Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

So these Shin Megami Tensei games...

Avatar image for deactivated-6296e29cde7c5
    deactivated-6296e29cde7c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I've been hearing about these games for a long time, and I'm interested in checking on out. Do I have to play Persona 3 to play Persona 4? Or should I start all the way from the beginning?

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Just watch the endurance runs, let Giant Bomb play the game for you.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

Although Persona 4 contains a number of references to Persona 3, understanding of those references is not necessary to play Persona 4.
    With that said, I'd still recommend playing Persona 3 FES before playing Persona 4. Not only will it make the events of September more enjoyable, but Persona 4 tweaks the gameplay in certain ways that may make it hard to go back to P3 after P4.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Coltonio7

Well I like Persona 3 more than 4, but you aren't missing out if you jump to 4.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Hexpane

Well there is the PErsona series, the devil summoner series, and the Digital Devil Saga series all sort of part of the "MegaTen" games.  And of course Nocturne.
    Persona 3/4 are more "action RPG + sims stuff"
    DDS1/2 are more traditional JRPG turn based w/ cyberpunk+demon theme
    Nocturne is like DDS+ Pokemon

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

Persona isn't action-RPG at all. It's entirely turn-based. Devil Summoner is action-RPG.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Axersia

If you wanna get into the MegaTen metaseries as a whole and not just the Persona series, I would recommend you start with SMT3: Nocturne instead. It's the only game in the main SMT series (the direct successor to the original Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei series which was based on a book and started the whole thing) that got localized, and it serves as an excellent introduction to what the series is all about. Stuff like Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner and Persona are all just spin-offs and didn't have SMT in the title when they were originally released in Japan.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By fr0br0

So would it be safe to assume SMT games similar to America's Tom Clancy series? Some games being set in the same universe and others having similar traits.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Axersia

Yeah, I guess you could compare it to that, but MegaTen is barely any different from other long-running RPG franchises like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Tales in how its games relate to eachother. They often share common elements, have multiple established universes, and vary in gameplay as well.

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GHT

I've played Nocturne, P3 and P4 and every game was separate enough to be stand alone, so I wouldn't worry about playing the prior game to understand the newer game. they don't follow one storyline.

the disclaimer is that I don't own devil summoner, just digital devil saga 1 and 2, nocturne, and persona 3 and 4.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Ouroboros

You dont have to play any of the SMT games to enjoy them.  I'd suggest playing Persona 4 over 3 though because of the battle mechanic changes but dont neglect 3, its an amazing game in its own right.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hexpane
    LordAndrew said:
    "Persona isn't action-RPG at all. It's entirely turn-based. Devil Summoner is action-RPG.
    "
    Sorry I meant "dungeon crawler"  haven't touched P3 in a a long time so I could not remember if it was real time or not. 
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By zitosilva
    Axersia said:
    "If you wanna get into the MegaTen metaseries as a whole and not just the Persona series, I would recommend you start with SMT3: Nocturne instead. It's the only game in the main SMT series (the direct successor to the original Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei series which was based on a book and started the whole thing) that got localized, and it serves as an excellent introduction to what the series is all about. Stuff like Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner and Persona are all just spin-offs and didn't have SMT in the title when they were originally released in Japan.
    "
    Yep, you can't go wrong if play Nocturne. Just be advised of one thing, I didn't really understand if you're new to the SMT series or to JRPGs in general. If the later is true I'd advise to start with something else, because Nocturne is (at least for me) mad hard. I've lost the count of how many times I saw the Game Over screen.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24

I didn't play Persona 3 FES when I started Persona 4 and I don't see that it is that necessary. Persona 4 is the best of the two, though both are definitely worth owning. The only problem is that it is hard to find the third one. I got mine off of Amazon for a great price ($25) but I don't know if you could find it in store. Maybe used.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.