Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Skate

Franchise »

EA's take on skateboarding featuring a unique analog stick trick system that has distinquished itself from the Tony Hawk fanchise.

Skate 4, My Boy

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

It's official - the years of comments have paid off, and a new Skate game is in development. Is everyone still hyped for a new entry? What does this bode for the many indie games trying to imitate the gameplay, and for the Tony Hawk remaster?

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I guess EA doesn't hate America?

stanek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks Burgerdicks

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RELEASE NBA LIVE MOBILE IN PAL TERRITORY

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are EA becoming good again?

acslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shook to my core. Love this franchise so much. Feels like the internet really pushed for this in a mostly sincere way. I think there is so much space for skating/extreme sports games from the drought we had till just recently.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they never said Sk4te 4

Rohay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

This better not be that Mobile game they contacted that on skatwr about

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9 chaser324  Moderator

Are EA becoming good again?

Let's not jump to conclusions.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have serious doubts about this being a full, new game. If we can at least get a PC port of Skate 2 or 3, I'll be thrilled and continue playing Skate. for the rest of my days. If it's a mobile game or something to Skate. as Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam was to Pro Skater, I won't be the least bit surprised.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally, I can't wait to see my father again! He must have defeated ISIS while he was away all those years.

thefizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thefizz

It felt like such an absolute non announcement. That's my only criticism. I very much enjoyed Skate during those heady days.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

gusDS says S

gusDS says K

gusDS says A

gusDS says T

gusDS says E

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

gusDS says S

gusDS says K

gusDS says A

gusDS says T

gusDS says E

gusDS says 4

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ToughShed

This going down in the most modern EA way possible is perfect. Not just saying SKATE 4, the absolute easy slam dunk that is right there for you, which has been a meme at this point so your marketing is mostly done for you.

People are right to worry about this being a full Skate, unfortuantely. Modern EA is just so bad. They've been treading water and showing literal tech demo, over a devs shoulder shots of models or concept art type shit for 3 years straight at these shows. Its unreal.

No substantial showing of Dragon Age yet again, really? What the fuck do you guys do over there...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that reported phone call with that skater holds any water, it's a mobile game, though i'd be more than thrilled if it was a full product.
    What does it mean for Skater XL and Session? Nothing, if it's a true Skate game it's potentially coming out next year, maybe the year after, Skater XL is hitting version 1.0 and releasing on consoles on July 28th, and Session has plenty of time to early access it up as much as it wants. At this stage i would say Skater XL controls the best of the two but Session's open world approach has more opportunities, but if you get into modding XL has a lot to offer and i'm looking forward to trying the new map from the developers. Skate 4 would be of interest to all fans of those games, but they might end up preferring the more technical approach of the indie games, it's sale regardless.
    What does it mean for Tony Hawk? Nothing, it's a totally different game, loads of people who like the sim approach also love Tony Hawk games, i will say however that if you haven't played any original Tony Hawk games in a while, you might be surprised at how "simple" they are, the sim games have depth in that they are playgrounds for you to mess around and experiment in, besides unlocking levels and maybe characters there's not a lot to do in THPS besides score challenges, still fun, but maybe a bit shallow content wise in 2020.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Skate 4 actually confirmed or could this be that mobile game there were talks about?

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:

If that reported phone call with that skater holds any water, it's a mobile game, though i'd be more than thrilled if it was a full product.

Its not going to be a mobile game. There were reports for years about that and according to what I read they have scraped and tested a bunch of SKATE projects for years until now when they are just giving the full thing a go.

Again, we will see what that is tho. They didn't bring in the original SKATE guys just for that old mobile rumor tho.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toughshed: The scary part is that it's so early, there's literally nothing on the project yet as if the developers only got the go ahead 5 days ago, then they stick a camera in front of them and ask them to express how excited they are to be working on Untitled Skate Game, if it is just a mobile game that would be savage.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss one day and miss the biggest announcement (to me), yeesh!

The new Tony Hawk can be the new Tony Hawk. It's still going to be arcadey as hell, and that will always have its place.

As for the indie games in development, this will definitely step on their toes a little bit. I play both Session and SkaterXL. Session is MUCH, much deeper than Skate. So unless Skate 4 comes with an "advanced" controls, Session will always be more expressive. I do worry about SkaterXL tho, it's in this weird middle-ground between Skate's accessibility and Sessions advanced controls.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ToughShed

@cikame said:

@toughshed: The scary part is that it's so early, there's literally nothing on the project yet as if the developers only got the go ahead 5 days ago, then they stick a camera in front of them and ask them to express how excited they are to be working on Untitled Skate Game, if it is just a mobile game that would be savage.

LOL yeah to be clear there is a possibility of that but damn, even EA couldn't do that. But I have a very low opinion of them lately.

My main bad thought is its just a remake in some form of the old Skate games. Not that something like that would be bad, especially a game that combined 1 and 2 as a remake, but Skate 4 is what you want.

The other more negative thought is that its something super stripped down. Maybe some small online experience vs the big game we want.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could get away with a stripped down Skate, to be honest. Just a map and a board might be enough. Some of my best times with Skate were watching other people put their footage up.

AKTANE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All they want is a cut of the money now that Session and SkaterXL did all the hard work to advance the genre, and tony hawk is finally coming out. Someone said "tell em were making something, skating seems popular again, we need that money".

Because I feel this is clearly their attitude, I think the game will be a mobile or smaller priced title that they can justify a loss on.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pezen

Part of me want this to just be a mobile game so I can watch the shit show that will follow. But if it's not, I would love a Skate game that was basically just customize your own skater and be given a fun city to skate in. I don't need career mode or a ton of other mini-game objectives. I mean, I want to have a VS mode that is me and my brother compeating to do the best scored trick. But other than that, just give me some fun skating. But yeah, that announcement was vauge as vague goes.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

You could get away with a stripped down Skate, to be honest. Just a map and a board might be enough. Some of my best times with Skate were watching other people put their footage up.

This is my thought as well, and something I tried expressing to the Session devs in the early days. A replay editor and an object dropper will get you a LONG way.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aktane said:

All they want is a cut of the money now that Session and SkaterXL did all the hard work to advance the genre, and tony hawk is finally coming out.

lol at the idea this is all chasing profits.

You don't think Skate 1, 2, 3 are bigger than those games? And that money wasn't worth it to EA to keep the franchise going.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.