Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Create Your Own Nation?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Undeadpool

I'm fairly new to the Civ series, I played very little Civ 2, 3 and almost none of 4, but I'll tell you what I played a metric TON of back in the day: Master of Orion 2. The two games are somewhat similar, I'd say MOO2 is less involved, but something it did interestingly (you'll pardon any awkward grammar, I just got done with a 4 hour Civ V session...) was let you create your own race. Each race had certain attributes and when you created your own, it assigned a positive or negative point cost to each attribute, allowing you to start with 10 and go up to 20 points. 
    Long story short, do you think this could've been somehow implemented in the Civ series? As a follow-up: if they'd included this in Civ V, I assume just allowing you to cherry-pick two passive advantages and two unique units, what would you have chosen?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

A big draw and even the tone of Civ 5 is grounded in it's application of real world history. All the bonuses are trying to be as faithful to things that civilization actually did. plus the challenge of not being able to choose your bonuses is part of the experience.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Wait for a mod? 
    In a world where you can pick your own perks, someone finds an exploit and now everyone's making the same custom character. There's a lot of nuance to balance here, its not an MMO where you're just clicking on the thing you want to die.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

Seeing as theres the option to load a mod on the main menu, the OP just has to find where he can download the mod maker if its free so he can just make his own overpowered mod and think he's good when he wins with them.  

But seriously, no civ is perfect because in real life no civ is perfect. Its all up to you to use thier strengths to hide thier weaknesses. 

IrishCoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By IrishCoffee

There are actually already a few mods for new races. 

I was VERY happy when I found out someone made a Celtic Civilization as after a few hours of Civ V it was the one thing I was wishing for. 

I understand the Mod Tools are fairly easy to pick up so perhaps you could make your own mod! Like say...a GiantBomb Civ? That would be all kinds of entertaining.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel

...so I got a hunch new Civs will be in DLC and/or Expansions?

IrishCoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IrishCoffee

Probably, did anyone else get the Steam Edition so they could get Babylon? I have a Marathon game going right now where I placed Babylon EXACTLY between it's two rivers, I was pretty proud of myself for that one.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Undeadpool

Sheesh, people just assume I wanna powergame my way through this or that I'm somehow discontented with the balance. I love the balance and I hate powergaming (no challenge means what's the point?) It was more just to see what kind of crazy combinations you could've come up with. I really don't think the any advantages and units are so amazingly good that if you combined them all, you'd be unstoppable. Also, created nations could be outlawed in multi-player games in case the weird situation came up where there WAS some crazy-powerful combination (as I'm sure someone somewhere would find out as quickly as they could).

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @KaosAngel said:
    " ...so I got a hunch new Civs will be in DLC and/or Expansions? "
    Yeah they are releasing Babylon as DLC later..I think...
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @IrishCoffee said:
    " There are actually already a few mods for new races.  I was VERY happy when I found out someone made a Celtic Civilization as after a few hours of Civ V it was the one thing I was wishing for.  I understand the Mod Tools are fairly easy to pick up so perhaps you could make your own mod! Like say...a GiantBomb Civ? That would be all kinds of entertaining. "
    Who was the leader of the Celtic Civ? Don't tell me it's Cowell...or Bertie...or anyone for that matter.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By ShaneDev

I was kinda wondering how they choose Civs for the game, I was thinking of getting it so might play as the Celtic Civ the other guy mentioned if I do. Does each Civ have a leader that stays the same forever? As in they wouldn't die over time.

vogon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By vogon
    @ShaneDev said:
    "I was kinda wondering how they choose Civs for the game, I was thinking of getting it so might play as the Celtic Civ the other guy mentioned if I do. Does each Civ have a leader that stays the same forever? As in they wouldn't die over time. "

yeah.  you play weird immortal, anachronistic versions of famous leaders from the civilization's history.  so if you're America, you play George Washington, who rose to power in 4,000 BC and lived for at least 6,050 years.
    vogon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By vogon
    @Undeadpool: the idea has some precedent; SMAC allowed you to create custom factions, and Civ 4 (I believe) allowed you to generate a civ, choosing starting techs and your traits (Aggressive/Creative/Expansive/Financial/Industrious/Organised/Philosophical/Spiritual) either inside or outside the game.  it's been a while since I played it, though. 

Civ 5, it probably wouldn't work so hot -- outside of a mod context -- because the civ traits consist of custom units/buildings and very specific things like bonuses to attacking barbarians or culture before the discovery of Steam Power.
    IrishCoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IrishCoffee

The leader for the Celtic Civ was not a name I recalled from my personal studies of Celtic mythology, granted@eroticfishcake said:

" @IrishCoffee said:
    " There are actually already a few mods for new races.  I was VERY happy when I found out someone made a Celtic Civilization as after a few hours of Civ V it was the one thing I was wishing for.  I understand the Mod Tools are fairly easy to pick up so perhaps you could make your own mod! Like say...a GiantBomb Civ? That would be all kinds of entertaining. "
    Who was the leader of the Celtic Civ? Don't tell me it's Cowell...or Bertie...or anyone for that matter. "
       http://www.civfanatics.com/QueenoftheIceni 

That's all the info for the Celtic Mod. After playing it for a couple days it's not the best but it's also a VERY early mod so i'm sure over time it will improve. I do really enjoy that they are an Early Game military powerhouse which is pretty accurate to Celtic History (being very barbarian like).
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Addfwyn

There was a mod in Civ4 called Rhye's and Fall of Civilization that was absolutely amazing for historical accuracy.  Historical start locations, every civ had a special historical win condition, and every civ actually spawned at the right time frame (So you don't start in 4,000 BC unless you're an ancient civilization.  If you play say, America, the game plays itself until you reach the spawn time at 1776 AD).  So that somewhat addresses the immortal leader thing and the weirdness of playing America in 4,000 BC. 

Dunno if there's any word about Rhye doing a mod for Civ5 or not.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By crusader8463

Assuming my simple mind can learn the program, I plan to use the mod tools to make the Canada civilization. Tired of always have to play as England and using my imagination to make it Canada. I think our power will be a health care system that causes your cities to require half the food to create new citizens, and a special AoE artillery unit for the WW2 era or a sniper unit that has a good long range attack/movement but is only effective against human units.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.