear on, you can get a really good chuck of xp.  The highest i've gone up to is level 94, mainly for Lucifers Victory Cry (I was doing laps around Magatsu).  I thought anything higher would be overkill.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stang

Level 99 is easy using that pringle king (may not be his real name) auto leveling trick. Cheesy as hell, but it works.

Legitimately, I have not. Takes too much damn time.

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vision
    ChrisTaran said:
    @Nasar7: I'm on normal difficulty, guess I'll have to do expert on my 3rd play through!@Pepsiman: See, I hate fishing ... [more]
    There's two XP pieces. :)

And Mr. Pringles farming makes it hella easy since you can just go to sleep while it does everything for you.  It is cheesy as Stang mentioned though. :P
    eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By eirikr

I've done it twice, and it's really not worth it because you don't automatically jump to 999HP/999SP like you do in P3. Once you reach 93 to fuse Lucifer, consider yourself done.

DragonofFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DragonofFate

I'd try to, but the thought of all the grinding makes me shudder.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By vidiot

/has a vision that one day there will be an achievement for hitting lvl 99 for a Persona game.
    /dies.

porridgelad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By porridgelad

only got to lvl83 on my first play through, gonna try expert as soon as i have the time for a second playthrough and try for the max level

AustonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christaran: yeah, naturally.

Levelling up, grinding, gaining EXP and new items... learning skills and exploiting weaknesses in enemies is why RPG's exist.

So when I boot up the game and its like a low tier Boy Meets World episode where everyone talks about stuff no one cares about... fake characters building fake emotional attachments to absolutely nothing... orchestrated laughing at unfunny stuff in pixelated hallways... it's very irritating and naturally, the RPG player in me takes it out on the grinding, the constant barrage of smashing heads with swords. It's therapy for the Sims/Animal Crossing/Bad Hentai acting festering cancerous aspect in these after school special games. Like... if there's a whole cinematic episode built around TOFU, which is expected from a JapoRPG, that's an automatic 5 hours of grinding for me. Naturally, it's not even my choice, dude. :(

What sucks is... at level 99, there seems to be some limitations now. I been running around Inaba all day and not one Mr. Pringles. And I friggin' love Pringles, dude!

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
    AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always interesting to see a thread bumped from 13 years ago when it obviously isn't just a bot trying to sell boner pills or something equally stupid.

I don't think I have much else to say other than... I immediately thought of Disgaea. Which is a series designed for specifically this kind of sicko (no offense, I have those tendencies myself). I played Disgaea 1-3 before I tapped out. Great games.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not Persona 4, but here's a picture of my lvl 99 P3P save file that's probably as old as this thread is.

No Caption Provided

Please don't make fun of my dirty PSP.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
    AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_ said:

Please don't make fun of my dirty PSP.

I mean, mine is probably worse than yours. A friend of a friend found it in a rental car in 2010 and didn't want it, and I claimed dibs. It was the oldest model there was, charging cable was missing, it had a Spongebob UMD in it, and was set to German language. I assume it belonged to some German tourists.

It worked out since I'm not much for portable systems and probably never would have bought one for myself. Enjoyed the hell out of P3P and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, which got me into that series. But that PSP was beat to hell already when I got it.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistpreacher: If German tourist found my PSP right now, as some sort of universal karma make-good, they'd get a PSP with a UMD copy of Oldboy in it, which is fun to think about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.