Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

My journey in to Persona 4 animation: ep 16

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

Edited By metalsnakezero
    Shut up and kiss me!
    Shut up and kiss me!

And so we enter the TV again

With the fun times of the trip behind us, we return back to the story as Naoto try her best to pick at the team and hints at them on what she has in store with the murder case. Its soon apparent that Naoto is thrown in to the TV and having her secrets reveled by her own shadow that twist our level headed detective's world.

For those of you who don't know, I like Naoto's character above most of the other cast. She's cool, smart, and later on innocent in some cute ways. But its her background of hiding her gender and the way she acts like an adult that is reflective in society. She may be strong minded and tough but its really all an act even if she doesn't realize it. She's pretty much a kid playing around with adult type business. Her gender conflict isn't about should she act like a girl but does her gender fit with the ideal setting she's in. Even in these times it is hard for woman to fit in to fields, like the law enforcement, that men have mostly been in for years.

In the show, the conversion between Naoto and her shadow was a intriguing one compare to the game where it had many mood changes due to visual cues. At the start the mist around them was a greenish yellow and light blues but as the shadow start to poke at Naoto's emotions, the colors changed to reds and oranges, making the mood more unsettling just like how Naoto feels at that moment. Its an example of what makes animation great is that you can do things that help set the mood.

This episode of what turns out to be a two parter continues on the struggles of one's true self and I look forward to Naoto's conclusion.

Investigation team, GO!

Highlights

Yukiko not having it with Teddie BS
    Rise La Forge
    Rise La Forge
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By metalsnakezero
    Shut up and kiss me!
    Shut up and kiss me!

And so we enter the TV again

With the fun times of the trip behind us, we return back to the story as Naoto try her best to pick at the team and hints at them on what she has in store with the murder case. Its soon apparent that Naoto is thrown in to the TV and having her secrets reveled by her own shadow that twist our level headed detective's world.

For those of you who don't know, I like Naoto's character above most of the other cast. She's cool, smart, and later on innocent in some cute ways. But its her background of hiding her gender and the way she acts like an adult that is reflective in society. She may be strong minded and tough but its really all an act even if she doesn't realize it. She's pretty much a kid playing around with adult type business. Her gender conflict isn't about should she act like a girl but does her gender fit with the ideal setting she's in. Even in these times it is hard for woman to fit in to fields, like the law enforcement, that men have mostly been in for years.

In the show, the conversion between Naoto and her shadow was a intriguing one compare to the game where it had many mood changes due to visual cues. At the start the mist around them was a greenish yellow and light blues but as the shadow start to poke at Naoto's emotions, the colors changed to reds and oranges, making the mood more unsettling just like how Naoto feels at that moment. Its an example of what makes animation great is that you can do things that help set the mood.

This episode of what turns out to be a two parter continues on the struggles of one's true self and I look forward to Naoto's conclusion.

Investigation team, GO!

Highlights

Rise La Forge
    Rise La Forge
    AxleStukov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AxleStukov

Definitively agree with the way they handled the shadow scene, the game scenes always felt weak, especially Naoto where the two of them are just standing there. With Naoto remaining calm until near the end when she suddenly starts breaking down because, HEY WE GOTTA HAVE THIS BOSS FIGHT. The way the anime handled Naoto's in particular was great, the changing colors, the monitors, her shadow's mannerisms all add up to being something that believably causes the normally cool and collected Naoto to lose it. Overall I've enjoyed the way they handled almost everyone's shadow scenes so far, the exception being Kanji who sadly it seems the rather good treatment that happened in the game was all thanks to Atlus's localization team.

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SilvarusLupus

I would also like to state that in the game Naoto never said "You're not me!" It seemed that Kanji's comment made the Shadow go berserk. Well, they fixed that here, which I liked.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

@AxleStukov said:

Definitively agree with the way they handled the shadow scene, the game scenes always felt weak, especially Naoto where the two of them are just standing there. With Naoto remaining calm until near the end when she suddenly starts breaking down because, HEY WE GOTTA HAVE THIS BOSS FIGHT. The way the anime handled Naoto's in particular was great, the changing colors, the monitors, her shadow's mannerisms all add up to being something that believably causes the normally cool and collected Naoto to lose it. Overall I've enjoyed the way they handled almost everyone's shadow scenes so far, the exception being Kanji who sadly it seems the rather good treatment that happened in the game was all thanks to Atlus's localization team.

Shadow Kanji wasn't really any different in the English localization of the game. He was a fruit, but the game's structure didn't push it as much as the anime does. That being said, Naoto's Shadow in the anime is definitely a step up from the way it's depicted in the game. Both from the Shadow's general manner and with the addition of enervating Yosuke while preparing to operate on Naoto.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By mutha3
    @AxleStukov said:

Overall I've enjoyed the way they handled almost everyone's shadow scenes so far, the exception being Kanji who sadly it seems the rather good treatment that happened in the game was all thanks to Atlus's localization team.

I've never played the Japanese version of P4, but I somewhat doubt that.  The localization team has always said the script for P4 was extremely faithful to the original. If the Japanese version of P4 is closer to the anime than the game, they didn't "localize" they "rewrote".

Anyway, y'all are making this episode sound pretty good. I've felt most shadow confrontations(all of them, barring Yukiko actually) so far have been rushed and a little anticlimactic, so I'm looking forward to seeing if they managed to buck the trend when I have the time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.