Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

What I want from it: Persona X Detective Naoto novel

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

Edited By metalsnakezero

So yeah we know that the Persona 4 spin-off novel is coming, equip with a new designed Naoto and a look at her new life. But there are many things I would like from this interpretation.

1. How Naoto is holding up

Details about her can be taken from this single art piece

A interesting story element is a look at a person's life after a life changing event. In Naoto's case, after understanding her position as a woman in a mostly male work environment as well as knowing her limits as a kid, it'll be interesting to see how she is after year. Is she still having problems dealing with her male co-workers or have they seen her in a new light after solving the Inaba case. From the cover art, Naoto looks to combine her masculine outfit with the tie, pants, and jacket, while embracing her feminine features with revealing her bust and letting her hair grow (Although how hair grows so fast in a year is another story). She also sporting a motorcycle which could mean she's more adventurous than her self-restraint younger self. I could go on with what she eat, buys, and where she lives but we can wait and see (Or read).

2. Her past relationships: From family to friends

Out of all of her friends, Rise is the closest

I wonder if we will meet up with the other characters from the series? There can many logical explanations from any of them to show up in this novel centering around Naoto being away from Inaba for a year. Rise and MC are characters that will most likely bump in to Naoto since they move around a lot. Chie would have some connections to meet up with Naoto since she's was planning on joining the police force after the end of P4. There also a possibility that she made a few friend at her time at the new school, can't spend a year alone in a new place without shaking a few hands. As for family, she only has her Grandfather and butler, which would give her support from time to time, but we don't know much about her parents. Since this is Naoto's story, it is a good opportunity to talk about them for a bit but not too much so that it would feel overbearing.

(Update): Naoto will be partnering with a “mechanized” detective name Sousei Kurogami. Not sure how that is going to work out but since Naoto has experience with other androids (When they're not shooting or axing her) she'll probably have a good time dealing with Kurogami.

3. Dat plot

So what is this case she's on? Could easily be a simple case of kidnappings and it'll just show Naoto using her detective knowledge to get the case down. However, this is Persona we're talking about and nothing is simple. With the experience from jumping in to TVs, Naoto would expect something is odd with the disappearances.

(Update): It looks like it is some supernatural event since the case is surrounding a website called Mayonaka Site. Naoto is teaming up with a “mechanized” detective name Sousei Kurogami to search for Touko Aoi, another detective. So yeah, a Persona story with a robot in it. Surprised!?

What we do know...

The novel is being handled Natsuki Mamiya who has experience with writing super natural story-lines, had worked on a few police animes, and is getting some help from Atlus so it safe to say that the writing would be solid. Shuji Sogabe will be the Illustrator and his past work on the mange versions of P3 and P4 have shown he can do it well. And to show that this isn't some cheap tie-in on the series, Shigenori Soejima is the person who done the cover art, showing that this product is in good hands.

So that is all I hope to see in this novel when it comes out soon (And translated soon).

She became so beautiful
    She became so beautiful
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By metalsnakezero

So yeah we know that the Persona 4 spin-off novel is coming, equip with a new designed Naoto and a look at her new life. But there are many things I would like from this interpretation.

1. How Naoto is holding up

A interesting story element is a look at a person's life after a life changing event. In Naoto's case, after understanding her position as a woman in a mostly male work environment as well as knowing her limits as a kid, it'll be interesting to see how she is after year. Is she still having problems dealing with her male co-workers or have they seen her in a new light after solving the Inaba case. From the cover art, Naoto looks to combine her masculine outfit with the tie, pants, and jacket, while embracing her feminine features with revealing her bust and letting her hair grow (Although how hair grows so fast in a year is another story). She also sporting a motorcycle which could mean she's more adventurous than her self-restraint younger self. I could go on with what she eat, buys, and where she lives but we can wait and see (Or read).

2. Her past relationships: From family to friends

I wonder if we will meet up with the other characters from the series? There can many logical explanations from any of them to show up in this novel centering around Naoto being away from Inaba for a year. Rise and MC are characters that will most likely bump in to Naoto since they move around a lot. Chie would have some connections to meet up with Naoto since she's was planning on joining the police force after the end of P4. There also a possibility that she made a few friend at her time at the new school, can't spend a year alone in a new place without shaking a few hands. As for family, she only has her Grandfather and butler, which would give her support from time to time, but we don't know much about her parents. Since this is Naoto's story, it is a good opportunity to talk about them for a bit but not too much so that it would feel overbearing.

(Update): Naoto will be partnering with a “mechanized” detective name Sousei Kurogami. Not sure how that is going to work out but since Naoto has experience with other androids (When they're not shooting or axing her) she'll probably have a good time dealing with Kurogami.

3. Dat plot

So what is this case she's on? Could easily be a simple case of kidnappings and it'll just show Naoto using her detective knowledge to get the case down. However, this is Persona we're talking about and nothing is simple. With the experience from jumping in to TVs, Naoto would expect something is odd with the disappearances.

(Update): It looks like it is some supernatural event since the case is surrounding a website called Mayonaka Site. Naoto is teaming up with a “mechanized” detective name Sousei Kurogami to search for Touko Aoi, another detective. So yeah, a Persona story with a robot in it. Surprised!?

What we do know...

The novel is being handled Natsuki Mamiya who has experience with writing super natural story-lines, had worked on a few police animes, and is getting some help from Atlus so it safe to say that the writing would be solid. Shuji Sogabe will be the Illustrator and his past work on the mange versions of P3 and P4 have shown he can do it well. And to show that this isn't some cheap tie-in on the series, Shigenori Soejima is the person who done the cover art, showing that this product is in good hands.

So that is all I hope to see in this novel when it comes out soon (And translated soon).

She became so beautiful
    She became so beautiful
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By FLStyle

As Naoto is my P4 GF I demand a line about how she misses MC/Charlie/Yu.

Other than how her hair grew so fast within a year (she looks the exact same in Persona 4 Arena, set 2 months after P4) I'm happy with the initial details.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

@FLStyle: that scene at christmas eve ruined Naoto's entire character for me.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By FLStyle

@Animasta said:

Huh, anything specific?

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Commisar123

Do these things get translations, fan or official, ever?

bigchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By bigchief

Pretty curious about this, since Naoto was one of my favorite characters in P4, so getting to see her do some detectiving firsthand sounds neat. I hope it doesn't suck! I don't know how well these spin off novels usually turn out, US spinoff novels usually aren't very interesting.

For a while I thought the redesign was too much of a departure from the original, but now that I've seen a bigger, clearer version I'm alright with it. I still miss the boss coat and hat, but at least it still looks like her.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they should make a Naoto version of Ace Attorney Investigations, where she solves crimes and has Kanji tagalog like Gumshoe.

Eff stupid Charlie, Naoto should've got with Kanji. Poor Kanji. Just wants to sew dresses and do it with androgynous ladies.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@Brodehouse said:

I think they should make a Naoto version of Ace Attorney Investigations, where she solves crimes and has Kanji tagalog like Gumshoe. Eff stupid Charlie, Naoto should've got with Kanji. Poor Kanji. Just wants to sew dresses and do it with androgynous ladies.

Thats an awesome idea. I went with Chie so in my universe Naoto probably did get with Kanji afterwards.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@JeanLuc said:

@Brodehouse said:

I think they should make a Naoto version of Ace Attorney Investigations, where she solves crimes and has Kanji tagalog like Gumshoe. Eff stupid Charlie, Naoto should've got with Kanji. Poor Kanji. Just wants to sew dresses and do it with androgynous ladies.

Thats an awesome idea. I went with Chie so in my universe Naoto probably did get with Kanji afterwards.

I got together with Yukiko and Naoto because...well...this. (YOU CANNOT DENY IT.)

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@Video_Game_King: You are correct, I can't deny that. But because I saw how all the romances played out in the ER I figured I would just go with Chie.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Wemibelle

@FLStyle said:

@Animasta said:

Huh, anything specific?

He probably means how she dresses up as a girl and talks in a feminine voice. Basically, she makes herself less comfortable to please the MC. It is definitely the worst part of her whole story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.