Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Persona MMO?!

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheMustacheHero

So I was looking round the web and I stumbled upon this.
    http://megaten.aeriagames.com/guide/interface
    Is this a freaking Persona MMO?
    I think I might download this just to see what's up...

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Axersia

This thread made me facepalm.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Pepsiman

That isn't a Persona MMO; it's more related to the main Shin Megami Tensei games than anything else. The gameplay mechanics and whatnot are a lot more reminiscent of those than today's Persona games, as they play pretty differently, what with the demon negotiation stuff going on and whatnot.

That said, I personality don't find Imagine to be much of a quality game. This may be my opinion coming from when I beta tested it, but it really had too many problems that weren't bugs for me to enjoy it that much at all. Maybe you'll be able to overcome those problems and find something to like underneath it all, but I came away thinking that it was very much so a free, microtransaction-based MMO through and through.

Edit: I feel like humorously emphasizing how much, I dislike the game. Since apparently the text in my one blog entry about it here has been mysteriously neutered, the first comment I write in which I basically describe the intro sequence at the time when the game was a closed beta describes my feelings pretty nicely.

WOO SNAKEMAN!
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Shin Megami Tensei ≠ Persona. Persona is a spin off from the Shin Megami Tensei games. Imagine is part of Shin Megami Tensei, not Persona.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah, I wasn't really a fan of Imagine either.
    And it saddens me when people think that Persona is the name of the overarching series. Persona's a spin-off.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By vidiot
    LordAndrew said:
    "Yeah, I wasn't really a fan of Imagine either. And it saddens me when people think that Persona is the name of the overarching series. Persona's a spin-off."
    It's also not helping that there is a difference between the Megami Tensei series, and the "Shin" Megami Tensei series. From my understanding, Persona is part of the original Megami Tensei series, while it is advertised in the west as part of the Shin Megami Tensei series. (Someone smarter clarify this.)
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    vidiot said:
    "LordAndrew said:
    "Yeah, I wasn't really a fan of Imagine either. And it saddens me when people think that Persona is the name of the overarching series. Persona's a spin-off."
    It's also not helping that there is a difference between the Megami Tensei series, and the "Shin" Megami Tensei series. From my understanding, Persona is part of the original Megami Tensei series, while it is advertised in the west as part of the Shin Megami Tensei series. (Someone smarter clarify this.)"
    I dunno. The whole Megami Tensei thing is confusing. But I do believe the original persona was called "Megami Ibunruko Persona" or something like that, which confuses things even more.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the subject could do some sort of a summary of the thing.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Well I really know nothing about the series, I just thought Persona was the English name of Shin Megami Tensei, sorry I offended some of you >_>

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By brukaoru
    LordAndrew said:
    Same here... And that everyone thinks they all involve "dating" and spending so much time socializing.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Pepsiman
    TheMustacheHero said:
    "Well I really know nothing about the series, I just thought Persona was the English name of Shin Megami Tensei, sorry I offended some of you >_>"
    I apologize if I came across as being a bit abrasive; a lot of us just haven't had good experiences with that particular MMO after really enjoying some of the other games, so I think, at least from my end, it's a way of telling you not to get your hopes up with that particular game. I mean, if you have fun, you have fun, but it's not exactly a game that most of the Persona and/or Shin Meagmi Tensei fans here think of very kindly.

As for those wanting clarification about Shin Megami versus regular Megami, most of the Japanese editions of the Persona games actually don't have an official affiliation with either one; indeed, they're simply referred to as "Persona" across the Pacific. Atlus USA tacked on the Shin Megami Tensei as a way to make those games slightly more marketable to RPG fans; that line of games, after all, is one of Japan's big RPG franchises. If you knew about them prior to Persona 3, you were probably aware of the general pedigree that they carry. That said, the DS game with Megami Ibunroku Persona in the title actually seems to be a tie in to the first Persona game, as the Japanese title of that game also had Megami Ibunroku Persona in it. I don't think it makes for yet another spin-off of the Shin Megami Tensei games; it just probably provides a more direct connection to one of the games that most of the others lack. I can't say for certain since I haven't played the import version or have much of an inclination to get the English localization later this year, but that's my guess.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By fr0br0

I know this isn't really a Persona MMO, but think how awesome one would be. It would be like how you could have social links with all the other players. You can then take these people with you to dungeons and the stronger the S.L. the more specials you can unlock like in the normal series.

Maybe that's a horrible idea to some people, but I'd play it :D

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

Didn't they say the were going to make one for Japan only or am I smoking crack?

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero

So, I downloaded it, and I played it. About 30 minutes later after completing the tutorials I uninstalled it.
    Worst MMO I've ever played. The combat and controls were terrible, the interface was terrible, your character ran so freaking slow. It was really bad.
    And when you try to "capture" one of these demons, you have to /emote greet for it to 'talk' to you. then it says some crap and starts running away. So you have to do that a billion times to make it go into an egg and pick it up.
    My god, that was bad.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    JJOR64 said:
    "Didn't they say the were going to make one for Japan only or am I smoking crack?"
    I believe they said that imagine would probably be Japan only because of difficulties finding a publisher for western versions, but they succeeded in the end. That's often the problem with these games, finding a publisher. Heck, Persona 4 has about 5 different publishers for different regions. It must have been a logistical nightmare to get it out everywhere.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#15  Edited By LordAndrew
    TheMustacheHero said:
    "So, I downloaded it, and I played it. About 30 minutes later after completing the tutorials I uninstalled it.
    Worst MMO I've ever played. The combat and controls were terrible, the interface was terrible, your character ran so freaking slow. It was really bad.

And when you try to "capture" one of these demons, you have to /emote greet for it to 'talk' to you. then it says some crap and starts running away. So you have to do that a billion times to make it go into an egg and pick it up.My god, that was bad."
    You played it for thirty minutes and actually managed to capture one? Lucky you. I wasted so much time in the beta trying to catch a demon that I didn't even know if I was doing it right.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.