Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Civilization V brings brand new gameplay elements to this beloved franchise, while maintaining the "just one more turn" mentality.

Hah! Take that, England!

StupidGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By StupidGamer

I was at 2049 AD, with one turn left to play when I realized that I wouldn't initiate the UN vote early enough to win the game. I was kind of disappointed, but I let the game play out and I lost due to time expiration and England had a higher score. So I loaded my save that was at 2030 AD, giving me 20 turns and I waged war on England. By 2045 England wanted a peace treaty and in the negotiations I picked up 6 cities (plus the 7 I conquered), and also got all of England's luxury resources being sent to me. The end result was enough happiness to finish the last two turns on a Golden Age, enough of a boost to my score to win, and a very satisfying finish. 

All game long I had avoiding conflict and the only military units I had were gifted to me from city states. One city state had even gifted me the giant death robot. The turn before starting the war I bought a powerful military unit in each city near England's borders and then I had at it. During our war two city states took out an English city, I conquered 7 English cities, liberated two city states, and reinstated Germany who England had conquered. It was awesome watching battles all across the map as all that was left when starting the war were about 6 city states, me, England, and Arabia with one city. 

Stuff like that is just crazy epic and REALLY hard to find elsewhere in gaming. Oh, and all this concluded at 5:14 am today. I've been a zombie at work, but it was worth it. My wife probably won't be too happy when I go home and crash for a nap instead of hanging out, but I'll make it up to her soon enough.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

You had to reload so England won, really! God bless the Queen!

StupidGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StupidGamer
    @Scooper said:
    " You had to reload so England won, really! God bless the Queen! "
    True...but it was satisfying because in the late turns before the reload England started attacking the city states and snuffed out all the other Civs besides me and Arabia. Each time she'd attack another city state it would bring up that "I just attacked one of your pets" conversations and to avoid war I kept saying it didn't bother me. After the reload it felt good to smack her down and push her around a bit like she had been doing to the other Civs for the last hundred years or so.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Red12b
    @StupidGamer:  
    Good shit dude, and yeah, those messages are patronising as fuck.  

Although Ramesses said to me your people are like a plague on the earth so I kicked the shit out of him, felt real good. 
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FourWude

The Brits got fat and complacent. They never saw it coming.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mesklinite
    @StupidGamer said:

"but I'll make it up to her soon enough. "  

Just after one more turn right?    
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

Let's be honest here, who doesn't want to nuke and take tabs at England?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The messages they send you can be fun.  Alexander the Great told me I was pathetic, for no apparent reason.  Sent in an army of mechanized infantry and giant death robots to sort him out.  To say the least, his requests for peace fell on deaf ears.
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By mosdl

Civ games are the 15th leading cause for marital consoling in the world, true fact!

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By ErEl

What country did you play as? You didn't say.

StupidGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StupidGamer
    @ErEl said:
    " What country did you play as? You didn't say. "
    Oh, I was playing as Washington. Typically I get along very well with England, I'm not sure why.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By AndrewB

England has always been one of the douche nations for me (up there with Rome and India, but not quite as bad as those two).

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By chilipeppersman

@StupidGamer:  
    you are right on man. I only played the demo of civ 5, and i was hooked. I cant wait to get my full version!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.